Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Alright. Help. Header questions.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
dxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0321
Name: Brandon
dxpsman's Tacoma Gallery
Alright. Help. Header questions.

Every time I end up doing one thing to my truck I'm confronted with doing something else that might make it even more awesome. Sound familiar, anyone?

Anyway, I'm committed to putting a new exhaust on my '14 Taco. I'm getting it custom-built at a local shop for a great price, and I'm good there. However, the guy (who's definitely trying to make a couple bucks, but isn't out to completely screw me) suggested I might want to add headers (long tube of course). I live in California, which makes this an issue for smogging, but I've got six years until that's an issue.

I'm most concerned with possible issues that may arise from installing headers, and weighing them against the possible reward (which I know are somewhat limited). This forum has proven to be a wealth of information, I'm again relying on the help of its members to school me. What's the ideal way to have LT headers installed, and is it even worthwhile?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have seen, long tubes on the 4.0 reduce low end power a bit but they flow like crazy higher up.

You will need O2 simulators for the headers.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
get short tube headers then
Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
or boost

400ish vs 4grand
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
Cant put a price on love

my wallet and the dealership says otherwise.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
From what I have seen, long tubes on the 4.0 reduce low end power a bit but they flow like crazy higher up.
I don't know if this can be applied to the 4.0 but dyno test results show exactly the opposite with the 2.7.
A DT short tube header raises the torque peak from 3,800 rpms stock up to 4,000 rpms...
...while an LCE long tube header lowers the torque peak from 3,800 rpms stock down to 3,150 rpms.

If you want more bottom end... go long and don't open up the rest of the exhaust too much.

Greg
Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I don't know if this can be applied to the 4.0 but ...
Can't be applied the same. 4.0 LT and STs are the opposite. Pipe size, length, and collectors make them respond differently then just about every other engine out there.