toyota diesel query.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 TI
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
toyota diesel query.

Toyota is trying to find the best diesel to use for their up and coming models, I guess they chose Cummings. My question is, what was wrong with the diesel from the hilux and how does it compare with the Cummings? The hilux is still widely used in Europe with legendary performance. Its smaller, less expensive, lightweight with great potential. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
When did Toyota commit to a diesel Tacoma?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
I want to see a D4D in a tacoma for 2016 that would be outstanding
Old 10-23-2014, 04:23 AM   #5
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
When did Toyota commit to a diesel Tacoma?
the 2016 tundra is going to have an option for diesel, they are also thinking of putting one in a tacoma but not sure when.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
I want to see a D4D in a tacoma for 2016 that would be outstanding
yeah a D4D would be awesome.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #7
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Needs diesel / electric hybrid
is that what they are going for?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
Toyota is trying to find the best diesel to use for their up and coming models, I guess they chose Cummings. My question is, what was wrong with the diesel from the hilux and how does it compare with the Cummings? The hilux is still widely used in Europe with legendary performance. Its smaller, less expensive, lightweight with great potential. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Nothing wrong with a Cummins diesel engine as some have hit the million mile marker.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Large;9345538]Nothing wrong with a Cummins diesel engine as some have hit the million mile marker.[/QUOTE

Im not saying there is anything wrong with Cummins, I think its a great motor that will last a very long time. Im simply asking, if anybody might know, why doesn't Toyota stick with the current 2KD-FTV that is made by Toyota. The engine being a in house manufacturing should cut cost down instead of paying for the cummins name and contract. Either way im glad they are planning on going back to diesel, its they way a truck should be.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Emissions and regulations
Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like MonsterComa said. It is the cost of the testing to "meet" US standards for the new engine. Whereas if they use an engine that us already in the US market, they don't have to have that expenditure.

Nissan is doing the same for the Frontier and Titan. Two variants othe same Cummins.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Toyko Joe is on a distinguished road

Toyko Joe's Tacoma Gallery
I was just having this conversation with a sales person regarding the Cummins engine in the Tundra. Given their duty rating of 100% I could see them stealing all of Dodge/Ram's HD business. IMO

PS its Cummins NOT Cummings.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
is that what they are going for?
That's what OZ is going for ... with heated mirrors of course.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyko Joe View Post
I was just having this conversation with a sales person regarding the Cummins engine in the Tundra. Given their duty rating of 100% I could see them stealing all of Dodge/Ram's HD business. IMO

PS its Cummins NOT Cummings.
Thx for the correction, I realized this a little to late.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You keep saying that, but for a road-going vehicle, I'm not sure it'd be feasible. They work for trains because they don't sit in traffic and can keep the engines running at optimum RPM. They're also running for peak power because they're loaded so they efficient given the loads they're moving. For a passenger vehicle, I'm not convinced they'd be all that great.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Like MonsterComa said. It is the cost of the testing to "meet" US standards for the new engine. Whereas if they use an engine that us already in the US market, they don't have to have that expenditure.

Nissan is doing the same for the Frontier and Titan. Two variants othe same Cummins.
yeah i look forward to reading more about the 2.8L concept, i hope something like that will find its way into a tacoma.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
braaAAAP
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning. I can't wait til there's a diesel tacoma option.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You keep saying that, but for a road-going vehicle, I'm not sure it'd be feasible. They work for trains because they don't sit in traffic and can keep the engines running at optimum RPM. They're also running for peak power because they're loaded so they efficient given the loads they're moving. For a passenger vehicle, I'm not convinced they'd be all that great.
John Deere has a diesel electric hybrid loader that runs the engine at a constant rpm solely to charge the batteries for the independent wheel motors. Something along this path could work for a truck.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

Not sure how you figure it would be any different than a gas / electric hybrid

Runs on battery when it can , charges battery / runs on the combustion engine when it needs to

There are already diesel / electric passenger vehicles and Hino uses diesel / electric hybrid power on their newer delivery cube trucks