1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I'm kinda at a crossroads

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by white+Peal, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Apr 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    white+Peal

white+Peal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Magaflow catback exhaust, AEM CAI, front bumper made by famous fabrication, JBA long tube headers, All pro back bumper, BPF raptor style grill, 3' toytech lift
    so i have a brand new 08 toyota tacoma i got in back in may of last year drove it right off lot with 0 miles on it BRAND NEW!!!

So i really want to mod it but i still have the warrantee 36,000 miles i think.
    So do any of u guys have your warrantees still but have moded your trucks?
    the only think i'm scared of is that i mod it then something happens to the truck and i have to pay for it all out of my own pocket.

So help me out!!

2. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Unless they can find a good reason that whatever the mod may be caused the problem you have nothing to worry about.

3. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  4. Apr 14, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    buzz wrecker

buzz wrecker Hair Metal Rules

Member:
    Newport News, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver SR5 TRD Sport 4x4
    MN Twins license plate frame, N-fab nerf steps, Aero Turbine muffler, AFE stage 2 intake
    Congress passed the Magnuson Moss warranty act a few years back, you can look it up, it basically says that the burden of proof is on the dealership to prove that the aftermarket part you installed caused whatever malfunction you're having. Otherwise you should be good to go. I've done a lot of modding on sport compacts and you see that a lot on forums. I still kinda miss my 300 hp SRT-4 sometimes...

5. Apr 15, 2009 at 4:25 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It would depend on what you're installing or what you're modifying and/or how.

Example - some of the guys who do the 'grey wire' mod which allows the use of the locker in 4hi. If they were using the locker in 4hi and broke the diff or something in the drive-train....that's a legitimate reason that Toyota could deny warrantee coverage because the safety feature was disabled.

In terms of engine mods/upgrades.....if something isn't installed properly causing something else in the engine to break/blow-up, that's another legitimate reason for toyota to deny coverage.

It all depends....and obviously, they (toyota) would have to prove fault on your part.

But for the most part....you shouldn't have to worry about it. Just use common sense. Make sure the modifications are installed properly too.

6. Apr 15, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think you are hitting on two points here- If you are going to pay for the mods (SC or Exhaust or anything else) it doesn't matter when you do it...Pay the truck off or not- Mod what you want when you want to.

but paying the truck off is a financially responsible thing to do...So if that is your motivation for not buying the big ticket mods-Good on you!!

Products Discussed in

To Top