1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Underdrive pulleys

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by sawdust, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Jun 15, 2008 at 1:02 PM
    TRYMY4.0

TRYMY4.0 SuperMod of IA.com

Member:
    I have never done and underdrive pully. I wouldnt trust one. Seems you might over rev the engine or oil pump. Best bang for your buck, cat removal.

Your MPG goes up and so does ur HP. TQ might go down a bit.

Did i read that some of you are wanting to MAKE ur own? If it doesnt have a dampener in the pulley your going to get much more vibration while at idle and cruising.

-Ant.

2. Jun 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I ran underdrive pulleys on my import racers. What it's doing is freeing up drag. Same concept as taking off the belt that turns your power steering pump. No power steering, but you will notice the motor will wind up quickly without it. I would definately run the Underdrive pulley for my truck. The amount of accelleration gained, compared to the lost of ie.. alternator charge, and power steering control, is well worth it. I do not however recommend trial and other. Let the pro's do their job and trial & era it for us. Then you can go out and purchase the finished proven product.

Oh... and the pulley on the crank is the way to go. All your center mass is there, so underdrivng will allow you to rev up quicker utilizing less horse, hense the term Underdrive=underworking your crankshaft. Less load = more power...

3. Jun 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    IMHO, using an underdrive pully system is not worth it. Your charging system will not put out the power you need untill higher in the rpm range. Not to mention you will be slowing down other items, such as the water pump, fan, etc. You will get a marginal increase in h.p., but its something you should think about. My $0.02 :)

4. Jun 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    i saw something over at xr-underground.com that nonstoptuning is making a crank pulley for the 4.0, supposed to be half the weight, increase HP, MPG and torque. is this safe for your engine, is it worth the investment?

5. Jun 15, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    VsTacoma

VsTacoma Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Off-Road,...is there another kind?
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, Taco hood protector, Taco tube steps, Taco front skid plate, Billet grill (upper & lower), window visors front & rear, Pro Comp ES3000 rear shocks, level w/2" lift to front and 1" to rear.
    I don't know dude...I'm just posting to see if I have that little green dot under my name.

6. Jun 15, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    VsTacoma

VsTacoma Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Off-Road,...is there another kind?
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, Taco hood protector, Taco tube steps, Taco front skid plate, Billet grill (upper & lower), window visors front & rear, Pro Comp ES3000 rear shocks, level w/2" lift to front and 1" to rear.
    Yup! I got one!

7. Jun 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM
    1killerkaw

1killerkaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver DC LB SR5 4x4 Tow Pkg.
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
  8. Jun 17, 2008 at 12:04 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I just saw these...very tempting. Does the original crank pully act like a counterbalancer though ....where as a true underdrive pully is smaller but might weight the same. This one is the same size but lighter. I've never used one of these personally...so I don't know.

9. Jun 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    In theory you'll "free up" the horsepower absorbed by turning large pulleys- The gains will be limited without SERIOUS engine modifcations but doable.

I think that you will spend more money on other mods- but you'll get better gains out of those- without needing to daisy chain mods together.

I had a 5.2L supercharged engine on a 5 spd tranny with a corvette fuel system and some other treats- and even with all that work done- I still hadn't dropped an underdrive into it. (but that's just the Bruno Garage Magic)

10. Jul 19, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    Crionchip

Crionchip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD 4x4 OR DCLB
    Common mod on Nissan Frontier. I did it on my Frontier back in 2005. Worked great. Did make a difference, no Dyno data, but seemed significant.

11. Jan 23, 2023 at 8:07 PM
    silverbear07

silverbear07 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Gulfcoast, MS
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Taco
    Anyone know if an underdrive pulley ever came out for the 2nd gen Tacomas and how it has gone?

12. Jan 23, 2023 at 8:07 PM
    cryptolime

cryptolime Here to Help

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR 4x4 2.7L
    it's a pretty common performance mod. URD sells a ton of pulleys. I bet they have one that would work. a simpler mod would be to turn off the A/C. free HP.

13. Jan 23, 2023 at 8:15 PM
    silverbear07

silverbear07 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Gulfcoast, MS
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Taco
    Love my A/C. Need it here on the coast.

14. Jan 31, 2023 at 5:43 AM
    blu92in99

blu92in99 Hates everyone, equally

Member:
    Elk Grove, Ca
  15. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:09 AM
    sf.larry

sf.larry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    larry
    Vehicle:
    2011 XR
    There was a groupbuy a while back for these. If you post in the magnuson supercharger thread you'll get good feedback.

16. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:36 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    This has got to be the oldest thread revival I've ever seen on here :D

Im curious, are we talking about UNDERdriving just the alternator or the entire accessory drive system (main pulley)?

17. Feb 1, 2023 at 4:27 AM
    TaylorTRD

TaylorTRD Big ole log thumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Eastern Berks/Lehigh Valley PA
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD catback exhaust, Volant CAI with Powercore filter, Meso Customs Red/White LED map lights, Sequential smoked 3rd brake light, Morimoto XB LED foglights
    The OP looks to be talking about underdrive pulleys, but the only ones available that I've found and linked a few posts above this, are not underdrive pulleys. They're just lightened versions of the OEM ones, which is what you want. I've ran underdrive pulleys before for awhile on an NA 4 cylinder, and while it definitely made the throttle response and power delivery quicker, I wouldn't use underdrive pulleys if I would do it again. Lightened pulleys do exactly the same thing and will get you the same results without sacrificing powering your accesories in the process.

Products Discussed in

To Top