1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stripped nut on exhaust flange.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Koziki, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    Koziki

Koziki [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Coquitlam, BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco
    Fog light anytime, 4Lo yellow wire mod, OME all around with 886 coils, Icon AAL, LR UCA's, Driver side seat lift, DIY Satoshi, 285/75/16 Duratracs on Pro Comp 7069,
    Hey guys, basically this all came about after I had it all installed I had a leak at the flange because I used the original gasket (they never game me a new one to start with) I know have a new gasket in but...

I over tightened the bolt trying to put on a new TRD Cat back. In the picture its the bolt on the left side and I can push it in and out when everything is aligned...

If i was to tap it out would the original bolt still work? Some what at a loss of what to do.

Edit: Bolt is new cause the first one was mangled, I was hoping the issue was just the bolt and not the welded nut as well but I did not get so lucky, only seems to have made it worse.

photo (2).jpg

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    that is a bummer, especially if the welded nut is also stripped...

for fixing, get a new flange bolt, it looks like it is long enough to use another nut stacked on top of the stripped one...you probably will have to drill out the old nut a tiny bit so the new one slips through without any interference so the threads don't get knackered..

and from now on you will need two wrenches to install and/or remove that one particular bolt/nut...

it is fixable...

3. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    Koziki

Koziki [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Coquitlam, BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco
    Fog light anytime, 4Lo yellow wire mod, OME all around with 886 coils, Icon AAL, LR UCA's, Driver side seat lift, DIY Satoshi, 285/75/16 Duratracs on Pro Comp 7069,
    Yeah the bolt should still be usable but the problem is the last 1/4 inch or so is tapered down, I think ill do like you suggested just get a new bolt and washer, use the spring and have a nut/washer just outside of the welded nut

And yea ill have to drill out the existing welded nut... thanks man.

Edit: Ill pick up some copper rtv and throw it on the gasket to help seal the deal once and for all.

4. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    because of the tapered end, I would suggest using a clamp to compress the spring a bit to make sure the new nut grabs beyond the tapered end, or you could be in the same boat as before...

you can do this.. just take your time....

5. Aug 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    Koziki

Koziki [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Coquitlam, BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco
    So, I drilled out the stripped nut and picked up a 10M bolt and hardware to match.. it seems to be holding in pretty good except I still have a lot of exhaust leaking, (same problem I started with) is it safe to run the truck with this going on?

I tried to pick up some Copper rtv ( http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81878-Maximum-Temperature-Silicone/dp/B0002UEOPA ) But home depot did not have any, would this be the solution to my problem? Thanks.

Edit: Im not sure what the gaskets made of but is it something that will seal up over some time? Feels like if the entire assembly was pulled up a bit it would stop a majority of the leaking.

photo (3).jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. Aug 7, 2014 at 2:42 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    thats where it leaking from? start the truck and see if you can feel exhaust leaking out from there

7. Aug 7, 2014 at 3:27 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I'd put a new gasket in

8. Aug 7, 2014 at 4:49 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    It just looks from the picture that it is slightly off on the alignment, may be the angle of the picture, don't know...is it a doughnut gasket?

9. Aug 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    Koziki

Koziki [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Coquitlam, BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco
    Yeah its a doughnut gasket and it is a new one. I ordered some copper rtv, going to take it back apart and through a couple beads of that around and hope that helps.

10. Aug 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    Koziki

Koziki [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Coquitlam, BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco
    Any suggestions on how to pull the assembly up just before the flange? Everything sorta is where it is because of all the hanger brackets.

11. Aug 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    It sounds like your catback is bound up on something unless the hangers are significantly misaligned. What I would do is disconnect the catback and install that pipe that is leaking first (if possible). start it up and test for leaks. then reinstall the rest. I haven't done it before, but usually, if something isn't fitting right, I tighten down the part that's having a problem first and work my way backwards.

12. Aug 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    X2! I do that all the time when a bolt strips out.

13. Aug 16, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    That joint is meant to flex. Gluing it up with gasket sealer is not a good idea.

When the welded in nut strips out you can drill it out and use a regular nut on the back side. It can be tough to compress the spring enough to get the nut on. I had done it with a large C-Clamp.

G

SoJersey likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top