Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Financing a TRD Supercharger? Possible?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
trexTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Felix
trexTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Financing a TRD Supercharger? Possible?

So, I was reading a post on how much HP a SC can put out I was quiet impressed and got hooked on reading more about it. I saw a group debating whether you can and cannot???

Has anyone done this type of thing??? Financing a SC? If so how or with who did you finance?

Im curious because I thought this was a cash money purchase type of thing?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
eazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant future

Name: Jay
eazyrider711's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trexTRD View Post
So, I was reading a post on how much HP a SC can put out I was quiet impressed and got hooked on reading more about it. I saw a group debating whether you can and cannot???

Has anyone done this type of thing??? Financing a SC? If so how or with who did you finance?

Im curious because I thought this was a cash money purchase type of thing?
You need a bank/financial institution that will value that amount over the value of the truck, and allow you to upgrade. Toyota financial will not finance a SC at all. They have a pretty locked down policy on this.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud of

Name: Chris
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
I suggest saving for it. I literally just picked one up about 5 minutes ago on my CC but I have the cash to back up the purchase. I only used my CC to continue building my credit.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
BuddyS is on a distinguished road
BuddyS's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about adding one to a truck you already own, or buying a new truck and having the SC put on by the dealer and working it into your monthly payment?

My advice; don't finance mods. Save until you can buy it outright. Chances are by the time you save up the money you won't be so hot to blow it all on a SC anyway.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
I suggest saving for it. I literally just picked one up about 5 minutes ago on my CC but I have the cash to back up the purchase. I only used my CC to continue building my credit.
I would do exactly this if I was buying one. If I was gonna finance one it wold only be on a new truck that had it installed by the dealer.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud ofRock Lobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
I would do exactly this if I was buying one. If I was gonna finance one it wold only be on a new truck that had it installed by the dealer.
Next vehicle I get I'm going to have the dealer slap it on at the time of purchase. They can do it even though they claim they cannot. If you walk in with enough down they will bend the rules. People on here have finance the blower with a new vehicle purchase.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

trexTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not planning on doing that, Just saw and got curious about you actually being able to finance one.

I already have my truck so I would just be adding on tho.
I just wanted to get an answer if it was possible or not.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

trexTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post

So you guys have CC limit over 6k lol???
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #10

trexTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyrider711 View Post
You need a bank/financial institution that will value that amount over the value of the truck, and allow you to upgrade. Toyota financial will not finance a SC at all. They have a pretty locked down policy on this.

So in this case who exactly would you contact and tell?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

yes

and why not just a small personal line of credit from your bank?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
It wasn't a rock...

Quote:
I was approved for it but I never ask for a higher limit. Also I'm doing the install so it only cost me 4290 plus the reflash when I go for it.

It also helps not having any debt...but now I'm in it for a couple of months.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
2011supercoma is on a distinguished road
Name: capt. schyler
2011supercoma's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine with my bank, rolled it Into my note.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #14
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
OP you have a credit limit of under 6k? Your situation doesn't sound particularly advantageous to financing a supercharger. I'd save your cash.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
OP you have a credit limit of under 6k? Your situation doesn't sound particularly advantageous to financing a supercharger. I'd save your cash.
x2
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #17

trexTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post

Honestly I've never asked for a limit hahaa thats why I was curious my limit right now is 2500

I never use my CC either thats why i was asking haha. Got my credit card right when I turned 18 ahaha. I'm sure I can raise it now or ask for a raise right? Truck is under my name bought it on 13 and just recently bought a jetski too so not sure if any effect.

ANYWAYS IM JUST ASKING JEESH NEVER SAID I WAS TAKING OUT SC ON CREDIT CARD I'M JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE LIKE I SAID I THOUGHT ALL THESE PERFORMANCE THINGS WERE "CASH BOUGHT" SEEMS LIKE THERE NOT.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #18

trexTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011supercoma View Post
I did mine with my bank, rolled it Into my note.
Asked for a loan or bought through CC?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
FatTony415 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
FatTony415's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my 2014 last September, I inquired into the possibility of: (1) financing the TRD SC as part of the purchase of my truck; and (2) having it installed for free. The answer to both questions was "no" - Toyota does not authorize it. I bought the TRD cat back exhaust and alarm as dealer installed options - both were included in the cost of financing and I did not pay for installation. But that does not apply to the TRD SC, even though it is listed as a dealer installed option at the time of purchase. I'm assuming this is for CAFE reasons, because it could be considered an optional engine if you can finance it as part of a new truck purchase.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meat Popsicle
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Asked for a loan or bought through CC?
In Canada we have a company, I think it's called FinanceIt, that will finance large modifications to vehicles at a reasonable interest rate. You find a participating dealer or shop and have them send in your paperwork. Just like a credit card you get offered a rate and a payment term, you can say yay or nay. I think it's around 7.9% with good credit, but they do warn it can be up to 19.9% (probably if you live in a box or have terrible credit). I know a friend of mine got a S/C, ARB bumper, and Icon Stage 3 package all installed for about $9000 then financed it over 3 years. He was almost all cash on his truck purchase so it made sense for him to finance the upgrades he wanted but could not afford with his yearly oilfield earnings over waiting and saving another year.

Also, as others have said, sometimes dealerships will bend the rules on financing a S/C on your new purchase. You don't have that option sadly. I would never put a 5K purchase on a Credit Card, which has rates around 12.9-28%, instead I would use a line of credit or bank loan if I needed to borrow that sort of money.