1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFR Sensor in URD Y-Pipe?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by SManZ, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Jul 22, 2014 at 5:04 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I've had a SM-AFR module sitting in my garage for way too long to piggyback into a PLX multi gauge. It has a wideband 02 sensor and a bung that needs to be welded onto a pipe.

Will I get accurate readings if I install the wideband 02 sensor bung on the URD Y-pipe close to where the bung is for the OEM second 02 sensor, marked in red below?

I was looking at getting a Y-pipe anyway and if I can just weld the bung to the Y-pipe before installation it would be a very simple process :)

Thanks!

URDYPipe.jpg

2. Jul 22, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    ICON/TC TRD Supercharger URD 2.2 and 7th
    Is there any type of cat before the y pipe? It is best to install the wideband BEFORE any cat. converter to get the most accurate readings.

3. Jul 22, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Yes, the cats closest to the motor are part of the header. Although you are correct, based on my research on this forum it is ok to install after the first cat and before the second (which in my case would be eliminated by the y-pipe).

4. Jul 22, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    Well then I would say youre good to go!

5. Jul 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    If you install a wideband sensor into that one pipe, you won't be reading off the other bank at all. You might consider installing it at the merge to read off both banks.

6. Jul 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    After looking at your pic, I was thinking this same thing.

7. Jul 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    I think it was Gadget (URD) that replied to one thread that taking readings off a single bank is ok. The collector is pretty far downstream and the 02 sensor needs temps to read correctly.

After doing some more research and seeing pics of the 4x4 URD y-pipe, I think I'm going with a Doug Thorley instead. The crossover goes under the transmission on the URD and appears to hang lower than the crossmember (similar to OEM pipes) The DT goes behind the 4x4 actuator on the t-case and absolutely cannot get hung up on anything.

8. Jul 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    One more thing...no offense to those that have replied, but I'm really looking for people that have installed a wideband AFR sensor, where they installed it, and if its working ok.

I have a pretty good idea where its going, just want to verify with real world users that this will work.

Thanks!

9. Jul 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    I actually have one installed.

[​IMG]

10. Jul 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    STiLL WILL

STiLL WILL MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt [again, not WILL]
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Sport 4wd
    Yes, I sold my '13 Taco. :'(
    This.

Gadget has told me via PM's "The correct place is in the manifold forward of the cat. Easiest on the passenger side near the stock sensor. Not always practical. Next best option is on the Y near the rear sensor."

If you're still running the front 2 cats, you won't get a completely accurate reading no matter where you stick the bung after them, period. IIRC, your AFR's will read +/- .4 higher being after the cats. So whatever your gauge spits out, you've also gotta account for the cats as well by subtracting the +/- .4 difference they make.

The ONLY downside of running the bung in the merge before the catback flange of the y-pipe will be a "transport delay" in the display of your AFR gauge. What you see now happened a little while ago since the exhaust has to move down the pipe before it gets to the sensor, but nonetheless, you still get the readings of all 6 cylinders. IMO, I would feel better about that than just having one bank AFR read out. Just me though.

I'm fully catless, and this is where I mounted my AFR bung on my URD y-pipe:

627201322358_zps01221d12_6b85285ad9be0a3b316857f26d650099e9bb12d0.jpg

For truly accurate readings, of course, you can just go fully catless with longtube headers. ;) (not always convenient come smog time, if that applies to you)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  11. Jul 23, 2014 at 2:03 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Im with Matt here

12. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Wideband is the one on the left. I'm running JBA shorties welded to front cats then a urd y pipe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  13. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Excellent! Thank you for these pics! I chatted w Gadget yesterday evening to order the y pipe and he said he may have some with an additional O2 sensor bung preinstalled. He's going to check and get back with me :) If not I think I will get a friend to weld the bung on at the merge at the back of the y pipe, before the car back flange.

14. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:10 AM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    No offense taken ;). Just keep in mind that some of the mods you see on these trucks are universal, like a WBO2. I may not have installed one on my truck (that only has 800 miles), but that doesn't mean I haven't been modifying cars and bikes for the last 13 years. Things like placement of O2 sensors doesn't change from vehicle to vehicle. The logic is all the same.

15. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Mine is exactly as matt's..... We are twins in the performance setup minus muffler types

16. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    You can get the Y pipe with the bung added in for it. I did.

[​IMG]

17. Jul 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    :thumbsup: Best choice of placement once all things are considered.

There have been a few power mongers to spare no expense, and install a gauge per bank too.

18. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Jul 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just got word back from Gadget! He says the 4WD Y-pipes have an extra bung pre-installed and I placed the order today. I'll take pics when I receive it so we can see where its located :)

XXXX sorry I missed you post...looks like you caught this already :) I'm looking forward to the ease of installation then! Appears to read right after the passenger side cat :)

Products Discussed in

To Top