Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Super Charger Questions/Answers Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Super Charger Questions/Answers Thread

I recently had a SC and TRD exhaust on my 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD V6 Long Bed LTD. I have been posting comments and questions in some other threads, but felt like I was too often getting off-topic and "thread-jacking". Anyway, I wanted to start this thread so that people that have SCs or have questions about them can ask them here and hopefully with all of the knowledgeable guys on this forum, we can get some good tips and advice.
My first question is this: I want to put a boost gauge in and already have an Insight CTS and the pressure adapter kit to add to it. I was wondering where do most people tap in to install the boost sensor? Someone mentioned that they had installed an inline "T", but what hose to you attach to? Pardon my ignorance, and MUCH thanks for any advice.
Ken
Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
BLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Keith
BLOODYMARY's Tacoma Gallery
There's a boost port on the back of the supercharger that has a rubber vacuum cap on it. Remove cap, connect boost hose to it an your gauge.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Anyone watching the NBA playoffs?
That's about right for this thread.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Bloody Mary, much appreciated!

Sorry if I offended you guys with my thread.
Ken
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
So, I have heard a few different versions of how the Tacoma reacts with the S/C.

On one hand I have heard that if you keep the RPMs below 2500 the S/C has almost no effect on how the truck drives and that you don't really know it's there.

On the other hand many have said that there is noticeable power increases, or at least a somewhat noticeable difference regardless of RPM.

Which is true?

almost all of my driving is below 2500 PRM unless I am really working it hard on an on-ramp. Even when I tow my 18' Toy Hauler it stays under 2500 rpm most of the time.

My question relates to if I will see minimal benefit with the S/C and my driving habits?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
"Senior", Senior Member

keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
I JUST got the truck back on Thursday and have only driven it two or three times since I got it back. The first time I didn't think I noticed it that much and the mechanic said it might take a little while for the ECU to relearn some things (the ECU had to be re-flashed). The next time I drove it I got it up to about 20mph driving slowly and then stood on it and it was up to 70 in NO time. Since then I can notice an overall improvement in power most of the time, and can REALLY notice it when you stomp on it. Does that make any sense?
Ken
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODYMARY View Post
There's a boost port on the back of the supercharger that has a rubber vacuum cap on it. Remove cap, connect boost hose to it an your gauge.

Here's a picture of it. It keeps a 1:1 ratio for fuel to S/C BTW that's the FPR Mod
Attached Thumbnails
Super Charger Questions/Answers Thread-fpr-mod.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: ParaRescue-SpecOPs
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODYMARY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
Here's a picture of it. It keeps a 1:1 ratio for fuel to S/C BTW that's the FPR Mod
As Helmut, and Bloody said^^^

And when you install your boost gauge you will "T" off of the line Lord has run off his FPR to boost port for optimal fuel pressure..!!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Just remember. The FPR mod is not necessary unless you're running around 8-9 psi, and don't have an aftermarket ECU to tune with, so you need your AFR's to stay in the safe zone of the 11's. It simply increases fuel pressure with boost pressure so that your injectors flow more fuel than they can at 43.5 psi.

Here is a thread about it. http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=50532

I knew you would straighten out the facts in this thread as usual
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
So, I have heard a few different versions of how the Tacoma reacts with the S/C.

On one hand I have heard that if you keep the RPMs below 2500 the S/C has almost no effect on how the truck drives and that you don't really know it's there.

On the other hand many have said that there is noticeable power increases, or at least a somewhat noticeable difference regardless of RPM.

Which is true?

almost all of my driving is below 2500 PRM unless I am really working it hard on an on-ramp. Even when I tow my 18' Toy Hauler it stays under 2500 rpm most of the time.

My question relates to if I will see minimal benefit with the S/C and my driving habits?
From my experience in the last week of driving with my supercharger. There is noticeable benefits even below 2500 rpm it's just harder to hear it or tell it's there. Truck really seems to accelerate even more effortlessly than before even while keeping your foot out of it.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
In I'll give info if others don't beat me to it. I am happy that there are a handful of us active members who are boosted now.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Hey mate, I am thrilled that so many more people are aware and knowledgeable of the subject.

I know TW isn't performance oriented compared to XRU but I enjoy helping people out with their trucks when I can
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #19
"Senior", Senior Member

keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Oh man, thanks guys, much, MUCH appreciated! Lord Helmet thanks so much for the info on where to "T" into the line for the boost gauge and thanks for the heads up on the FPR (fuel pressure regulator?) mod and the links.
I did get some pictures of my truck and where the boost line cover is and also found an electrical connector that I found near the tubing plug for boost and have not idea what it is for and if it is supposed to be plugged in or not.

Pic of the plug cover:

Another pic of plug over tube connector:

Yet one more pic of the plug cover:

And here is the pic of the mystery connector not plugged into anything:

Sorry for my ignorance, stupid questions and please let me know when (not if) I ask a dumb question.
Thanks again to everyone who is so eager to help, I REALLY do appreciate it!!!!
Ken
Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Shit I can't remember off the top of my head what it was originally connected to, but it doesn't go anywhere. Tape it up and hide it away.

Products Discussed in this Thread