Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust, headers, and CAI

Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
tbkfan is on a distinguished road
tbkfan's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust, headers, and CAI

I'm looking to boost the performance of my 2012 TRD DC. I have been talking to a local performance tuning shop and they want to sell me the following:

1. Gibson exhaust
2. JBA headers
3. Air Raid CAI
4. Air Raid throttle body spacer
5. Bully Dog computer system

I know for sure that I am out on the JBA headers. There is definitely enough negative said about those on these and other forums. Sounds like Doug Thorley is the way to go there. Few questions about headers... Will they make the truck quite a bit louder? Inside the cab? Cruising speed? Or is it just when you really step on it?

For the exhaust, I'm leaving towards getting the dealer to install TRD setup since the price is the same and from what I'm reading it's a toss up between it and the Gibson. Is there a dual exhaust option out there that would give me even better performance? I'm in Canada where I don't have to pass regular emissions tests by the way...

For CAI, I am definitely among the skeptics. I only consider it because they're telling me it is a key component of their 5 step system for getting the maximum performance. I'd rather not have to fuss with cleaning and oiling a filter, but if it is going to make the rest of the system work as designed I would go with it.

Throttle body spacers, I know nothing about.

And I think that the Bully Dog computer is a no-brainer. Am I wrong?

Last question: can anyone recommend a shop in Calgary that can be trusted to this kind of work?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
1. Any catback will do. Just whether or not you like the way it sounds.
2. URD Long Tubes & Y pipe.(it will make your truck alot louder may have to also install a vibrant resonator as well to cut down on the rasp) OR if u have to do emission checks then you could do JBA shorties.
3. Stock air box is a cold air intake but if you want to change the underhood appearance then I'd go with a AFE Stage 2.
4. Throttle body spacer is junk DO NOT BUY THIS.
5. The bully dog programmer has NOT be confirmed it gives any real performance. I'd shy away from it until we get some hard facts about whether it works or not.

In the grand scheme of things if you want more performance out of your truck your going to have to go forced induction. These mods I listed will get you small gains but like I said if you want more than a 15-20hp bump then your gonna have to pony up some bucks for a little boost.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Aztecs is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aerospace Propulsion
Name: Jose
Aztecs's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Volant CAI with the under the hood ram air scoop, get rid of that charcoal filter. For the Headers, do you want More Torque Gain or HP gain. Long Tubes for your get up and go gain or go with short tubes for better HP and maybe better MPG at Highway speeds. All depends on your driving style, but deffinitely go with Doug Thorley. I also have a 2012 and JBA doesn't advertise headers for our year truck since the header design is different on 2012's and newer. I had to call Doug Thorley main office in California to get the Part number for the 2012 Headers since it doesn't pop up on their website. Personaly I would skip the throttle boby spacer. I don't believe they work on a fuel injected engine unless someone can prove it to me with a Dyno test. For the exhaust, I would just get the TRD exhaust unless you want to go custom. For the computer, I would say NAH! I would rather spend my money on the supercharger.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Any shop that is recommending 4 & 5 as a part of a "performance" upgrade would make me go somewhere else. Neither of those has shown any gains on an NA 4.0, and if they are recommending them, they are after your $$$ more then perf.

If you want to stay NA, try:

- a URD or AFE CAI
- URD MAF Cali
- headers (LT or ST, depending on whether you want to optimize high-end HP or low-mid TQ, respectively)
- URD Y-pipe
- 3" catback (if you want to optimize high-end HP) or just a drop in muffler and resonator as needed
Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
shr133 is on a distinguished road
Army: 31C, 95B.
Name: Steve
shr133's Tacoma Gallery
1. Long tube headers seam the best.
2. CAI or better filter and intake mods, I think the factory intake is good.
3. Replace the muffler with stock exhaust or 2 1/2" cat back.
4. If you do a cat back you will loose bottom end HP so add the intake spacer to add low power back, the CAI, cat back and spacer all work together great...
5. A good Performance chip will help but I don't know if one is proven and you would need dyno tuning to maximizes the HP...
6. A good y pipe helps top end, not sure about low end power... No one has tested a full system that I have seen....
7. PVC delete, the pvc sucks oil into the intake and is bad for the engine, some guys run a catch can which makes no sense just delete it.
8. 170 thermostat, but may need a tuner to maximize.

After any mod reset the computer so it can learn the mods....
Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Any shop that is recommending 4 & 5 as a part of a "performance" upgrade would make me go somewhere else.
You nailed it.
Even the throttle body spacer alone would be a deal breaker for me.

Between long tube and short tube, I'd recommend going long as bottom end torque is way more useful on a truck than top end horsepower. The equal length URD long tubes are brilliant works of header design.

I'd like to get them and I don't even have a 4.0!

If you only do ONE mod... do headers. They are by far the best bang for your buck, because they improve the operating characteristics of your engine even if you don't change anything else.

Greg
Old 06-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shr133 View Post
1. Long tube headers seam the best.
2. CAI or better filter and intake mods, I think the factory intake is good.
3. Replace the muffler with stock exhaust or 2 1/2" cat back.
4. If you do a cat back you will loose bottom end HP so add the intake spacer to add low power back, the CAI, cat back and spacer all work together great...
5. A good Performance chip will help but I don't know if one is proven and you would need dyno tuning to maximizes the HP...
6. A good y pipe helps top end, not sure about low end power... No one has tested a full system that I have seen....
7. PVC delete, the pvc sucks oil into the intake and is bad for the engine, some guys run a catch can which makes no sense just delete it.
8. 170 thermostat, but may need a tuner to maximize.

After any mod reset the computer so it can learn the mods....

Lucario Runner and I did before and after dyno's with the URD Y-pipe. Being that his is an automatic, couldn't start below 3k RPMs. It did make a substantial increase on the graph. For the RPMs which were tested. Link with his dyno's is in my Sig.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
TRON is on a distinguished road

TRON's Tacoma Gallery
All trucks/cars are different for what performance mods work best... That so called performane shop needs to do there homework for 2nd generation tacomas... You will get way more power from an aftermarket y pipe vs a new muffler/catback exhaust... especially if you are 4X4... My SS JBA headers are great