1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Me Understand My AFR Readings?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by SManZ, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sep 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I just installed a URD Y-pipe and a wideband O2 sensor for AFR readings. I have a PLX OBDII scanner and a PLX SM-AFR add-on. The wideband O2 sensor is located downstream of the front right cat and reads the right bank only.

My performance mods are;
    TRD S/C
    TRD Intake
    URD 2.8" S/C pulley
    URD Y-pipe (no rear cats)
    MBRP turndown exhaust
    Stock headers and forward cats

The AFR reads 14.6 most of the time. At WOT in 2nd and 3rd it will peak at 10.9 for a moment, thought it will generally stay in the 11-12 range. The AFR stays at 14.6 unless I exceed about 90% engine load.

It looks like 20 is the lowest AFR that the device can display and it will show this when engine braking. I'm guessing that fuel is cut on decel when the transmission is in gear?

So I have these numbers but don't really know if its good or too lean or what. What do you think?

-Thanks!

2. Sep 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Sounds like she running just about right.....!!:thumbsup:

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    14.6 is the ratio your ECU is constantly striving for in closed loop. It'll bounce around slightly, but not too far out of line. As you said, 20 during engine braking is just showing fuel cutoff. So once you go WOT, the ECU switches from closed loop to open loop right around 4k rpm (not exactly sure of the exact rpm). At open loop, the ECU isn't trying to maintain that stoic 14.6 afr anymore, but it's running off of its predetermined settings. The more air you're moving through that engine, the leaner you'll see that WOT number go. The trd reflash tends to run richer than 10 completely stock, which is not good. You want that number to be around 10.5-12, depending on who you ask. The leaner you're running at WOT, the hotter it gets in the combustion chamber and that's how things break, but you tend to make more power. Contrary, the richer run, the less power youll have and there's also a chance that fuel can wash the cylinder walls causing premature wear between piston rings and cylinder wall.

In short, you're safe where it is, and you even have some room for more power.

4. Sep 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Ur fine.

I used to pin at 10:1 or lower before the pulley swap.

Now I'm in 11's wot.

Lean is mean but can break shit.

Is this with fpr mod done or not?

5. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Thanks for all the replies! Glad to hear that its looking good!

Justus, I haven't done the fpr mod but I did replace the OEM pump with a 340lph.

6. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    good move!

I just wanted a baseline of the fuel mods, thats all.

7. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top