Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD catback exhaust

Old 09-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
kuffler is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
kuffler's Tacoma Gallery
TRD catback exhaust

Just wondering if the dealer installed TRD catback is worth the money? I want something a little more beefy than stock but don't want it to sound like a weedwacker. Nor, do I want to sacrifice MPG's. Any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
TheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant future

TheFang's Tacoma Gallery
How much will it be via the dealer rather then a 3rd party? Its a really easy install if you do it yourself. And if you read any of the threads on here about the TRD how you decried the cat back is pretty accurate: a little more beefy but not too loud or obnoxious.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
kuffler's Tacoma Gallery
It's $520 from Toyota website not including labor. Third party, I haven't checked. i didn't get the truck yet. I'm just inquiring. When I ordered the Tacoma I asked about the catback and the salesman told me to go see the local speed shop for stuff like that.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Blacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktaco2042 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Blacktaco2042's Tacoma Gallery
the dealer i work for installs any parts the customer wants no matter brand
Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
I don't check PMs! :(
TRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRSAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
I'll find out next weekend. Ordered it from my dealer for $390.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
kuffler's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2015 Tacoma on order from my dealership. I just found out that the completion date is Sept 16 so I asked if they could have a catback put on during the build. My salesman quotes me a price of $700! I declined. Gonna tackle it myself. Anyone know of the best deal out there?
Old 09-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
I don't check PMs! :(
TRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRSAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
It's slightly louder than stock. You can definitely hear it.

I had my dealer match the best price I found online.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
TNTaco12pack is on a distinguished road
TNTaco12pack's Tacoma Gallery
I have one on my 2012, it came installed from the dealer new. If it's not part of the package you are ordering I would save the money on labor and install it myself. It's completely bolt on using stock locations for the hangers. First off the esthetics of it are a great improvement. I love the sound. It's a little loud in the cabin but I enjoy it. It's no V8 deep sound but it still sounds pretty good.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Revelations is on a distinguished road
Revelations's Tacoma Gallery
I test drove a new '14 that had one plus the trd intake. The low end was missing a lot of grunt. I test drove a stock one and the modified one back to back. Modded one was much louder in the cabin, but I did like the exhaust note. The downside was the missing torque down low. It'd be fine with a supercharger, but stock, it's slower off the line.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/8HEbIKhO3L8
Old 03-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
AZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AZ Sun Lover's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
Thanks Rock!
Sounds great & I hear more tires than exhaust note.

AZ
Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #13
TheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant futureTheFang has a brilliant future

TheFang's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered the URD y-pipe. That should make my SC and TRD cat back sound amazing
Old 03-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #14
AZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZ Sun Lover is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AZ Sun Lover's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPRO4X4 View Post
Cold air and supercharger in the recording?
What CAI is it and was it worth the funds?

I added CAI's many years ago and they helped. But as of lately they seem to be a waste of funds other than sound & bling. We have a little 2008 MX-5, sometimes I auto cross in. Mods are, tires, wheels, suspension, a very nice header & CAI, the header helped a lot, the CAI was a waste of funds, the dyno proved this to be true.

AZ
Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #15
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
$370 from the dealer. Installed with the help of my dad.

Some people have installed it by themselves but having an extra person really helped. Spray the rubber hangers with WD40 and wiggle them back and forth and they come right off.

Edit: I can take a picture of my reciept if it helps people get their Toyota dealership to price match
Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #16
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Cold air and supercharger in the recording?
I just had the exhaust at that point. It sounds like a jet with the blower but I don't have a vid of it yet.

I'm sure you've see this:

http://youtu.be/KcrP7IB9-WU

That's blower and intake.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
TXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
I just had the exhaust at that point. It sounds like a jet with the blower but I don't have a vid of it yet.

I'm sure you've see this:

http://youtu.be/KcrP7IB9-WU

That's blower and intake.
Ahh yes, there it is.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
It wasn't a rock...

Quote:
Ahh yes, there it is.
You can definitely hear it outside. People look all the time but I bet they think my power steering pump is bad.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
TXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sun Lover View Post
What CAI is it and was it worth the funds?

I added CAI's many years ago and they helped. But as of lately they seem to be a waste of funds other than sound & bling. We have a little 2008 MX-5, sometimes I auto cross in. Mods are, tires, wheels, suspension, a very nice header & CAI, the header helped a lot, the CAI was a waste of funds, the dyno proved this to be true.

AZ
Many have stated aftermarket cai. do nothing for h.p on the dino.
Stock is a cai.
I think it helps make a better sound with trd or aftermarket cai.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #20
GWOT Infidel
Solid Seung is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT Fire Team Leader B Co. 2/27 INF 25th Infantry Division
Name: Sam
Solid Seung's Tacoma Gallery
Get the TRD exhaust, you won't be disappointed. After that, you can get a supercharger installed if your budget allows. I got the TRD exhaust ordered and installed at the dealership for $475 in 2013. Recently I got the TRD Supercharger ordered and installed (same dealership) for $6500. I do not regret it one bit, I love the TRD combo!