1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre cleaner for snorkel

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by hard2kill, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Jan 3, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    I'm looking to get a pre cleaner for my safari snorkel ... I am seeing all different opinions on this some say the 7in one is best some say it doesn't allow enough air in
    Others say they can't be used at high speeds (80mph)
    Some say the 10in hits roof/door
    Some are saying they only find. 3in inlet and the Fj/Tacoma/runner 4.0l snorkel has a 3.5in inlet ...

Does anyone have actual experience with a pre cleaner on a 4.0l motor.????
    I don't want to restrict airflow and hurt it and I want a simple on off design...

Any experienced input would be awesome thank you

2. Jan 6, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    inlet sizes will depend on which snorkel....

safari=3"
    airflow=3.75" (need adapter)

safari you can run 7" or 10" bowls
    airflow is limited to the 10" due to the 3.75" inlet restriction (need adapter to match snorkel)

http://cruiseroutfitters.com/safarisnorkel.html
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]7" Pre-cleaner with 3" Inlet - $64.50[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Part# ARB PBH000237[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]10" Pre-cleaner with 3" Inlet- $113.50[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Part# ARB PBH000253[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]10" Pre-cleaner with 3.75" Inlet- $124.50[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Part# ARB PBH000254[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Pre-cleaner Adapter 3.5" to 3.75" Inlet- $12.50[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Part# ARB PBH024256[/SIZE][/FONT]

3. Jan 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    i've had the 10" for a while now with no issues (besides a recent disappearance of the precleaner) ...great for heavy snow fall and dusty conditions

n0rth has even run his precleaner on his 2.7L S/C'd

4. Jan 6, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    Do you think the 7in bowl will allow enough airflow into snorkel? I was told I need to run a 10in but Id rather run a 7in on my safari snorkel? I don't see how bowl size could affect air flow since its getting sucked up at the snorkel tube either way? I'm doing a maine overland comp in June and its dusty as all hell..

5. Jan 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    https://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/073668.pdf

max airflow:

7" = 170CFM
    10"x3" = 320CFM
    10"x3.75"= 330CFM

larger the bowl the larger the opening below the bowl where the air can come in...

whether or not 170CFM is adequate? not sure....but i think for our engines, you'd be fine...if you had a S/C i'd not mess around and get the larger...

6. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
  7. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
  8. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
  9. Jan 22, 2015 at 10:52 AM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    I love the search button! I wasn't sure if anyone asked this before... had the same question.

Thanks guys I'll be getting the 10"x3"...

10. Mar 8, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    Wolftaco

Wolftaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Overland Build
    Old Man Emu, Leer 100cc, Blacked Out Billet Grill, ARB Bumber, Warn M8000-s winch with under hood solenoid relocation, Stubbs HD Standard Sliders, diff breather
    I am running the Donaldson Topspin H002437 self ejecting type precleaner.. It's the smaller model with a 3.03 ID. It fits just fine on a safari snorkel tube using a spectre coupler. Connects/Disconnects super quick using same hose clamp as the safari hood. This model is rated for 90-200cfm. According to Donaldson, these are conservative cfm ratings. Based on some calcs, I figured it would be perfect for my application. It will def spin while idling, and spinning good during normal cruisinng wheeling rpms. Sure, it might be a little restrictive at higher redline rpms, but I don't care since I don't run with it full time. I run the safari hood ram air 95% of the time, the topnspin is along for the ride just I case I need it! IMO this model covers the range of normal operating rpm better than the next size up. This thing works awesome at separating dirt, and I have not noticed a lack of power or any sign of restriction with it.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/000207.pdf

BTW -Hard2Kill How did I know I'd find ur build here, looks great! Hope I can see it in person MOTL, fingers crossed!

image.jpg

Camel51 likes this.
  11. Mar 9, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    Hey buddy thanks for the reply... I'm not on here very often anymore lol.. But I jc heck in now and again

Products Discussed in

To Top