1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Code 0420

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by jmm123, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Dec 12, 2014 at 4:05 AM
    jmm123

jmm123 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    02 Extended Cab
    I have an 02 with a 2.4L - engine light is on and the error code is 0420 - cat efficiency. I have 2 cats on this and was wondering if there is any way to diagnose if its the front, back, or both. I don't have a lot to sink into the truck right now - emissions test coming up soon too. Thanks.

2. Dec 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    P0420 Toyota - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

So if you can determine which side bank 1 is on your truck, I am assuming driver's side you can look underneath the truck and find the O2 sensor. The catalytic convertor just upstream of your sensor is the problem. Take into account that the sensor itself could be the problem.

3. Dec 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    Vanguard

Vanguard No can remember!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Extended C/O's non resi, OME 60091/Dakar Leaf Pack, All Pro U-bolt Flip, Timberens, 17" SR8's, 285/70/17 Duratracs, AFE Stage II Intake, Magnaflow Cat back w/Resonator, BHLM, Grillcraft, 15/5 Tint, All-Pro HD Sliders @10 degr, OEM Roof Racks, TRD Skid Plate, Wet Okole's, Scan guage II, Optima Yellow
    just cause toyota put a 0 in front of it doesn't change what that code means...
    Code 0420 = :rasta:

4. Dec 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    :laugh:
    :stayontopic:

5. Dec 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    When that code sets you can do some diagnostics to see if it is really a bad cat or something else, but with your mileage I will bet your cats are done.

You are outside of the Federal warranty on cats at 8 years or 80,000 miles so,,,,

You will need to replace your cats. Don't be fooled to think that aftermarket cats are going to be good enough. I get calls all the time from people that installed "approved" aftermarket cats and still get the P-0420 code on Toyota trucks.

Now, if you are going to use this as an off road only or racing vehicle and never register it or use it on the highways, you can keep that check engine light off with the URD Rear O2 Simulator.

G

Products Discussed in

To Top