1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

suggestions for getting more hores power

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bellator, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Apr 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    bellator

bellator [OP] Member

Member:
    camp pendlton california
    Vehicle:
    07 toyota tacoma double cab trd sport
    33 inch tires 3 inch trail master suspension lift
    im getting a 6inch lift for my 07 trd sport and some bigger tires and new wheels as well and i dont want to lose any of my get up and go. suggestions on some upgrades to increase my horse power that wont break the bank?

2. Apr 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You gotta commit man...If you want to do all that stuff you are spending some serious coin. If you are going to spend the coin to lift it that big....you gotta spend the coin to power it up right.

Throw a supercharger on that beast...get the APR X-1...re-gear it. You might get back to the original feel.

3. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    bellator

bellator [OP] Member

Member:
    camp pendlton california
    Vehicle:
    super charger will definately run into alot of money. would it better to work on my exhaust and get an intake?

4. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You are going to get far more power from an SC...You might net a 5-8 hp gain from an intake/exhaust...Not enuf if you add a 6in lift and tires and still want the same performance.

5. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    bellator

bellator [OP] Member

Member:
    camp pendlton california
    Vehicle:
    gotcha

6. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    HP costs money. I usually see hp costing around $40-60/HP. With a supercharger, you cost per HP drops drastically, like into the $20/HP range.

So when it comes to the best bang for your buck. You can't go wrong.

7. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    tussery

tussery Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Magnaflow muffler, TRD CAI.
    The best money spent is a change to the proper gear ratio period. To make enough power to make up for what you lose in bigger tires is going to cost more than a gear change.

8. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Only one thing is going to give you real horse power, a super charger.
    Exhaust, CAI and the like, while lots cheaper will only offer moderate if any improvement. In your situation I wonder if changing out the ring and pinion might help. Somebody here will step up and offer you some help.

9. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Re gear it first. Then maybe a catback exhaust. If you combine a Catback and a CAI you'll lose some power off the bottom but gain on top- you drive in low RPM much more than top so keep that in mind. I miss my bottom end power after doing the CAI and Catback- with just the catback I didnt notice and loss, only gains. If real performance is what you want, then yes, the supercharger is the only way to go.

10. Apr 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    bellator

bellator [OP] Member

Member:
    camp pendlton california
    Vehicle:
    who makes a supercharger for a 07 tacoma?

11. Apr 7, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    trd and urd both make blowers for our trucks, urd just released their new blower which is showing some nice numbers

12. Apr 7, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    URD(underdog racing devolpment) and TRD have supercharger kits. The TRD is a bit cheaper I think, but URD can get an amazing amount of power out of these 4.0L- like 420+hp!
    [​IMG]

13. Apr 7, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    well, I think it reached 420 because of all of the supporting mods like the headers, apr x1 and the grillcraft grill for better air flow. Also I think it said for the run they used racing fuel but I may have misread that. But yeah blower for blower the urd will put out more power

14. Apr 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I am definitely considering getting rid of my TRD S/C and replacing with the new URD for more than one reason. I have been wondering if anyone has been bold enough to use these:http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/1grfe.html

15. Apr 10, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    I think the regearing option is something to consider but I also think that is tire size dependent. There are plenty of trucks on here running a 33" tire with a 6" lift and no regearing was necessary. Now you start pushing 35" tires with the 6" lift and I would say that regearing is almost a must.

All things considered if you wish to retain a stock "power/torgue" feel then a S/C is the way to go. While the URD is an option if you have the TRD version installed by a dealer you will also retain the warranty with it.

Hopefully once I locate somewhere to have my 6" lift installed I will also add the S/C and have a better opinion for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top