1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma 07 2.7L Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Soul, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Oct 25, 2007 at 2:32 PM
    Soul

Soul [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    I'm looking at a Cold Air In take for my 4-banger. I saw a AFE one that's stage 2 is going for about 230$!

I notice more brand like airaid , K & N , & Aolant. It's a matter of performance or does brand really matter? I heard AFE is a really reliable brand :].

2. Oct 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    AFE makes the TRD CAI for toyota, and that one still uses the stock fender well snorkel and a plastic tube. A lot of the others seem to suck hot air from inside the engine bay and use metal tubes. (metal transfers more heat than plastic)

That said I am not sure which CAI you are looking at, and I do not know if the TRD/AFE intake that I am talking about will work on the 2.7L as I've only seen it on the 4.0L.

Also whatever you choose I would make sure it has a dry type filter with it or that you get a dry type filter for it, ase it seems to me that many people are having a problem with the oiled gause type letting a residue through and coating the MAF sensor.

3. Oct 25, 2007 at 5:48 PM
    Soul

Soul [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
  4. Oct 25, 2007 at 5:57 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    From the zoom picture it does not look like it completely seals to the snorkel, just looks like it sits close to the opening and it looks like a metal tube not plastic, but the specs don't confirm either assumption I am making from the picture.

Honestly I don't think the stock air box is that restrictive. My opinion would be to stick with your secondary filter removal and add a drop in afe pro-dry s type filter, and call it done.

That is just my opinion though, your mileage may vary.

5. Oct 25, 2007 at 6:06 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    I just bought a K&N online for $213. With shipping it was $238. Put it in myself with a friend yesterday, and wow that thing is amazing. I can't rave enough about it. However I have a 4.0L DCab, but man that thing is a beast.

Products Discussed in

To Top