1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFE CAI / Dust Cover Does Not Fit

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by jeffhorton, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Sep 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    jeffhorton

jeffhorton [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    GA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 4x4 Offroad
    TRD S/C
    Does any one else have an AFE Cold Air Intake (model 51-82342) and their dust/debris cover does not fit?

Of the holes that the 6 screws secure it with, i can only get 3 of them to properly line up, their's at least an 1/8" where the next hole is supposed to be for the screw to go into.

i was going to try to drill the holes bigger, but was wondering if anyone else experienced this and was able to get a replacement cover?

51-82342.jpg

2. Sep 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    Sometimes they cam be diffcicult to fit. The box is not totaly rigid so you pry it a bit. Begin with the 2 screw close to the motor (hand titghtened) and the to the next row. When all 6 in place you can tighten its.

3. Sep 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    SkimSTI

SkimSTI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM TRD dblcab & '16 Mercedes C450
    Magnaflow exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake, King 2.5" resi coilover/rear shocks, Pro Comp UCA's, Deaver 1.5" leaf pack, BPF raptor style grill
    i just installed this intake tonight, and was quite pissed this piece was so OFF. i had to use a screw driver to pry part of it just to get it to line up. i am wondering if they were either manufactured crappy or maybe just warped from heat sitting in a warehouse? no idea. but def frustrating.

id imagine once you actually get it on, the heat from the engine bay will warp it back into place over time.. guess we will find out soon enough.

4. Sep 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    My AFE lid lines up fine.

5. Sep 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    My AFE was ALWAYS like this..........set 1 corner, adjust the next with a screw driver or even better an (awl). Then set each corner that way and complete the rest.

Its a good 4yrs old and feels a little "better" but shes still about as cooperative as a drunken sock puppet.

6. Oct 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    jesseunvoas

jesseunvoas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Swift Current, Sask, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT
    3" Ready Lift Super 80 Muffler AFE Stage 2 CAI Pro Dry Filter OEM Roof Rack RollBAK Tonneau Cover Cooper AT3 Tires Kakays On The Roof free candy topper
    I had 2 of the 6 not line up just notched them a 1/16-1/8" fits fine now no leakage past the seal

7. Oct 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    Traviste

Traviste Now with more woopow

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Locked 4x4 Mid-Travel
    F:King 2.5 coilover resi ext 700#coils R:King 2.5 ext allpro expos
    I think some of them a just warped...when I installed mine it was off. With a little love i got all the screws in but was not happy so I measured and made my own cover from plexiglas. The cai had been in the engine bay for about a week and when I removed the old cover and installed mine the box was the correct shape and all the holes lined up

Products Discussed in

To Top