1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Performance chip for 2nd gen Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by johnsonloren59, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mar 29, 2014 at 12:52 AM
    johnsonloren59

johnsonloren59 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 2012 2.7 access cab 5 speed. I just put a 3 inch lift on it with 285's. I'm looking for just a little bit more power and maybe an increase in mpg's. Has anyone installed a chip that has actually worked well and also any advice on intake and exhaust systems would be helpful. I'm not looking to spend over 1k. Pics of my truck coming soon, looks filthy. Any help works, thanks.

2. Mar 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    No chips

Check out t the maf calibrator at urdusa.com

They also have intakes, exhaust, and other goodies.

3. Apr 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    crusader1

crusader1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    SC Upstate
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD#1/'73 Datsun 240Z Orig. Ownr
    None yet...just warmin' up
    I have had the GF chip (GFChips.com) #112072 installed for a few weeks on my '06 PreRunner 4.0L Auto. I am most pleased with the increased mileage (about 2-mpg) in limited checks, and snappy throttle response. It is definitely worth the $69. Very simple to install under the hinged engine cover, totally out of sight.

Today, I just installed and test drove the AERO 2525 CatBack system...I LOVE it! The look of that SS system caused me to spend some weeks cleaning/painting the entire underside of my truck first. I expect some performance increase, but the sound alone is worth it. Will know more in the coming weeks. This system cost me $350, and shipped free. The owner, Jordan, is a Winner in my book :)

IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg

4. Apr 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Where'd youget yours? from aeroexhaust.com?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  5. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Another resistor in a box right?

Ties into intake air temp sensor so they say...... Reads cold, dumps more fuel into an already pig rich tacoma system.

Save the money and get the urd maf calibrator that u can actually tune and it actually makes power by letting u LEAN the already rich Afr.

These trucks don't need another resistor mod in a pretty package richening up the mixture based on what? Some 1 size fits all story?

Not all trucks are created equal..... That's why the maf cal is end user tunable.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  6. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Sorry, meant where he got his cat back for $350, I am not buying a "chip"

7. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Smart man.....

Andy at got exhaust does have some killer deals

8. Apr 3, 2014 at 4:59 AM
    crusader1

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    SC Upstate
    Vehicle:
    Justis,

The GF chip works great for me...had it explained by an ace Toyota mechanic, so I know what it does. Don't care for any fancy "tuner'' boxes, as this is my everyday driver. I spent the big bucks over 40 years on my original Datsun 240Z, $100K.
    If I want to pull 4Gs and go 175, I suit up for it...for just normal day-to-day living, I choose the awesome '06 Tacoma with AERO exhaust and GF chip...it works and stays within my retirement budget (30-yr airline pilot)

9. Apr 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    Ryan Tucker

Ryan Tucker Do it Dont talk about it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top

I'm in the same boat, I have a race car when I feel the need. But millage and a bit of power is always nice on our daily driver. If it just richens the mixture Id think youd not see a gain with either millage or power. How long have you had it and would you say with no dought that you see a millage improvement? Id bite at 69 bucks in a heart beat if I knew it would. The track is the 100% way to know if it adds a single hp, I made 12-15 passes last night just for the hell of it and its dead consistant 10.03 to 10.09. Their would be no better test than install the damn thing at the track and made several passes afterwards. That would rule out 100% rather it makes power or not. I only need enough power for .04-5 to make me happy, lol. Id like to see a 9.99. But the millage is even more important

Tell me more about it and how it was to hook up, and is it hide under the hood? How easy to remove

10. Apr 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    These trucks run pig rich..... The way the maf calibrator makes dyno proven HP is by leaning the fuel. That's why I don't see how these resistor mods work..... The maf calibrator def can wake the truck up, for autos it also improves the pickup when the transmission kicks down. The slightly leaner mix keeps the truck from stumbling (its happend before many times while increasing throttle input at speed... Sometimes the truck would stumble instead of GTFO OF THE WAY).
    Then again, I'd only run the maf cal if I could hook up a kill switch.

Its not hard to get an extra 100hp out of these trucks..... Ya can't tell me that doesn't make passing and merging on a daily basis safer in general.
    Can also be done with ZERO mpg change unless the driver is 100% at fault with the skinny pedal..... And ya still have a dependable daily driver/utility vehicle with a decent power to weight ratio considering its a truck.

TRDMopar likes this.
  11. Apr 5, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    Ryan Tucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top

Interesting, thanks for the post and info. I think I will study on it some more.

Tucker

12. Apr 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    crusader1

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    SC Upstate
    Vehicle:
    Ryan,

I've had it long enough to check several in-town tanks, and it's consistent at 18.5mpg, up from 17mpg before GF chip. The highway check on a 200-mile roundtrip was 21.5mpg with GF...tailgate up, no load in bed. That's good enough for me...the old '99 3.4L V6 was never that good.

Couldn't be simpler to hook up, although I took the time to visit my ace Toyota mech at the dealer. Printed out a copy of the wiring diagram for the flow sensor (5-wire) under the plastic engine cover. I followed GF directions to pick the two wires for attaching the inline connectors...detachable-type. As I recall, I verified them with my VOM measuring Resistance...couldn't get a good read on Voltage. Just checking, I hooked to the TWO LEFT WIRES on the factory connector, the Brown (GND) and Blue/Red (Sensor). GF says the wires on their lead are interchangeable...just hook 'em up.

Looking at the mounting possibilities, I chose the top of the manifold (didn't seem like too hot an area), and carefully trimmed the foam layer attached to the bottom side of the hinged cover to fit the small GF box exactly. Lowering the cover, the GF is concealed and the proper distance from the connections.

I'll go take a picture now, and attach it...should have done that before. There's also no doubt in my mind it increases power and throttle response...my foot can sense it. Like you say, what's at stake here...$69? Big deal!

IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg

13. Apr 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    Ryan Tucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top
    Thanks for the response back and the pictures. What year is yours and the part number? I think I will try one and report back as well, did you find yours on ebay. I will look here in a bit for it, or send a link if you have one.

It would be sweet if you could run yours at a local 1/8 mile track to compare e.t. and mph. I will re run mine after getting on to see. Mine is dead stuck at a 10.03 at 68.5 mph dead stock with all weight removed besides my camper top.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Apr 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    What do you mean pig rich?

Explain to my why you think tacomas run rich. And when

15. Apr 6, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I'll rain on this parade, here is a thread from another forum where someone opened up the G Force chip and found a bogus board with a chip that isn't even a continuous circuit.

Total BS, don't waste your money.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/658248-cl-mythbusters-gforce-performance-chip.html

The chip in the middle is completely bypassed and is only there for show. There are resistors but it was an open circuit.

Now how are you guys getting mpg gains?

Liftbear likes this.
  16. Apr 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    They're a waste of money. I've even heard of them doing damage to peoples electrical systems. Don't buy one.

17. Apr 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Other chips might, but my link shows the G Force chip can't since it is an open circuit. :rofl:

18. Apr 7, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    They run pig rich, unless you add in some for of aftermarket EMS to tune the AFR. Mine runs in the low 10's AFR when under certain loads and Open loop. That is too rich, and wastes fuel. 12.5:1 AFR is perfect for N/A. Saves fuel too because it isn't running as rich.

19. Apr 7, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    crusader1

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    SC Upstate
    Vehicle:
    Ryan,

I bought my #112072 GF directly from their website (GFchips.com) for my 2006 PreRunner Extended Cab V6. I bought it in Feb and installed last month, so no long-term data exists yet. Gas mileage has improved, as I check each fill-up, and throttle response has also.

I won't be doing any strip runs, but would like to hear your results.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Apr 7, 2014 at 6:31 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Absolutely correct! In all my years of tuning I have never seen a fatter fuel trim on a stock/Factory Vehicle then on the Tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top