1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pros and cons about TRD supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TRDSilverBullet, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mar 16, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    TRDSilverBullet

TRDSilverBullet [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2007 toyota tacoma "silver bullet"
    Leveling kit, xd series monsters, magnaflow exhaust, aem cold air intake, jet chip and jdm chip
    I'm getting a TRD supercharger installed on my truck before long and I want to know More about it. Just like how much power will I have and gas mileage, and about the unichip you can get programmed for the supercharger

2. Mar 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM
    2wheelnut

2wheelnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vallejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 S/C K.I.S.S. "Factory Enhanced" DC TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger, TRD First Gen CAI, TRD FJ Alloy, Toyo OC A/T II 265/75/16, 5100's Front and Rear, OME 885x with 1/4 taco lean spacer, Toytec AAL 1.5" non TSB. TSB not done. WheatherTech Side Window Deflector, Satoshi Grill, T Rex Eyelids, Matt123 Skid Black stamped, Modded Maglite with Maglite mod for driver seat, Bed extender. Full debadging
    Just put mine in last week, so far it's great! First full tank sucked but that was always, and I mean always on boost. Still not bad at 15 mpg. now I'm deliberately staying out of boost and so far it looks to be good.

On cruise control on the freeway there was a couple of places the Taco would kick down two gears, one spot kicked down one gear. Now with the S/C instead of kicking down twice only once, and doesn't kick down when it used too one gear. Should have thrown this in a long time ago. Scratch that, it should've came from the factory this way.

Cons, it's noisy and makes you want to boost all the time. My truck is otherwise all stock and it sounds like a dying cat at around 2200 rpm. The electric pump is also loud when turning the engine off. More maintenance, more sh!t to worry about when wheeling that might go wrong. Another con is wanting more out of it! (i.e. pulley, fuel pump etc. )

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. Mar 17, 2014 at 12:26 AM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail

You still babying it?? Not sure how long the break in period is but its supposed to be a little while. The noise alone is so addicting. Definitely more shit to worry about. Definitely more bad ass though.

Ejohnston likes this.
  4. Mar 17, 2014 at 2:22 AM
    2wheelnut

2wheelnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vallejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 S/C K.I.S.S. "Factory Enhanced" DC TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger, TRD First Gen CAI, TRD FJ Alloy, Toyo OC A/T II 265/75/16, 5100's Front and Rear, OME 885x with 1/4 taco lean spacer, Toytec AAL 1.5" non TSB. TSB not done. WheatherTech Side Window Deflector, Satoshi Grill, T Rex Eyelids, Matt123 Skid Black stamped, Modded Maglite with Maglite mod for driver seat, Bed extender. Full debadging
    Not that much as far as babying it, but a taking it easy this tank around. I read in xru that those guys romp on it pretty much as soon as they leave the dealer and no problems so far.

5. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Had a nice long reply.... Hit wrong button...... Bob, when we getting the auto save feature? :(

Blower con's........ Must run premium, sound is addicting, gas pedal modulation may need to be fine tuned in the rain.

Pros......

Gas mileage will STAY THE SAME.... I've had safely 900 extra lbs in my truck with passenger's, luggage, tools/box, armor, etc.....LT 265/75/16 authorities, 2"lift, high winds, steep long grades and lots of passing while driving to Fresno from paso Robles ca..... Did a round trip and got 21mpg.

The reason the gas mileage may go down is due to the driver.

I suggest looking for a fuel pump kit from dezod or urd.

U can also get many bolt on goodies from urdusa.com

Gotta go..... Need to drop off the dog to get his junk snipped.

6. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    I love my super charger, the truck is very fun to drive. Took my brother and I 8 hours to install but was a fun project. Look in to adding an oil catch can.

I run it with the TRD CAI and the only time I through engine codes is doing doughnuts in the dirt, do to the fuel pump not being able to keep up.

7. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Did you already purchace it?

8. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    TRDSilverBullet

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Leveling kit, xd series monsters, magnaflow exhaust, aem cold air intake, jet chip and jdm chip
  9. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Haha ok I was about to say you should have done this before the purchase.

10. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    TRDSilverBullet

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    how much more power does it give the truck and is it worth it

11. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish

Dezod or urd my brother......

As for donuts I'd be worried about the oil pickup honestly.

And dont turn all the way to lock..... Iirc the ps line can be under a lot of pressure.... I could be mistaken on that.

But I'd def be worked bout the oil.

As for any break in period on the blower........

As soon as I got the call to pic up my truck from the dealership, I got the parts guy (good friend) to go with me around the corner....
    A cloud of smoke and 2 black lines about 100ft long were left in front of the ford dealership :)

So far no issues with the blower...... Pic is in my build for proof

TRD7408 and Sir4taye like this.
  12. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    TRDSilverBullet

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    nice have you heard of a chip called unichip thats programed to push the supercharger more

13. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    trdtoy

trdtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 4x4 auto v6 turbo (sold)
    Turbo with supporting mods and tranny to hold power.
    Yes and stay away from it...

Urdusa for tuning needs...

Where are you in nc?

14. Mar 18, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    TRDSilverBullet

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
  15. Mar 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    signalbobby

signalbobby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    18 Rapturd
    Im having a hard time with these statements that I believe is mis-information. To state that the gas mileage will remain the same, what is the percentage of users with the install could be conscious enough to report their findings to mimic your statement?

Having had 2 s/c'd Tacomas (11-14), 04 4Runner (TRD Eaton), 06 M3 (Rotrex Centri), 04/03/02 IS300(Rotrex Centri and Vortec Centr), the mileage all suffered. Without modifying the fuel tables, the factory trd flash will decrease the mileage as it feeds longer duty overall the entire map. I.e. the same amount of fuel on stock injectors and no positive pressure at 25% throttle position, you would have to feather the throttle lightly at 15% or so. For 90% of driving conditions mileage will suffer.

To haul additional weight, lifted with more drag, larger tires that have deviated your speedo, passing etc etc, you are telling folks you are averaging better than stock? If so you are hypermiling tailwinding downhill like hybrid owners.

While I agree 100% mileage varies with driver, adding unsprung rolling mass, drag, larger injectors all affect mileage.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Sir4taye likes this.
  16. Mar 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    My gas millage stayed about the same or dropped a little depending on heavy foot.

17. Mar 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish

So ur calling me a liar.

I drive the truck like usual.... I dont hypermile and dont even know how to.

Tailwinds when heading to Fresno? Hell no, we had crosswinds that were blowing sand into the side of my truck like shrapnel.

Downhill?

Look for some geographical (Google maps I suppose) data on inclines from paso Robles to Fresno ca.

I have a shot of my GPS verified MPG.... I'm on my phone right now but I'll be sure to post it just for your viewing pleasure.

My speedometer is almost on par with my GPS, but I base ALL of my MPG data off of the mileage driven on my GPS and enter the gallons used into the garmin and it calculates for me.

18. Mar 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [09 Boosted 4x4 Adventure House] & [86 22r Minitruck]
    CHECK BUILDS
    Im sure ol' Justus here is speakin the truth. he knows his shite.

as for me and my experience with gas mileage.....

mines terrible.. well.. considering what it was prior to the Blower. lol

i was getting a consistent 350 miles to the tank on 91. with 285-70-17s.

now.. post blower.. im lucky if i see 250..

now.. this is definitely user related.. its been 4 months since install.. and i still drive it like it was day one.

Its gonna happen OP.. youll drop MPG.. but.. you can fix that if your real good with the skinny pedal.

Me.. I just dont have the will power to stay out of it ;) its worth ir regardless. ive come to terms with my 70 dollars a week fuel ups. it may get better in time.. but who cares.. its too much fun!

19. Mar 18, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Justus and Moose described both sides of the coin perfectly. Plenty of people with the s/c have made remarks here and there about having equatable gas mileage. Gadget, as well has gotten ~20+ MPG in his loaded 4Runner, with a twin screw s/c.

While I agree with the points you brought up, signalbobby, it can be true. Hard to believe? Possibly. Improbable? No.

Sparhawke likes this.
  20. Mar 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    I can't speak from expierence, but the only con I can see is the extra stress you may be placing on the tranny?

Pros: quicker, bragging rights, sounds great

Products Discussed in

To Top