Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

anyone running a smaller pulley on a SC'd 1GR motor?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
anyone running a smaller pulley on a SC'd 1GR motor?

i havnt got the SC yet and i know that installing a smaller pulley will void my warranty on the SC. but i live at 6500 feet. im wondering how much additional boost i would get and what kind of HP gains i might expect.
also how hard is it to remove and reinstall the stock pulley so that if i need to take it in they won't void my warranty?
see by running the smaller pulley the truck will think its just running a little closer to sea level as far as power goes.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Removing the stock pulley isn't hard. You must use a pulley puller to get it off anyway. The URD pulley is a one time use only. If you try to take it off it will get damaged because its made of aluminum which is soft.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
Removing the stock pulley isn't hard. You must use a pulley puller to get it off anyway. The URD pulley is a one time use only. If you try to take it off it will get damaged because its made of aluminum which is soft.

will the stock one get dammaged if you remove it? how many pounds of boost did u get and what kind of additional hp did you get?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
will the stock one get dammaged if you remove it? how many pounds of boost did u get and what kind of additional hp did you get?
I didn't change my pulley. Stock one comes off with no damage, but people who have changed the pulley get about 2psi more which is roughly 30-40hp.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
When you are ready for a smaller supercharger pulley, we have you covered here.

http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPat...pcriqki3q5uik3

Gadget
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
When you are ready for a smaller supercharger pulley, we have you covered here.

http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPat...pcriqki3q5uik3

Gadget
sorry gadget, APR is comming out with some pulleys in a coluple weeks that arent made of aluminum and look like they are stock so i can keep my warranty or at least avoid questions about my warranty. their smaller pulleys even have the factory part number printed on them and say 3.0 so unless someone got out a micrometer and measured it they look just like a stock pulley. i think ill go that route.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sorry gadget, APR is comming out with some pulleys in a coluple weeks that arent made of aluminum and look like they are stock so i can keep my warranty or at least avoid questions about my warranty. their smaller pulleys even have the factory part number printed on them and say 3.0 so unless someone got out a micrometer and measured it they look just like a stock pulley. i think ill go that route.
Bass,let me know how you make out with the smaller pulley.
Yes,keeping warranty is important.My TRD SC was just replaced under warranty.Seems these units aren't bulletproof as some may think.
The truck is at the dealer now.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Bass,let me know how you make out with the smaller pulley.
Yes,keeping warranty is important.My TRD SC was just replaced under warranty.Seems these units aren't bulletproof as some may think.
The truck is at the dealer now.
also FYI i talked to allan personally and he said that he is good friends with the guy who owns magnison. i am told the guts of the 4.0L SC are the same as is used in the tundra SC. that this unit has held up to 21,000 rpm with no problems. in stock form the sc isnt even breaking a sweat, in fact he said running a 2.5" pulley and with the APR X1 raising the rev limit to 6200 RPM the SC would be turning 16,200 rpm, well within safety limits
he did say that if you go into this territory you definitly need fuel mods. he also said they have seen better than 450 hp with this setup.

i dont plan to go that nuts however i think either the 2.85 pulley ot 2.7 pulley will be fine for me, i need to talk to allan again and see if ill need fuel upgrades with that setup considering i live at 6500 feet ASL
Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
also FYI i talked to allan personally and he said that he is good friends with the guy who owns magnison. i am told the guts of the 4.0L SC are the same as is used in the tundra SC. that this unit has held up to 21,000 rpm with no problems. in stock form the sc isnt even breaking a sweat, in fact he said running a 2.5" pulley and with the APR X1 raising the rev limit to 6200 RPM the SC would be turning 16,200 rpm, well within safety limits
he did say that if you go into this territory you definitly need fuel mods. he also said they have seen better than 450 hp with this setup.

i dont plan to go that nuts however i think either the 2.85 pulley ot 2.7 pulley will be fine for me, i need to talk to allan again and see if ill need fuel upgrades with that setup considering i live at 6500 feet ASL
I'm not going to change the pulley but am interested on how your change will work.