Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Gearing, power and the governor

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Gearing, power and the governor

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS FOR OFFROAD RACING ONLY AND NOT STREET USE. YOU MUST HAVE RATED TIRES FOR THE SPEEDS YOU WISH TO ACHIEVE. THE GOVERNOR IS USED TO PROTECT YOU FROM THE POSSIBLE FAILURE OF A TIRE EXCEEDING THE SPEED RATING OF THE TIRE PUT ON BY THE MANUFACTURER.

This is a little thread im going to start thats an ongoing discussion about gearing and power.

GOAL: bone stock V6, 100+ MPH capable with 35s and maintain good torque thru-out RPM band.

Dis-advantages: added weight of roll cage and other racing items. means a 6,000 lb race ready vehicle (including passengers, fuel, 2 spares, tools etc etc.) also 260HP is not alot of power to move such a heavy vehicle.

The current set up I have I am running a stock V6 putting out the 260-ish horsepower. I have a 6 speed with a final gear of .85. I am running 35s and my gearing it 5.83. The governor kicks on at around 4000 RPM for me with my gearing set up so my max speed per this website \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

is 84 MPH.

Removing the governor and being able to get 5000 RPM would yield 105 MPH. Achieving my goal, but being real close to redline 5500 RPM. A $150
unit is available at URD \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://urdusa.com/Electronics-Perfor...duct_info.html

If I were to re-gear to 5.29s I would be able to achieve 105 MPH at 4500 RPM. which would be better for staying off of redline, and I would actually be able to achieve a higher top speed. but 100 MPH sustained with torque is the goal.

My worry is that 5.29 will not provide enough torque with the stock V6 to provide higher speeds sustained in the dirt.

5.43 would achieve 101MPH @ 4500 RPM

Whats everyones take?

Before asking why i went so high the gears are borrowed and I do not own them. So i need to purchase a gear set for myself. I was provided 5.83s to see how they would work. The torque is awesome and actually perfect for speeds under 85MPH but the truck is capable of higher speeds in the dirt. And re-gearing to a higher ratio (lower number) would decrease torque.

I think the website i provided might help others choose a gear set as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its worth a mention that the governor is controlled by the speedo. So my speedo would read 115MPH ish when i was hitting the governor around 4000 RPM which was aroud 80 MPH.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you tried removing the plug for the speedometer, on the transmission, but you could see if you can go faster. There is a problem with that though. Losing the speed signal, runs the opportunity to lose oil feed to the front bearing on the intake cams. Some people have had success by installing a kill switch for the speedometer sensor. Only heard of one issue, about an engine on an engine stand, that had the bearing problem.

Best bet IMO, is to contact Gadget about that device in your link. Makes sure it can work with the 1GR. As I believe that he will say that it will most likely not safely work with the 1GR. As far as I know, then only way to get past the governor, aside from the switch, is to have an aftermarket EMS capable of doing so. Currently I only know of 4 which can. The cheapest is the UCON from URD. Then there are, ProEFI, Motech, amd Vipec. Since they control the throttle body as well.

Polite correction to your stock power level. ~200 whp and ~240 wtq. If everything is bone stock.

UCON would increase power as well.

Me personally, I say 5.29. Not because of the ratio chart, but because the speed of the drive shaft is moving so fast at those RPMs and speeds. Then there is the fact that the inertial load characteristics exerted on that small pinion gear while at those speeds. But that is just me worrying.

If the 5.43, is a better match for you on paper, and keeps you below redline at the desired speeds, then that is still a good option. That way you spend less time bouncing off of the redline.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
glad to see u here Tor, I have nothing to add since u spoke of the bearing issue and the drive shaft
Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Not sure if you tried removing the plug for the speedometer, on the transmission, but you could see if you can go faster. There is a problem with that though. Losing the speed signal, runs the opportunity to lose oil feed to the front bearing on the intake cams. Some people have had success by installing a kill switch for the speedometer sensor. Only heard of one issue, about an engine on an engine stand, that had the bearing problem.

Best bet IMO, is to contact Gadget about that device in your link. Makes sure it can work with the 1GR. As I believe that he will say that it will most likely not safely work with the 1GR. As far as I know, then only way to get past the governor, aside from the switch, is to have an aftermarket EMS capable of doing so. Currently I only know of 4 which can. The cheapest is the UCON from URD. Then there are, ProEFI, Motech, amd Vipec. Since they control the throttle body as well.

Polite correction to your stock power level. ~200 whp and ~240 wtq. If everything is bone stock.

UCON would increase power as well.

Me personally, I say 5.29. Not because of the ratio chart, but because the speed of the drive shaft is moving so fast at those RPMs and speeds. Then there is the fact that the inertial load characteristics exerted on that small pinion gear while at those speeds. But that is just me worrying.

If the 5.43, is a better match for you on paper, and keeps you below redline at the desired speeds, then that is still a good option. That way you spend less time bouncing off of the redline.
I have a custom 9" rear end and a larger drive shaft. its bastard jointed at the transmission. so the drive shaft / rear end is built to handle 500+ HP.

Ill have to talk to gadget. loosing oil doesnt sound like a good thing. although it would give me an excuse to get that LS3 haha. I think im leaning towards the 5.43 and that is if I can successfully bypass the governor.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Its worth a mention that the governor is controlled by the speedo. So my speedo would read 115MPH ish when i was hitting the governor around 4000 RPM which was aroud 80 MPH.
The governor on mine is at 117mph. How about correcting the speedometer for your gears?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
The governor on mine is at 117mph. How about correcting the speedometer for your gears?
im assuming that requires a tuner? Not sure what goes into that. trying to do this cheaply for now. I still have to buy the gears too.

that tuner Torspd mentioned was in the 1300 range... If i was looking at the correct one.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
You plug it in behind your speedo cluster and tell it what gears you have. You may have to compare gps to speedo and play with it. MrGrimm has one on his.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #10

not compatible with macs the only problem with that is the governor would still work. Not that I will be going 117. But future possibilities could yield that speed on flat surfaces... I just want it to be a non issue. would be nice to know the actual speed tho
Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #11

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
You have friends that have PC.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
This is actually a great idea. Easier than a Dakota Digital wire in box. I have a Dakota Digital because my transmission gears are so different. Point is, that you can make the Speedo read slower than you are actually going, as well. Theoretically, that should let you go faster than the gov's setting.

Basically the same as when I had 35's on stock gears.

Speedo showed much slower the faster I went.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
This is actually a great idea. Easier than a Dakota Digital wire in box. I have a Dakota Digital because my transmission gears are so different. Point is, that you can make the Speedo read slower than you are actually going, as well. Theoretically, that should let you go faster than the gov's setting.

Basically the same as when I had 35's on stock gears.

Speedo showed much slower the faster I went.
Yeah its not a bad idea. Essentially I could mess with the ratios and make it work. easy bandaid to the problem. And i could use a GPS for speed.

Definitely considering this now, either way if the box from gadget works, its a little cheaper. although im not sure what will happen with the mechanical portion of my speedo when it tries to spin past 120MPH. thats if I just bypassed the governor.

Products Discussed in this Thread