Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Throttle body spacer worth it?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Throttle body spacer worth it?

Ok Does a 12mm throttle body spacer actual do anything worth while for the $$?

I have never heard anything about them or anyone actual using one.

thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I have heard that these are junk and a waste of money.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Don't waste your money.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, of course it works..... as a paperweight.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weapons Director
nolanspawn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to nolanspawn
If our intake manifold was made out of aluminum or other metal then there might be a point. Even more so if they made spacers to go between the intake manifold and the heads. Only in that case though of our intake manifold being made of metal. With our intake being plastic, thats the unit you would want to stay cool. Its not going to get as hot and hold heat as much as metal.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Waste'o'money is what it should be called
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.streetandperformanceelect...ptp/hptpim.htm

Bee GEE has one installed on the forums. Said he gained 20HP from it?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...exhaust-2.html
Post 23 on his parts list and go to his pics.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
his caption is straight from a website...u can tell by the wording. and correct me if i'm wrong people, but wouldnt a tb spacer only work on an engine w/o fuel injection? its basis is for the air/fuel mixture...but no fuel goes in where this spacer is on the 4.0L
Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, those things only work on non-FI'd engines. There's no way that the air can stay swirled thoughout the inake plenum down to the combustion chamber.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Yeah, those things only work on non-FI'd engines. There's no way that the air can stay swirled thoughout the inake plenum down to the combustion chamber.

you got that right!!!

all throttle body spacers are is basically "snake oil"!!! companies know people will put down money for things that are too good to be true, and im willing to bet the only increase anyone sees with a tb spacer is the "placebo effect"!!!

in other words..........................spend money on something worthwhile,not something that whistles!!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect timing. I have tried one of these on my 2007 4.0 L Tacoma. As far as I could tell there is no performance change, no negative anyway. But, my fuel economy went up. I dont really get why, but here is what I think.

After installing the spacer, it took the truck about 15 min. to get used to it and bring the idle down to its original levels. After instalation it tried to idle at 1600rpm.

What the spacer did was change the powerband. The lower rpms, under 2000-2500, see a bit less power, but over 2500-3000, sees power faster. It seemed to sort of condense the area where I saw the most power. Because during everday driving I keep it under 2500rpm, the truck would not accelerate as fast as before, and therefore use less gas( maybe). But when I do want to go fast, I floor it and it takes off( just as fast as prior to the spacer)

I dont know if this change was due to the HUGE POWER OF THE SPACER, or more likely moving the sensors about 1.25" away from the intake manifold. But it did do something to my fuel economy. It does something because the idle was originally way off.

Like I said, this is my best guess. Any other ideas?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
Perfect timing. I have tried one of these on my 2007 4.0 L Tacoma. As far as I could tell there is no performance change, no negative anyway. But, my fuel economy went up. I dont really get why, but here is what I think.

After installing the spacer, it took the truck about 15 min. to get used to it and bring the idle down to its original levels. After instalation it tried to idle at 1600rpm.

What the spacer did was change the powerband. The lower rpms, under 2000-2500, see a bit less power, but over 2500-3000, sees power faster. It seemed to sort of condense the area where I saw the most power. Because during everday driving I keep it under 2500rpm, the truck would not accelerate as fast as before, and therefore use less gas( maybe). But when I do want to go fast, I floor it and it takes off( just as fast as prior to the spacer)

I dont know if this change was due to the HUGE POWER OF THE SPACER, or more likely moving the sensors about 1.25" away from the intake manifold. But it did do something to my fuel economy. It does something because the idle was originally way off.

Like I said, this is my best guess. Any other ideas?
That is odd to say the least. I think the "theory" is sound but as we can all agree it seems it is a waste of money for EFI cars.

Word to anyone reading this thread. DON"T BUY ONE
Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #13
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
This is the only way I can think of to explain what happened when I put it on. Maybe it is a waste of time to buy one as a performance upgrade, but it did work as a cheap improvement to the MPGs. I would not tell anyone not to buy one. Just dont be fooled into thinking it will increase HP.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
AZsurfer13 is on a distinguished road

AZsurfer13's Tacoma Gallery
New TB's Coming Out

True, most of the new TB's dont do much, but that is because most of them out there for the Tacoma's are generic. AFE is coming out with a line of them Mid January. From what I hear they are supposed to be awesome! I will be getting one for my truck for sure.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Wow this is one OLD ASS thread, anyone know if this has changed any? If there a any 'good' tb spacers now?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
Wow this is one OLD ASS thread, anyone know if this has changed any? If there a any 'good' tb spacers now?
Crap doesn't get better.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Dinosaur shit is worth more money yes?
Oh yeah. It also does a better job at mixing fuel and air than a tbs does.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
A buddy of mine is trading in his Tacoma and is gonna give me his Poweraid TBS and aftermarket intake. Is it worth it to install it for kicks and giggles or no?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
A buddy of mine is trading in his Tacoma and is gonna give me his Poweraid TBS and aftermarket intake. Is it worth it to install it for kicks and giggles or no?
If you are bored do it.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If you are bored do it.
Will it sound like my Scion TC?