1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No CAI allowed w/TRD Super Charger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by KMN-BLU, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU [OP] less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Has anyone else possibly heard that you cannot run a TRD CAI at the same time that you install a TRD SC? I was at the dealership pricing out having the TRD SC installed on my 09. I was planning on adding the TRD CAI and the TRD exhaust at the same time. Service manager took some time and then came back saying he spoke with the TRD group and they recommended that you NOT install the CAI at the same time you have a SC, stating it would run to lean and thus cause overheating. I asked if it could be calibrated to not run lean and was told No. I still plan on adding the SC but I guess I will have to forgo the CAI at this time. Anyone else heard this?

2. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    off topic but how old are you?

3. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You'll have to invest in some additional gear IIRC. Like the APR X-1 or some other aftermarket set up.

4. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO

irrelevant question , Does age preclude me from having a bad ass truck? Just wondering? and I'm fitty sumtin with mo money than cares.

But after being married for many years I feel like im about 105 at least.

5. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    how nice for you:rolleyes:

and calm down i was just wondering how old you were because your name is OLDGEZR and your age says 99

6. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    :rofl:LMAO

7. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    I thought be a grumpy ol fart was part of ageing, sorry if my response was taken the wrong way. I think it was the married part that made me into an asshole though. just sayin.

8. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    also off topic, Panda your sig makes me LoL. :)

On Topic: I guess I could see how it might cause over heating... maybe it is more restrictive than .... well I don't know much about anything so... :(

somebody will be here soon thats knows what they are talking about :D

9. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    :bananadance::rofl:

10. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    off topic: Thanks!

on topic: i dont know too much about performance

11. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    It kind of makes sense, I just never heard of it. The SC will already be leaning the fuel/air ratios. If you add the CAI you just opened it up to breathe more and now are forcing more air into the mixture thus getting even more lean. Im thinkin.

12. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    gpspowell

gpspowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TDR CAI, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Old Man Emu 2 1/2" lift kit (886s & Dakars), Full All Pro armor inc. locker guard, Custom fuel tank armor, All Pro Rock Sliders, ARB front bumper, IPF 800XS Driving Lights, Ramsey REP 8000 winch, Centerline wheels, 285X75X16 Michelin LT AT2s, Snug Top shell, SoundLinQ audio interface for my iPod.
    I have an '08 with TRD SC, CAI & no overheating problems . Both installed by the dealer without comment or caveat. I believe the combination is illegal in Calif. but that's a long way from Fla.

13. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO

hey thanks for that input. I am not sure why my dealer is spewing this info. Maybe he just got some bad input from someone at TRD. Im not suprised if that happened.

I had a similiar issue with my lift I ordered. I emailed ProComp and they replied specifying a specific kit number for my truck. I go to my local install shop for them to order it. They call Pro Comp with the part number and they tell him on the phone that they dont sell a 6" lift for my truck. Bad Case of the left hand dont know what the right is doing sometimes.

14. Mar 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM
    pumo420

pumo420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Sr5 Debadged
    silver star headlights, optima yellow top battery, 2X10 mtx thunder 4500 speakers, kicker kx 400 amp, pioneer headunit, injen air intake, flowmaster dual exhaust, doug thorley long tube headers. waiting to put on urd maf caliberater, urd o2 senser, urd supercharger and 7th injector setup.i Fell
    if you want to get the trd supercharger its best to keep your truck stock. but if you want to add aftermarket parts then you should look into getting a piggy back system. if you decide to get the ecu reflash from toyota its best to run it on all stock parts since that's what the program was designed to run on. if you want to run aftermark parts then you shoud look at these units there all from urd.

fuel control calibrater http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260198049

map ecu2
    http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260518555

or the apr x-1 unit
    http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260518754

you would have a better chance to have your truck running perfect with these units instead of having the reflash. the other factor is that once you get the ecu reflash you are stuck with it. so if you decide to sell the trd supercharger, your truck will be stuck with that program. the only way to get around that is to get awhole new ecu for your taco.

i hope this helps your question. i learned alil bit from researching online. i decided to the urd superchager so i wouldn't have to worry about that whole mess.

15. Mar 29, 2009 at 1:09 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Run the intake and exhaust. It will not harm the s/c at all in fact it will give you more hp. I had a AFR gauge hooked up on my truck at it was 11.5ish with s/c, intake, exhaust, and headers which is fine. Almost every truck with the s/c that I have seen all have the intake, and full exhaust setup.

Oh and some trucks run super rich in the 10's and some are perfectly fine, so no need to worry. Any add on will only help in the performance.

16. Mar 29, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    Not sure how many members have the s/c installed, but here's my truck.

I've had the s/c for almost a year and a half (installed myself), and absolutely love it! Haven't had a single problem. Truck makes 296hp and 303tq at the wheels. Truck has intake, headers, and exhaust.

P1010018_8aeb49dbfab5a10726842b04dec08651e83afa3f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  17. Mar 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    No it's true.
    The SC warranty paperwork says any CAI (even their own)or headers use voids the SC warranty.
    I don't know why but it's in print and I was told the same thing when I called TRD.Even the dealer who installed the SC wouldn't install it even if I still wanted the TRD CAI.
    Some here have one installed without any problems.
    I opted to stay with just the SC and TRD exhaust.The truck is quick enough.No need for me to take a chance for maybe another 10 or so HP.

My truck is at the dealer now with a SC problem of some sort.:(

18. Mar 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Thx for the input Joe. the saga continues. It makes no sense why TRD states it should not be done yet it is obvious that others have it working without any issues. If if does kill the warranty then I cannot justify adding the CAI at this time. Keep is updated on your truck. I may have a few questions for you as I progress towards this purchase.

19. Mar 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    TRD is protecting them selves. Lots of things can be used outside their intended purposes safely and without issues- but if damage might occur they just tell you not to do it and they are safe.

20. Mar 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ask away,if need be.
    You can always take the CAI off when going to the dealer,though.

Products Discussed in

To Top