1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dog Chewed Up URD MAF/MAP Calibrator - Salvageable?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by SManZ, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    My g/f thought it'd be a great idea to not pick up anything important and then leave the 7 month old dog out of the crate before going to work to see if she would fuck up.

Big surprise :rolleyes:...she did.

She chewed up all the wires coming out of my URD MAF/MAP calibrator along with the vacuum hose for the MAP sensor. There's about 3.5" of wires left and 1/2" of vacuum line. Originals were about 14" of wiring and probably about 5" of vacuum hose. No damage to the box.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can I solder on extensions to replace the chewed up wiring and install a two-way vacuum nipple to extend the hose or can this cause off readings? If this fix can affect performance in any way its going in the trash and I'll get another one. I'm mainly concerned about the wires because the instructions make it sound like the electronics are very sensitive to fluctuations in voltage.

The fix would result in two soldered connections per wire (one to extend the wiress and one to tap into ECU) instead of one.

Can posi-lock and posi-tap connectors be used in lieu of soldering with as-good results?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    Wow... :eek: those PosiLock thingies are really neato. :)
    They look like a really good idea. :thumbsup:

I'd be curious if it might still be connected without needing to couple extensions onto them. It looks like they can be used both for taps as well as couplings. I'm jus guessing that the wires might be about 18 or 20 gauge. So you would want to get the proper size connectors.

Greg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  3. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    solder them together finished with some heat shrink and its like it never happened ;)

unless you wanna just throw it away...ill take it :spy: lol

4. Jul 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    RND2

RND2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    In my head swimming around
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB
    RCD 4"
    ^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^

5. Jul 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Sounds good guys - thanks for the info. I can do a decent solder job :)

6. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    You need to make sure that you can do good solders, as several of those lines are low amp signals, where a questionable solder (cold solder) can cause bad signals on the back side. But assuming a good solder connection, an extension should be fine.

7. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:21 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    underdog chewing dog

8. Jul 24, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    this is how i do it (one of many ways i was taught at school) it gives a great contact since in any case if the solder where to break, the hook holds it in place
    http://youtu.be/XQvxXMlhOeo

9. Jul 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    ^^ That is awesome :D That's what I'll do! Gonna buy some shrink wrap.

I was surprised at how quickly his soldering iron heated everything up. I have to hold and wait for about a minute before it'll melt solder. Time to find a better iron.

10. Jul 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    u should be golden, take ur time and practice first.

Ill have my fingers crossed for ya.

11. Aug 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
  12. Aug 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Haha here's the little trouble maker. Her name's Maggie and she's about 19lbs now.

Good news is I successfully extended all the wires, using the hook method that Jerez posted. I got them all wrapped in heat shrink and then put the whole thing into a new cable sleeve. Looks good! I also used a vacuum connector to extend the MAP sensor hose.

IMG_4411.jpg

13. Aug 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    Maggie is a cutie. One of my dogs is named Maggie.

Hate to say it, but that solder joint in the reference video is a bad joint. That at best is a cold joint, at worst an intermittent connection.

This a much better way to do it, but I would use much thinner solder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9G9gaokqvM#t=341

G

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  14. Aug 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Bummer! Whats the better way to do this? Is there any way to verify the quality of the connection before or after installation?

15. Aug 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Ah, just saw your video and thats the way I usually do these. Bah, shoulda just done what I normally do!

Products Discussed in

To Top