Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Pros and cons about TRD supercharger

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
I can't speak from expierence, but the only con I can see is the extra stress you may be placing on the tranny?

Pros: quicker, bragging rights, sounds great
Very Tru.

Manuals spit clutches.....autos slip to death.....

Course it is variable and can depend on many factors such as prior driving/towing habits, neglect, etc.

Fwiw, I have a friend who's a toyota tech....

While he was speaking to their support gurus about my trans possibly slipping, the higher ups told him that while unrelated.......

The TUNDRAS with no more than a supercharger installed are expected to have slipping transmissions.

Kinda crappy imho for the Tundy crowd, but Thats what I was told.

Anyhow.... One must keep in mind that the toyota reflash for the Tacoma's can be hit/miss it SEEMS. Some run richer than others, and this MAY cause some to see more of a drop in mpg.

Why did mine stay the same if I drive normally?

I dont know.

I can destroy a tank in no time if pushed.... But, I'm over all the scrubbing off rubber from my fender liners, exhaust, bumper, and so on.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #22
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Very Tru.

Course it is variable and can depend on many factors such as prior driving/towing habits, neglect, etc.

While he was speaking to their support gurus about my trans possibly slipping, the higher ups told him that while unrelated.......

The TUNDRAS with no more than a supercharger installed are expected to have slipping transmissions.

Anyhow.... One must keep in mind that the toyota reflash for the Tacoma's can be hit/miss it SEEMS. Some run richer than others, and this MAY cause some to see more of a drop in mpg.

I dont know.

I can destroy a tank in no time if pushed.... But, I'm over all the scrubbing off rubber from my fender liners, exhaust, bumper, and so on.

Eh if you put a SC on a truck you should plan on some added protection...perhaps gears? sure, a Tundra can pull 40" tires no prob, but add a SC in the mix now it has to work even harder....

Would there be much benefit to SC a Taco on 35" tires? Prob not, right?

IMO I would only SC a modded rig if I had the additional funds to re-gear it and spare parts that may go out....stock Tundy or Taco? Sure, why not.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #23
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Valve body is next....
Its top of the list and should be done done this month
Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you will always lose a MPG's with a SC, however depending on how you drive, its not that big of a lose. Some ppl it might not even be noticeable.

If you have a lead foot, MPG's will suffer even more
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #25
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting...

This may be of help on he deciding factor, OP.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=320785
Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #26
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
Im sure ol' Justus here is speakin the truth. he knows his shite.

as for me and my experience with gas mileage.....

mines terrible.. well.. considering what it was prior to the Blower. lol

i was getting a consistent 350 miles to the tank on 91. with 285-70-17s.

now.. post blower.. im lucky if i see 250..

now.. this is definitely user related.. its been 4 months since install.. and i still drive it like it was day one.

Its gonna happen OP.. youll drop MPG.. but.. you can fix that if your real good with the skinny pedal.

Me.. I just dont have the will power to stay out of it its worth ir regardless. ive come to terms with my 70 dollars a week fuel ups. it may get better in time.. but who cares.. its too much fun!
Even with the restraint of a Saint I can't do it... I've been trying to stay off boost to see what kind of mileage I'm going to get at best. Not gna happen, its to damn fun/ addicting!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #27
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
I can't speak from expierence, but the only con I can see is the extra stress you may be placing on the tranny?

Pros: quicker, bragging rights, sounds great
wait for it....

Quote:
Very Tru.

I dont know.

Lol, I still havent cleaned mine off.

and yeah, the flashes definitely seem to be inconsistent, but, tend to be on the rich side. I know mine seems to be runnin pretty damn rich..

Quote:
Valve body is next....
.... This.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #29
2004Yotadtc is on a distinguished road

Name: JAIME
2004Yotadtc's Tacoma Gallery
I wanna do my 3.4 don't do much off road would I need to replace my tranny only has 80k
I have a pretty heavy foot also lol
Old 03-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #30
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004Yotadtc View Post
I wanna do my 3.4 don't do much off road would I need to replace my tranny only has 80k
I have a pretty heavy foot also lol
With a trans service you should be fine, the main thing is doing the maintenance on the trans to keep the oil from breaking down and not lubricating everything properly.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #31
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Who cares what the pros and con's are!!! Just bolt that puppy on get her flashed and then enjoy it.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #32
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future

Name: Scott
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Valve body is next....
This may help a bit on the IPT valve job

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...installed.html

After driving it for about a month first gear engages very crisp.

You can avoid it by very lightly going into the throttle.

Still getting used to first gear engagement.

Other than first gear it's been great.

No lazy shifts during WOT. This will also help the longevity of the tranny.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #33
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Justus and Moose described both sides of the coin perfectly. Plenty of people with the s/c have made remarks here and there about having equatable gas mileage. Gadget, as well has gotten ~20+ MPG in his loaded 4Runner, with a twin screw s/c.

While I agree with the points you brought up, signalbobby, it can be true. Hard to believe? Possibly. Improbable? No.
I'm just having a hard time believing that statement on the Tacoma. Could it be an optimistic figure? Maybe. But being realistic for the majority of the owners that do make the jump, majority loses MPG/economy. For the sake of it, that should be an understanding while deciding to do that upgrade.

Driving characteristics and environment all play into factor. Here in AZ, i drive nothing but at 0 elevation, little to no humidity, ALL flat lands and on highway. Highway is all from 65-75mph. I find with the TRD S/C 1GR and the RPM range that the tacoma runs on 285/70/17's, it is in an inefficient band. I'm in a similar boat as Moose where I was at 330-350 miles to the tank on same tires, and now i barely make it to 280-300. Same driving behavior to and from work which is 99% of the mileage.

Whereas my TRD S/C 2UZ 4Runner on 285/70/17's at <65mph stock TRD flash, efficiency was terrible. I made a log sheet of 1 month of driving <65mph vs 1 month at 65-75mph at improved mileage. Point being that there is an efficiency range where 1 vehicle may get better mileage than another, which the Tacoma I find does not.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #34
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So ur calling me a liar.

I drive the truck like usual.... I dont hypermile and dont even know how to.

Tailwinds when heading to Fresno? Hell no, we had crosswinds that were blowing sand into the side of my truck like shrapnel.

Downhill?

Look for some geographical (Google maps I suppose) data on inclines from paso Robles to Fresno ca.

I have a shot of my GPS verified MPG.... I'm on my phone right now but I'll be sure to post it just for your viewing pleasure.

My speedometer is almost on par with my GPS, but I base ALL of my MPG data off of the mileage driven on my GPS and enter the gallons used into the garmin and it calculates for me.

I'm not calling anyone anything, just stating my opinions. To each his own. As I said in the post above, just having a hard time believing it. But this is the forum so if i offended you, i apologize.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #35
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhun2r View Post
This may help a bit on the IPT valve job

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...installed.html

After driving it for about a month first gear engages very crisp.

You can avoid it by very lightly going into the throttle.

Still getting used to first gear engagement.

Other than first gear it's been great.

No lazy shifts during WOT. This will also help the longevity of the tranny.

yup.. took me awhile to get used to it engaging that first gear.. and shifting into reverse. people still ask when they ride in my truck "woah.. your tranny supposed to be like that?" lol

I love it.. have had it for 2 or 3 months now.. and as you stated.. easy throttle into that first gear change it isnt so bad.. the rest are great.. pulls hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalbobby View Post
I'm just having a hard time believing that statement on the Tacoma. Could it be an optimistic figure? Maybe. But being realistic for the majority of the owners that do make the jump, majority loses MPG/economy. For the sake of it, that should be an understanding while deciding to do that upgrade.

Driving characteristics and environment all play into factor. Here in AZ, i drive nothing but at 0 elevation, little to no humidity, ALL flat lands and on highway. Highway is all from 65-75mph. I find with the TRD S/C 1GR and the RPM range that the tacoma runs on 285/70/17's, it is in an inefficient band. I'm in a similar boat as Moose where I was at 330-350 miles to the tank on same tires, and now i barely make it to 280-300. Same driving behavior to and from work which is 99% of the mileage.

Whereas my TRD S/C 2UZ 4Runner on 285/70/17's at <65mph stock TRD flash, efficiency was terrible. I made a log sheet of 1 month of driving <65mph vs 1 month at 65-75mph at improved mileage. Point being that there is an efficiency range where 1 vehicle may get better mileage than another, which the Tacoma I find does not.
I hear ya man.. im jealous of your 280-300 miles on a tank tho.. im trying to take it easy this tank.. aired up the tires to around 40psi.. easy slow take offs, etc. we will see.

regardless.. still so worth it
Old 03-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #36
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Con = expensive
Pro = you will go faster
Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #37
TRDSilverBullet will become famous soon enoughTRDSilverBullet will become famous soon enough
Name: Chase
TRDSilverBullet's Tacoma Gallery
And if I'm getting a supercharger do I need a one piece drive shaft ?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Not at all. A fuel pump upgrade from www.Dezod.com or www.urdusa.com is a must though.
This

being able to easily swap the filter is worth it on its own.

also.. to add to the pros.. wheeling!

it was so nice this past weekend on our 35+ mile trail run with the extra torque. easily climbing hills, not constantly trying to pick a gear, etc. made me fall in love with the truck all over again.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #40

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
Con = expensive
Pro = you will go quicker
Fixed it for ya

Products Discussed in this Thread