Notices

Stripped nut on exhaust flange.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Koziki is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
Koziki's Tacoma Gallery
Stripped nut on exhaust flange.

Hey guys, basically this all came about after I had it all installed I had a leak at the flange because I used the original gasket (they never game me a new one to start with) I know have a new gasket in but...

I over tightened the bolt trying to put on a new TRD Cat back. In the picture its the bolt on the left side and I can push it in and out when everything is aligned...

If i was to tap it out would the original bolt still work? Some what at a loss of what to do.

Edit: Bolt is new cause the first one was mangled, I was hoping the issue was just the bolt and not the welded nut as well but I did not get so lucky, only seems to have made it worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Stripped nut on exhaust flange.-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
that is a bummer, especially if the welded nut is also stripped...

for fixing, get a new flange bolt, it looks like it is long enough to use another nut stacked on top of the stripped one...you probably will have to drill out the old nut a tiny bit so the new one slips through without any interference so the threads don't get knackered..

and from now on you will need two wrenches to install and/or remove that one particular bolt/nut...

it is fixable...
Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

Koziki's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the bolt should still be usable but the problem is the last 1/4 inch or so is tapered down, I think ill do like you suggested just get a new bolt and washer, use the spring and have a nut/washer just outside of the welded nut

And yea ill have to drill out the existing welded nut... thanks man.

Edit: Ill pick up some copper rtv and throw it on the gasket to help seal the deal once and for all.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

because of the tapered end, I would suggest using a clamp to compress the spring a bit to make sure the new nut grabs beyond the tapered end, or you could be in the same boat as before...

you can do this.. just take your time....
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #6

Koziki's Tacoma Gallery
So, I drilled out the stripped nut and picked up a 10M bolt and hardware to match.. it seems to be holding in pretty good except I still have a lot of exhaust leaking, (same problem I started with) is it safe to run the truck with this going on?

I tried to pick up some Copper rtv ( http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81878.../dp/B0002UEOPA ) But home depot did not have any, would this be the solution to my problem? Thanks.

Edit: Im not sure what the gaskets made of but is it something that will seal up over some time? Feels like if the entire assembly was pulled up a bit it would stop a majority of the leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Stripped nut on exhaust flange.-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
Blacktaco2042 is on a distinguished road
Blacktaco2042's Tacoma Gallery
thats where it leaking from? start the truck and see if you can feel exhaust leaking out from there
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #8
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I'd put a new gasket in
Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #9
OldPhart

It just looks from the picture that it is slightly off on the alignment, may be the angle of the picture, don't know...is it a doughnut gasket?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #10

Koziki's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah its a doughnut gasket and it is a new one. I ordered some copper rtv, going to take it back apart and through a couple beads of that around and hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #11

Koziki's Tacoma Gallery
Any suggestions on how to pull the assembly up just before the flange? Everything sorta is where it is because of all the hanger brackets.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Revelations is on a distinguished road
Revelations's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like your catback is bound up on something unless the hangers are significantly misaligned. What I would do is disconnect the catback and install that pipe that is leaking first (if possible). start it up and test for leaks. then reinstall the rest. I haven't done it before, but usually, if something isn't fitting right, I tighten down the part that's having a problem first and work my way backwards.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
that is a bummer, especially if the welded nut is also stripped...

for fixing, get a new flange bolt, it looks like it is long enough to use another nut stacked on top of the stripped one...you probably will have to drill out the old nut a tiny bit so the new one slips through without any interference so the threads don't get knackered..

and from now on you will need two wrenches to install and/or remove that one particular bolt/nut...

it is fixable...
X2! I do that all the time when a bolt strips out.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
That joint is meant to flex. Gluing it up with gasket sealer is not a good idea.

When the welded in nut strips out you can drill it out and use a regular nut on the back side. It can be tough to compress the spring enough to get the nut on. I had done it with a large C-Clamp.

G

Products Discussed in this Thread