LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What can I do??

Old 03-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
AllenHoltby is on a distinguished road

AllenHoltby's Tacoma Gallery
What can I do??

I'm wanting to make my truck louder without buying a brand new exhaust system. I don't know what I can do or buy to do this. Help?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Mully is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Mully's Tacoma Gallery
Just cut the muffler off with a hack saw.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

And make it sound nice?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
You can cut the muffler off and put a flomwaster 40 on it, that's what I have on my 96 2.7, and it sound very good to me.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #6

What are any other good options for a muffler.?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
GotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
GotExhaust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenHoltby View Post
What are any other good options for a muffler.?
Magnaflow has a number of options for mufflers. Depending on the sound you're looking for, it's likely that you will find something you like.

The Flowmasters sound good on V6s and V8s, but tend to introduce a lot of drone in their 50 series and below. Flowmaster is a chambered muffler, which will create more of a throaty, booming sound. The Magnaflow Universals are straight-through mufflers with perforated cores which will typically produce a smoother, deep exhaust note. Sizing is very important with Magnaflow, but they have anything from their 4" round (Magnapack) mufflers, up to truck and SUV mufflers that are the size of small trash cans!

Shoot us a PM if you'd like to go over your options or feel free to call me. We will beat any legitimate price on Magnaflow for TacomaWorld members.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Buy my URD y-pipe...that'll do it.
He's got a 1st gen.

Odds are it will prolly just be raspy with 2 less cats right?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotExhaust View Post
Magnaflow has a number of options for mufflers. Depending on the sound you're looking for, it's likely that you will find something you like.

The Flowmasters sound good on V6s and V8s, but tend to introduce a lot of drone in their 50 series and below. Flowmaster is a chambered muffler, which will create more of a throaty, booming sound. The Magnaflow Universals are straight-through mufflers with perforated cores which will typically produce a smoother, deep exhaust note. Sizing is very important with Magnaflow, but they have anything from their 4" round (Magnapack) mufflers, up to truck and SUV mufflers that are the size of small trash cans!

Shoot us a PM if you'd like to go over your options or feel free to call me. We will beat any legitimate price on Magnaflow for TacomaWorld members.

I highly recommend the huge 22 inch long MagnaFlow "trashcan" muffler #12586.

It has a nice mellow sound and no cab drone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvIBURPwtXw
Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
GotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I highly recommend the huge 22 inch long MagnaFlow "trashcan" muffler #12586.

It has a nice mellow sound and no cab drone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvIBURPwtXw
Yeah nice buddy . Although the 36" monsters are what I call the trash cans, that would be too big for a taco. Sounds good.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah nice buddy . Although the 36" monsters are what I call the trash cans, that would be too big for a taco. Sounds good.
36" !?!?!?!?

What model number is that?

I'm running a 22" x 5" x 11" and it can't muffle the rasp.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yikes! Even the 22 barely fit!

A friend of mine installed the MagnaFlow, and also mandrel bent the exhaust...

...to exit a hole I punched in the rear bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X9wPQE2Zw

Greg
Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
36" !?!?!?!?

What model number is that?

I'm running a 22" x 5" x 11" and it can't muffle the rasp.
There's a couple round Maggys 36" tip to tip. Here's one.

http://www.gotexhaust.com/i-14137393...l-muffler.html

And here's the 12586 22" muffler (actually 28" tip to tip): http://www.gotexhaust.com/i-14136216...l-muffler.html
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Did he just call it a Maggie lol
I get the feeling I'm missing something ...
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #18
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I like the AT 2525xl. Haven't hear them on stock exhaust manifolds, but with my DTLTs, they sound good. Nice and deep at low rpms, not too bad mid range, pissed off weed eater at wot. Though it is on my 2nd gen V6.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #19
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Way too many options!

Magnaflow
Flowmaster
Borla
Aeroturbine

All have their own sound. Sound is very subjective and you need to listen to a few to get some idea. Also make sure you listen to the right engine, 4 or 6 cyl, gen 1 or gen 2 as they each have their own sound when "muffled".

BTW, best cost/benefit, assuming sound is your goal, is just weld a new muffler in, much cheaper than a catback.

BTW2, I have tried a TRD catback, a Magnaflow dropin and a Borla dropin. I am sticking with the Borla drop-in, as both the TRD and the Magnaflow both had a level of drone around 2k that I didn't want to live with (low drone tolerance...), and the Borla had very little drone.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #20
CorpsmanUp is on a distinguished road

Navy: USN Corpsman(DOC)
Name: Gibby
CorpsmanUp's Tacoma Gallery
take off the cats(if you don't have stupid emissions testing crap) 2 1/4 or 3 inch pipe all the way or if you want you could put a flowmaster 40 series under it. My 99 i have completely straight piped sounded great and my 13 now has a 40 series flowmaster and i'm picky about sound and i know a decent sound i've got a 450+ HP 95 Z28 camaro long tube headers x pipe with cigar boxes true duels.

Products Discussed in this Thread