Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Has anyone here seen a MPG increase after installing an intake/muffler

Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Djarmpit is on a distinguished road
Djarmpit's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone here seen a MPG increase after installing an intake/muffler

If yes, how big of a difference was it and what is your current set up? Thank you!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
There are NO MPG gains from a muffler or intake.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarmpit View Post
If yes, how big of a difference was it and what is your current set up? Thank you!
I didn't experience any difference with either intake or exhaust mods.

However I did gain 2 mpg when I went from heavy off road tires on steel wheels to passenger car road tires on lightweight alloy wheels.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen a difference in the last two trucks when I tried several different intakes/exhausts. Only diffs can be attributed to the right foot.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
can't say I have.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I did with new header, intake, exhaust, spark plugs and fluids. (When I first got the Pickup and fixed it up). ha Even more when I reduced the weight of my wheels and tires and gained diameter.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I did with new header, intake, exhaust, spark plugs and fluids. (When I first got the Pickup and fixed it up). ha Even more when I reduced the weight of my wheels and tires and gained diameter.
did u compare mileage before adding the header and exhaust and intake?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Nope. My point was kind of that the only way to get decent gains isn't to do one single miracle mod, but to have as many little things as possible adding up in your favor. Each thing I replaces as I restored the truck I was very MPG conscious and it payed off, but you can't just replace a part and get a notable gain.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #9

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
just curious how much the plugs and fluids were responsible on their own.

I've had my share of mods and never seen mileage jump around noticeably..... unless it was driving with a light foot mod... Thats noticeable for me.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post

I've had my share of mods and never seen mileage jump around noticeably..... unless it was driving with a light foot mod... Thats noticeable for me.
this
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post

from lack of being done previously on time per maintenance interval.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
The only way one wont see a difference is because they cant keep their foot out of it

To answer the Op`s question, Yes

After doing deck mod and removing rear cat/adding URD rear simulator and adding Magnaflow my everyday back and forth to work mpg went from 22 to 26.

Dont believe it ? I dont care. I dont drive your Taco, I drive mine.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TacoBuz View Post
The only way one wont see a difference is because they cant keep their foot out of it

After doing deck mod and removing rear cat/adding URD rear simulator and adding Magnaflow my everyday back and forth to work mpg went from 22 to 26.

Uuum...Has anyone here seen a MPG increase after installing an intake/muffler

I'm betting its a 2nd gen not 1st annnd he was asking about a simple intake and muffler...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
even if there was a gain, it would take a few years to pay itself off

get a scan gauge and retrain yourself how to drive while watching the instant mpg readout
Old 03-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TacoBuz View Post

LOL........OK........