1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD MAF Cal worth it if your truck is completely stock?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Logan22, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Nov 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    Logan22

Logan22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Tonneau Cover, Tube Steps, Kenwood Excelon KDC X895, Boston Acoustics Speakers, 12 Shallow Mount Rockford Fosgate punch p3s sub, Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 watt amp 18 in. xd spy's 285 60 18 terra grapplers
    Is the URD MAF calibrator worth it if your truck is completely stock with a flow masters single in dual out muffler? Would I notice a difference in power...and how much of a difference would it make if I bought a CAI or AFE replacement filter with the calibrator compared to stock intake?

I have been reading about these and from what I understand they only work during open loop or only when floored basically. If I am correct does that mean you would not notice more power during daily driving...as in you'd only notice power difference when in wide open throttle and that's it?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Nov 20, 2014 at 5:15 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    For the most part yes, but the MAF Cali can also help correct MAF sensor error that will cause the sesnor and the AF sensor to get into a tuning loop. E.g., MAF sensor reads high, injector sqirts a bit too much fuel, AF sensor sees it, cuts injector some, ECU sets the short term fuel trims back some. This can cause some mpg affects, and some very small perf affects. Induced MAF sensor eror is the term and it usually only affects some aftermarket CAIs.

I have the URD CAI and the MAF Cali. I ran the URD CAI for about 8 months by itself. A reasonable mod by itself. I added the MAF Cali after that, and I get a decent kick when it goes into open loop. Personally I like the two together.

3. Nov 20, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Dooooit

4. Nov 20, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    It also does some closed loop tuning as well. You can lean it out a good bit to get it i nt the proper AFR for N/A power. Will save you gas while flogging on it and increase your power, due to not drowning in fuel.

Like he said, ^^^ Do it. Contact URD, and they should have a base map ready for your stock setup.

5. Nov 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    yes most of the gains will be for open loop when it's just dumping gas... You can also tune for when you add an intake and/or exhaust so will see much better results...

6. Nov 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    Logan22

Logan22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Tonneau Cover, Tube Steps, Kenwood Excelon KDC X895, Boston Acoustics Speakers, 12 Shallow Mount Rockford Fosgate punch p3s sub, Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 watt amp 18 in. xd spy's 285 60 18 terra grapplers
    Thanks for the replies. So would a AFE filter that would replace the stock filter help at all with the calibrator or would you need the whole intake to tell a difference? Also does my flowmaster muffler help out at all?

7. Nov 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Honestly, the stock intake is the weak point not the filter.
    Its been shown that even with zero filter in, and the carbon trap removed, there's zero gain.

Go with the afe stage 2si, or the urd intake.

Products Discussed in

To Top