1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering Issues - 2010 Tacoma TRD

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Firemanheff, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Firemanheff

Firemanheff [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    I have recently started to experience an issue with the power steering on my 2010 TRD 4x4 Off-Road. On my way home yesterday, going into a right hand turn on a highway offramp, the steering became very stiff and then back to normal. This has continued and at times is completely normal and other times it is very stiff at certain points in a turn. The fluid level is on the mark and does not appear to have any condensation or water in it. I also jacked the front end today, nothing looks obvious and with no weight on the front end, the steering is free and normal. Once back on the ground and weight on the front end, it does the same thing. Would this be the power steering pump or the rack and pinion? Or is there any way to tell before I start buying parts and replacing? There are 41,000 miles on my truck…

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks,

John

2. Mar 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    LowerBost

LowerBost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    Having the same problem....Stiff then not. I just had the tires aligned yesterday and still having a problem....

3. Mar 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Get some penetrating lubricant and spray the living shit out of the steering shaft u-joints down under the left front of the frame. [​IMG]

4. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^My money is on the lower intermediate shaft. Spaying it may loosen it up....for a while. And then it will come back. If the needles in the bearings of its u-joint are sufficiently rusted, it may just seize. Replacement is the only option IMHO.

5. Mar 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    LowerBost

LowerBost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    .....Sounds like a pain to replace huh?

6. Aug 31, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    Ottawa

Ottawa New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 , RAV4 2011
    I just returned from the dealership after telling them of the same stiff steering problem you had. I'm told it is the steering yoke which they will replace for me at $750.00 !

7. Aug 31, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    Taco'09

Member:
    How generous of them. Not. Last time I looked the OEM lower intermediate shaft was like $169 from a number of discounters. This is not an item you will find aftermarket. Also, the stiffness is coming from the ujoint in that lower shaft. Not the yoke. The yoke is the piece that couples the lower shaft and upper shafts together by two bolts. I look at it this way. If I can replace that shaft just about anyone can. I would also steer (ha, a pun!) you away from trying to lube it as there are a couple of reports around that this works short time and suddenly seizes. IMHO don't do patch work stuff on parts that are safety items, replace the shaft.

Oh, and if you replace it just make sure you clearly index all the parts so they will properly align and keep the steering wheel and front wheels straight, and also hold the steering wheel still so it does not want get out of hand and rotate as it will likely break the spiral cable.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. Aug 31, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    Ottawa

Ottawa New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 , RAV4 2011
    Thanks for the answer ! Any suggestions on a manual that will show the how to's ?

9. Aug 31, 2015 at 8:08 PM
    Taco'09

Member:
    Here ya go.
    - Try clicking here. If it won't load you may have to delete the underline and paste in your URL: http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/files/05FSM/repair.html

- Scroll roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the index to this major section titled: Power Steering. Then click on the sub-section titled Power Steering Link (For 4WD And Pre-runner): > Components. Scroll down to page PS-50 and note the illustration of the part. Toy calls it the STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT NO. 2

- Now back up and go to the next sub-section below titled Power Steering Link (For 4WD And Pre-runner): > Removal, Installation. Scroll down to page PS-54. The removal procedure is step 19. (a)-(h).

- For reassembly, back out and go to the next subsection below titled Power Steering Link (For 4WD And Pre-runner): > Inspection, Reassembly, Installation. Scroll down to page PS-69. The removal procedure is step 15. (a)-(f).

Holler if you have questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top