Performance chips/calibrators

View Poll Results: Which programmer?
URD MAF calibrator 44 32.12%
Unichip Programmer 31 22.63%
APR X-1 Engine controller 53 38.69%
Other, specify 9 6.57%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Performance chips/calibrators

There have been a lot of threads recently on performance chips and calibrators so I figured to take a crack at an end all thread for information on these devices. So tell us which you have/like and why they work better than others.

Bottom line to new guys, AVOID THE EBAY SHIPS that promise insane results. Here is a good explanation on these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Some of those chip DO make the engine run more lean. They work by altering the resistance valuse of the sensors they are attached to. They "May" work for a few min. or so, but as soon as the computer realizes that something is wrong, On goes the CEL, and the computer goes into "limp" mode. They are a simple resistor bought from an electronics store. If it did any good for the engine, rest assured some Dude in Osaka, Japan would have put it in from the factory.
Unichip

APR-X1

URD
Old 04-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
When I get to that point...The APR X-1 will be my programmer of choice...
For anyone unfamiliar with programmers, mind sharing why you choose that one over the rest?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
It's got the fullest range of features and controllability that I have seen...The Maf Cal from URD is great to re-map fuel but it does not allow management of ignition and it only adjusts the signal from the MAF Sensor if I understand it correctly...The X1 allows for complete control of the ignition and injection systems, as well as some system changes (cam timing gears, thermo) to help unlock every bit of power available.

Xrunnit can probably explain it better than I can...cause he's used it.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Greddy Emanage Ultimate for me.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post

Mr Turbo over here...lol

haha. It has every tuning ability available! Its just a PITA to install LOL
Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
haha. It has every tuning ability available! Its just a PITA to install LOL
I'm sure...I looked a a DAQ for my motorcycle and passed on it because of all the work to install it...and I don't really need it.

But engine data tracking with GPS mapping and relational overlays are AWESOME!!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
For the items you listed in the poll... I rank them this way, with pros/cons. As you can tell, I am for the X-1, I have been running it for almost a year, and have been VERY pleased with the results

First: APR X-1
Pros: Designed by former TRD Engineers specifically for the 1GR motor. The X-1 controls the AFR/Spark table the same as any other high level tuning device, but works better with the stock ECU . The X-1 is self tuning, meaning you can add new mods, and the X-1 will retune based on what the sensors are reporting. X-1 features unique programs you won't find in any other unit. Engine Guardian - will put the truck into a limp mode when fueling becomes an issue and could threaten the motor. Launch Control - Used for the track or general shenanigans, makes launching the truck from a dig consistent and as fast as possible (with proper tuning). Unit is also plug and play and comes with exhaust timing gears and a 170* thermostat (will provide more hp based on your tune)

Con: Timing gears are a tricky install. Cost is always a factor.

Second: URD MAF Calibrator
Pros: Takend from URD's website - Optimizing the fuel mixture for best power on stock or modified engines. Correcting MAF Sensor error caused by aftermarket intake systems. Remapping the fuel curve to compensate for high flow headers, exhaust systems, and cams. Unit is also much more affordable then any other tuning devices.

Cons: Limted to AFR control (no spark control), tuning takes more effort when compared to the X-1. Not plug and play, splicing into factory ECU wiring is required.

Third: UniChip
Pros: Your able to control both Air/Fuel and Spark for a more complete tune. Unit is plug and play. More affordable then the X-1.

Cons: Unit can ONLY be tuned by an authorized UniChip Tuning shop. Tuning can cost up around $300 a visit. Not self tuning, meaning you will need to retune for every new mod.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Apr ftw...

Worth every Dollar...
Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #12
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
philinchains is on a distinguished road
Army: counter intel, medcom
philinchains's Tacoma Gallery
Unichip

This is my 2nd unichip. I had one on a 2005 G35. My 08 Tacoma has JBA headers, AFE intake, AFE cat back, Y-pipe (no rear cats), and finally the unichip. I must say that with each upgrade, the most power felt was the rear cat deletion, and the unichip. The power it makes from 55mph to 80mph is insane. I had all mods on before the chip so I could have it tuned correctly.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
Timmy
timofthehill is on a distinguished road
Name: Timmy
timofthehill's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to timofthehill
I am still stuck on which chip. The APR-X1 cost to much for me... I want more power for a better price... URD has the maf sensor but its not a plug and play system. I don't want to be cutting into wires... The unichip I heard isn't the great.. Something to do with money to Hp ratio wasn't good.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthehill View Post
I am still stuck on which chip. The APR-X1 cost to much for me... I want more power for a better price... URD has the maf sensor but its not a plug and play system. I don't want to be cutting into wires... The unichip I heard isn't the great.. Something to do with money to Hp ratio wasn't good.
URD MAF Cali, w/piggyback harness. $500ish + ship. Half the price of the X-1.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
Timmy
timofthehill is on a distinguished road
Name: Timmy
timofthehill's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to timofthehill
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
URD MAF Cali, w/piggyback harness. $500ish + ship. Half the price of the X-1.
What about the no spark control?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #17
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthehill View Post
What about the no spark control?
If you want to have your cake and eat it also, you got to fork out the dollars. Not to sound harsh, but that's reality. Performance & Quality = $$$
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
If you want to have your cake and eat it also, you got to fork out the dollars. Not to sound harsh, but that's reality. Performance & Quality = $$$
so true, so true
Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #19
clloyd is on a distinguished road
clloyd's Tacoma Gallery
does the x-i allow changing of the throttle follower ?
could not get an answer from apr themselves
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #20
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd View Post
does the x-i allow changing of the throttle follower ?
could not get an answer from apr themselves
Can you explain what throttle follower is?