Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2012+ CAI

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
firetaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Fighting 18
Name: Sean
firetaco18's Tacoma Gallery
2012+ CAI

So I recently found out information regarding cold air intakes not fitting in 2012+ models that fit in the 2005-2011. The air pump is in the way of putting in the filter box. This seemed apparent but I still figured that a TRD or Volant CAI would fit regardless.

I am interested in getting a CAI for the '13 but I don't want to relocate, trim, remove, or warranty-void any more than I have to. So is there an aftermarket CAI out there that fits in there and still has good reviews? (not some ebay turbocharged, mpg boosting crap).

I figure this is old news to some people but I hope putting this out there helps someone from buying the wrong CAI like I have almost done. I was a click away from dropping $$$ on a TRD CAI on CL.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
smaldo76 is on a distinguished road

Name: steve
smaldo76's Tacoma Gallery
Try AFE cold air intake with the dry filter, it works great for me.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: ParaRescue-SpecOPs
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetaco18 View Post
So I recently found out information regarding cold air intakes not fitting in 2012+ models that fit in the 2005-2011. The air pump is in the way of putting in the filter box. This seemed apparent but I still figured that a TRD or Volant CAI would fit regardless.

I am interested in getting a CAI for the '13 but I don't want to relocate, trim, remove, or warranty-void any more than I have to. So is there an aftermarket CAI out there that fits in there and still has good reviews? (not some ebay turbocharged, mpg boosting crap).

I figure this is old news to some people but I hope putting this out there helps someone from buying the wrong CAI like I have almost done. I was a click away from dropping $$$ on a TRD CAI on CL.
What a lot of guys are running...no major issues or CEL's with this CAI..Amazon best price @ $355.00. Comes with the smog relocate bracket...pretty much plug-n-play..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
I just bough that one straight from the factory. Several sellers would not sell to me because I live in communist CA and the AFE CAI is not CARB certified. I spoke with Vicky and Terry at AFE and they were awesome. They said that they sell to CA no problem and the AFE has submitted the application for CARB compliance, so they are waiting to get that from CA. When the system becomes CARB approved, they will send you a CARB sticker. Until then, I am just going to run it until I have to get the truck smogged, then swap it back to stock. AFE has AWESOME customer service.
Just my two cents.
Ken
Old 05-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit
TurdTaco13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
TurdTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF ROWD View Post
What a lot of guys are running...no major issues or CEL's with this CAI..Amazon best price @ $355.00. Comes with the smog relocate bracket...pretty much plug-n-play..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I actually just bought this from Amazon today for $317 shipped!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
CB3TACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
CB3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates on 05-11 fitting in a 12-14. there is a great priced one on craigslist now, but i dont want to buy something that wont fit!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
JTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
JTS2014TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3TACO View Post
Any updates on 05-11 fitting in a 12-14. there is a great priced one on craigslist now, but i dont want to buy something that wont fit!
It wont because of the smog bracket
Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #9

I just installed this thing on my truck today and was pretty appalled at the horrible instructions that skipped steps here and there, as well as the piss poor fit and finish of the kit.

I've used AFE intakes on 3 BMW's I've owned and they were all perfect, so I'm not sure why the Taco gets the shaft from them.

The nipple for the vacuum line didn't hardly want to screw in because the threads were a wreck, the foam that is supposed to seal the box up against the stock intake hole in the fender is a joke, holes didn't line up all over the place, etc., etc.

I'm really quite disappointed in AFE for churning this garbage out. Especially since I KNOW what they're capable of!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdTaco13 View Post
I just installed this thing on my truck today and was pretty appalled at the horrible instructions that skipped steps here and there, as well as the piss poor fit and finish of the kit.

I've used AFE intakes on 3 BMW's I've owned and they were all perfect, so I'm not sure why the Taco gets the shaft from them.

The nipple for the vacuum line didn't hardly want to screw in because the threads were a wreck, the foam that is supposed to seal the box up against the stock intake hole in the fender is a joke, holes didn't line up all over the place, etc., etc.

I'm really quite disappointed in AFE for churning this garbage out. Especially since I KNOW what they're capable of!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
My only complaint about the AFE and yes it is a BIG JOKE considering the gap is 1"-2"..... so pathetic IMO.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Did you use extra foam to seal up the filter box.....and what holes did you have problem with....
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #12
firetaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Fighting 18
Name: Sean
firetaco18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well with that review, you have saved me a few hundred dollars. Thank you. I actually like negative reviews so I don't buy more crap.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF ROWD View Post
Did you use extra foam to seal up the filter box.....and what holes did you have probe with....
No, my gaps aren't ANYWHERE near as big as the 1" to 2" Lord Helmet mentioned. I've got maybe 1/8" to 1/4" gap in a couple of spots. Not enough to feel that it's impacting performance in a negative manner, just enough to irk me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetaco18 View Post
Well with that review, you have saved me a few hundred dollars. Thank you. I actually like negative reviews so I don't buy more crap.
It's possible I got a lemon as far as the fit is concerned, as I've NEVER experienced this kind of thing from AFE. K&N, Airraid, yes, but not AFE.

If you're truly interested in it, I say pick one up, install it, and see how it goes. If it sucks, send it back. If it works, keep it.

It definitely sounds incredible and feels like the truck is a smidge peppier with it installed. YMMV though.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
No, my gaps aren't ANYWHERE near as big as the 1" to 2" Lord Helmet mentioned. I've got maybe 1/8" to 1/4" gap in a couple of spots. Not enough to feel that it's impacting performance in a negative manner, just enough to irk me.

It's possible I got a lemon as far as the fit is concerned, as I've NEVER experienced this kind of thing from AFE. K&N, Airraid, yes, but not AFE.

If you're truly interested in it, I say pick one up, install it, and see how it goes. If it sucks, send it back. If it works, keep it.

It definitely sounds incredible and feels like the truck is a smidge peppier with it installed. YMMV though.
Bolting mine on this weekend...letcha' kno....!!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
Im going urd on my 13'. I cant stand the way the smog pump is relocated on top of the air box. I feel like its the only option for a clean intake on the 12's & up
Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #16

Well I installed my aFe CAI today, all went well, except the brass nipple threads hard to get started, and tighten, and Rubber/Foam intake inlet doesn't even touch the fender towards the front...about 1/2 to 3/4" inch gap...doesn't seem to affect performance any(only been driving today tho)..actually feels like the Blower is a bit stronger...Probably will get some xtra foam to fill in gaps....pretty weak on aFe's part, they had to of known about this fitment issue with Newer Tacomas...oh..and dont even try to call any of the numbers in the directions for support, or even sales.."Mailbox is not set up...Good-Bye" is what I got.....Had to email them about my situation...no response yet.
Looks bad ass tho..

Products Discussed in this Thread