1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headers for the tacoma

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by white+Peal, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    white+Peal

white+Peal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Magaflow catback exhaust, AEM CAI, front bumper made by famous fabrication, JBA long tube headers, All pro back bumper, BPF raptor style grill, 3' toytech lift
    About a couple of month ago i purchased long tube headers from URD. These are the ones: http://urdusa.com/Exhaust-&-Headers...oma,-07-09-FJ,03-09-4Runner/product_info.html

I even bought the O2 Simulator so that i wouldn't throw a check engine light even tho i didn't remove my Cats. So a couple of months go by and no problems what so ever then a couple of weeks ago i throw a check engine code i went down to auto zone and this is the code i got: P0138 which tell me this: http://engine-codes.com/p0138_toyota.html

So from what i take it as is that all i need to do is replace that rear O2, alright so i went ahead and did that but i still thew the same code after i reset the battery.

So i guess my question is this is anyone running the same set-up and if so did u get the same problems even if your not running this any help is much appreciated!! :D I've been at this for weeks and just can't figure it out and i'd rather not take it down to the steelership unless i absolutely have to.

2. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I have the same headers with the y pipe (no cats).

All I ever got was a P420 code which was a cat ineficiancy (sp) code and I reset it..... Yr later and no issues.

Use a reader like the scangauge 2 or ultragauge to reset the code. Maybe it works better than the battery reset?

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    I am running the DTLT headers with sims, haven't had an issue other than collector gaskets. Even the ones I got from URD didn't seal.
    Anyways, are you having any other conditions that may say you are actually having a problem? Fuel consumption, exhaust smell? If not, you can try a non-fouler. Autozone has them for about $5 each. They are use for spark plugs, but also used for O2 sensors to pull them out of the exhaust stream. Depending on which ones they have, you may have to drill the end of it out to open it up so the sensor can get enough exhaust to function.
    Legal note: as with the headers, this suggestion is for off road/racing use.:D
    11_8ad644e7e22cef277f495ccf06a5e732ae2b0178.jpg

4. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    white+Peal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Magaflow catback exhaust, AEM CAI, front bumper made by famous fabrication, JBA long tube headers, All pro back bumper, BPF raptor style grill, 3' toytech lift
    All my gaskets sealed fine i'm petty sure i would have to take a better look to be certain and ru running no cats??:cool: I was looking for all that when it first came on. Ive had no smoking or exhaust smell not even more fuel consumption the truck runs the same, pulls the same even sounds the same. Do u think because i didn't remove the cats that would make the sensor go off??

5. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    white+Peal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Did u end up buying that O2 Stimulator from them or u didn't need to because of that scangauge? And do u think removing the cats would fix the problem??:D

6. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I bought the 02 Sim for URD as well............

the scangauge just reads and clears CEL

As for removing the cats, its 1 less thing to go bad right?

7. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    By not removing the cats, you are referring to the rear cats. Or did you have the headers cut to shorts and have the forward cats welded in? LT headers remove the front cats.
    I am running the rear cats only (stock y pipe) with the URD dual channel sim. Before taking it to the dealer to have them charge you a diag fee to tell you that it is because of your non-OEM equipment, contact the guys at URD again. My memory is that of a 80 year old with dementia, but I think Gadget would be the one to talk to if he's still around (correct me if I'm wrong guys).
    Personally I'd try the non-fouler trick before taking it to a dealer. But I'm a broke bastard who can't afford the dealer for anything other than oil filters.

8. Sep 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    tacomaluver

tacomaluver Member

Member:
    new york
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma trd sport
    exhaust, cold air intake, lights and a westin black/stainless bullbar dual exhaust after muffler/ unichp and a trd short throw shifter rear sway bar optima yellow top redline hood struts
    1 question... what is an o2 simulator? i recently installed headers and (temporarily) removed the 4 cats (v6).I'm a;so getting the 420/430 codes. I have a scangauge.

9. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  10. Sep 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    white+Peal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    UPDATE: Finally figured out the problem, One of the pins in the O2 sensors had got pulled out when i had been off roading a couple of days before hand. Just had to put the pin back in. So far so good its been a couple weeks and no check engine light

RocketTaco808 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top