Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Magnaflow 15315 Catback Exhaust install on '13 2wd DCSB TRD Sport

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
MadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
MadDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflow 15315 Catback Exhaust install on '13 2wd DCSB TRD Sport

I was snooping the late-night internet and stumbled across a significant price change on Amazon for the single outlet Magnaflow cat back system. I bit the bullet at $380. These are normally $653 online.
I'd originally considered Magnaflow but Flowmaster was closer to my price range. The Flowmaster catback dual kit was $550 but I recently found one for $420.

There are 4 left in stock so go grab one if you need one:

http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-1531...gnaflow+tacoma

Removal:
1) Spray all the rubber hangers with PB Blaster. Let 'em drip a bit & soak.
2) Moved the truck to warm, sunny spot. Lay down tarp & some cardboard so as not to ding up anything during removal. (flat, dry surface, parking brake ON)
3) Remove spare tire (you'll need the room when snaking the stock pipe around)
4) Grab 15mm socket, loosen spring bolts.
5) Loosen rear hanger. Just work it a bit, it will come loose. Do the same for the most forward hanger. Slide under truck, parallel to stock exhaust, place legs on rear hangers, grab pipe and basically hump it until the hangers slip out of the rubber bits.
6) Snake it all out towards the front of the truck. This is where you need the tarp/cardboard whatever to keep from scratching stuff up. Probably a good idea to tape some cardboard or bubble rap over stock tip if it's polished.

Installation:
1) Connect new straight pipe with stock bolts.
2) Hit all those rubber suckers with more PB Blaster.
3) attach muffler, don't clamp down.
4) attach rear piece (be sure to leave protective wrapping on tip until finished).
5) Hit all the hangers with some lube and slip them into the rubber bits.
6) Tighten everything up. Double check all the hangers. Put spare back on.
7) Fire up truck, crawl under and feel for leaks. Turn off and make adjustments.
*8) If you do have leaks and do not intend to weld the exhaust, I advise you go to local auto parts store and grab some Tiger Patch ($4). Put one or two loops of that on each end of the muffler before clamping down pipes.

Bye Felisha:

Now, for the sound:
Well.... it sounds like my late-Granddad's '91 S-10 Blazer after backing a boat into saltwater about 100 times. I've just only installed it and I understand there's a 700-800 mile break-in period on these mufflers. Initial crank it drones for a few seconds before settling down. The only drone is at 1100 rpm under substantial throttle. It's nice and quiet on the highway and while idling. My wife & kiddo didn't even notice it until I told them I'd done the swap. I took a video right after install. I'll do another one after 1000 miles to compare.

The main thing I've noticed since swapping intake and exhaust is the idle speed at cold start. The truck originally was up around 1300rpm at idle. After the Volant CAI, idle dropped to 1100rpm. After the Magnaflow install, idle is around 750-800rpm. Once the truck is suitably warmed up, idle is around 500rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...&v=Mei9dg9Wg3Y
Old 01-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
MadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant future

Video #2, different angle, same distance, some driving around with interior sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9k9tZBeJq0
Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Jayne is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Jayne's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
TRDLOL is on a distinguished road

Name: Cy
TRDLOL's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered one and can't wait to get it. Thanks again for the find!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

Three days in and I can hear the note changing after 90 miles. It no longer sounds like my grandfather's s-10 Blazer. The note has lowered and now it sounds like a NASCAR stock car when they drop a cylinder and are about 15 laps from grenading the engine. I'm not knocking the kit as it's just starting to cure. I must be forgiven too because I've always driven V8's or motorcycles before this truck. I'm getting used to the new sound. All this said, I like it. In spite of the 50 degree weather, I've been riding around with my windows down so I can hear the note changing.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
cmbondo is on a distinguished road
Navy: Retired
cmbondo's Tacoma Gallery
Good find 'cause it's already back up to $575!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDLOL View Post
I ordered one and can't wait to get it. Thanks again for the find!
Great! I look forward to hearing your feedback. It was an enjoyably quick and painless install. Be sure to get some of that Tiger wrap for the slip joints to avoid leaks if you're not welding the muffler.

Here's the way to wrap it up (lol) if you're not welding:

Pretend, imagine (or even practice) by slipping two drink straw ends into each other. Blow water through. Some will leak at joint. Wrap tape across the joints like a bandaid on a finger. This will seal the joint and keep from leaking.

Easy fix with this stuff called Tiger wrap. It's maybe $4 at the auto parts store. Once you have everything in its final position, cut a strip of Tiger wrap long enough to go around the pipe once and an additional inch or two for over wrap. Don't do any more than this. You want the clamp to fit over this wrapping. After wrapping, squeeze it tightly to bond with the pipe. Clamp everything down and drive for 20 minutes. The heat will bond the wrap to the joint and seal it up

Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #8
TRDLOL is on a distinguished road

Name: Cy
TRDLOL's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to do it.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Alright, 1000 miles later. Should be all broken in now:

http://youtu.be/8vOcwXN73Z8

Products Discussed in this Thread