Noise coming from front of engine.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
08comatose is on a distinguished road
Navy: FC2 USS GRAVELY
Name: Michael
08comatose's Tacoma Gallery
Noise coming from front of engine.

Hey TW,

So recently a noise has caught my attention and has been getting louder. It happens when the engine idles at its lowest which make me think its a pulley. Its not the belt and its not idler pulleys (I jumped the gun and bought new pulleys and serp belt and replaced them). Its like a chirping that you would here when something is rubbing wrong like a bad bearing in a pulley. It gets louder when the A/C is engaged which leads me towards the compressor clutch pulley... but when i was in there replacing the idlers, I accidentally spun the fan and there was a slight chirp that happens when the cooling fan pulley rotates slow. I still wonder why the A/C on would make it louder other than there is an extra load on the loop. What do you guys think?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
The radiator fan is making the sound? IMO it should NOT. Is there any stain on the fan shaft? Like the bearing is leaking?
Not sure about your year. But I never had an auto that the fan clutch makes any noise.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Blacktaco2042 is on a distinguished road
Blacktaco2042's Tacoma Gallery
waterpump
Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Do not believe the waterpump would be the noise if he spun the fan with the engine off. If the engine was running--i would agree.
Is there a fan clutch on his model?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
I'm on duty today but I will take a vid tomorrow so you guys can hear it. I considered the water pump as well I'm just not sure the noise would be as pronounced under the timing cover. Yes there's a fan clutch.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08comatose View Post
I'm on duty today but I will take a vid tomorrow so you guys can hear it. I considered the water pump as well I'm just not sure the noise would be as pronounced under the timing cover. Yes there's a fan clutch.
It was just now that I realized that this is not my 92 4runner... The serpentine belt spins the waterpump via the fan pulley doesnt it...
Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Noise from front of engine: http://youtu.be/qrwRHaLCj6M
Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Noise from front of engine: http://youtu.be/qrwRHaLCj6M
"this video is private"

Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Just for you......
imm go tear shit apart in the truck then
Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
Should be public now.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Also the belt squeals now when the engine is cold. And the goes away after about 5 to 10 mins of driving.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #13
Tensioner gone bad?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tensioner gone bad?
Since that is what sets the tension for the belt, it could very well cause an issue. Watch the "arm" of the tensioner. It should remain constant. If it jumps around then the tensioner spring is bad and the tensioner should be replaced.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #15

Another way to isolate EXACTLY where the noise originates-Use a LONG screwdriver or metal object-put one end to where you believe the noise originates(not on a moving part)-and the other to your ear(of course).
BAMAToy--knows his stuff!! check his post first!!
Keep us posted.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #16
Whole new issue now... I found where the squealing came from. There is oil all over the front of the engine. I found what looks likes a gasket or seal hanging from around the back of the crankshaft pulley... it's about 4 inches wide... so it can't be the front crankshaft seal. What the hell could it be? No auto parts stores know what it is.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
Watching it run the crankshaft pulley has a wobble to it as well... That shouldn't happen should it?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #18
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I think someone around here replaced the oil in the fan clutch with synthetic- I wonder how that's working? Ya, to me it sounds like the fan.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #19
If the crankshaft front seal is bad, will that allow a little travel on the crankshaft pulley?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #20
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whole new issue now... I found where the squealing came from. There is oil all over the front of the engine. I found what looks likes a gasket or seal hanging from around the back of the crankshaft pulley... it's about 4 inches wide... so it can't be the front crankshaft seal. What the hell could it be? No auto parts stores know what it is.
Quote:
Watching it run the crankshaft pulley has a wobble to it as well... That shouldn't happen should it?
Quote:
If the crankshaft front seal is bad, will that allow a little travel on the crankshaft pulley?
OK, from what I read in these three quotes, I am guessing one of two things.

1. The harmonic balancer has had a piece of the dampening rubber come loose from the back side, and has caught up into the front main seal, causing an oil leak.

2. A piece of the belt, or piece of an older belt, has gotten caught up behind the balancer, and has caught up into the front main seal, causing an oil leak.

Either way, pull the balancer and inspect it. If the balancer is wobbling, then you should replace it anyway since there is a high risk of throwing a belt.