Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Found cause of lost compression, need machine shop recommendations

Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Scrotie McBoogerballs
armyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rough

armyoffoo's Tacoma Gallery
Found cause of lost compression, need machine shop recommendations

So, my truck starting idling rough and running rough after a "spirited" drive home and after some digging found that it was losing compression in Cyl #4.

Adding oil to the cylinder and repeating the compression test did not help

So I pulled the engine out hoping it would be a head gasket

Heads looked great and no issues with the head gasket, so I tested the valve seats by turning the head upside down and pouring kerosene in the head over the valves...they held liquid for over 2 hours

Next, I pulled the #4 piston and found an issue, the gaps for all the rings were almost lined up...upon further examination, the ring lands were cracked and I was able to pick the pieces of the piston out between the rings...

The block is scored, but I can't feel it with my finger nail, got really lucky I think and caught it quick but I need to take it to a machine shop to have it looked at.

Does anyone have any suggestions of shops in the Houston area that have experience with the 1GR? Torspd? Anyone? HALP!!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
<---this guy
jmaack is on a distinguished road
jmaack's Tacoma Gallery
2 years old and pulled engine already?!

How many miles?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaack View Post
2 years old and pulled engine already?!

How many miles?
That's my thought too. WTF?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Scrotie McBoogerballs
armyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Do not order the Clevite thrust bearings. They don't fit properly. Use the OEM thrust bearings.

Ask for Omar at Joe Meyer's Toyota, on Eldridge and 290, in the parts department. He's been there through plenty of my engine builds and parts orders.
Sweet, thanks for the heads up on the bearings. I will give Omar a shout, I deal with that dealership all the time since I'm out in Cypress.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Are you not covered under powertrain warranty?
Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyoffoo View Post
Probably not, I installed my own supercharger last May and a smaller pulley for more boost, on top of every bolt-on available. I do my own upgrades and repairs regardless...have heard too many horror stories about Toyota techs screwing up an oil change, let alone engine work, I wouldn't trust them with my baby.

Seems like you're in good hands. Good to see that the problem isn't too bad
Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone want my blower? I have a sudden urge to sell my truck.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
Just passin' through..
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Is she brunette?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Is she brunette?
No silly. My favorite color...red.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
There are plenty of Toyota techs that do great work out there. Just like there are plenty of aftermarket shops with techs that would ruin your engine. The key is getting word-of-mouth advertizing on a quality tech. As Torspd had done for you. But I still wouldn't rule out Toyota just because you have heard some bad words on them. Of course it is too late now that you have pulled it out! lol.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
Scrotie McBoogerballs

Quote:
Good deal. Are you having them hone that one cylinder only, or all of them?

I finally finished disassembly of my stroker engine last night. Going to be taking that in soon, too.
They did all 6, I got the call this afternoon that it was ready for pick up. There was only one real scratch in the cylinder that the piston came apart in, but it's all cleaned up now. Why are you taking your stroker in?

Quote:
Just realized that you had to take your wheels off to pull the engine. I remember those days.
Yeah, even with the wheels off and the jackstands at the lowest level I still had to swing the motor over the front of the fender to remove it from the side. There's not enough room in these new garages, if I had a 6ft bed I wouldn't fit.