1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grandpa-Gearhead 1-10 Driver Rating System for mpg reporting

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TacoGlenn, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jan 29, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn [OP] Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    :D Several TW threads have “what's your mpg” for each Tacoma configuration; and often driving habits are cited as the number one factor affecting mpg performance. The problem is lack of a driving habit standard scale, so I've developed one. This number rating system can be noted when reporting mpg. At this stage in my life I'd say I'm usually a #5-6.

Grandpa-Gearhead 1-10 Driver Rating System for mpg reporting

1. Dead, doesn't drive.
    2. Employs extremely sluggish acceleration; begins braking ¼ mile ahead of stoplights or stop signs; never exceeds 10 mph below posted speed limit; often passed by bicyclists and mopeds; rarely wears out a set of tires.:turtleride:
    3. Employs sluggish acceleration; begins braking one whole block ahead of stoplights or stop signs; often passed by church buses and fully-laden dump trucks; stays at least 5-10 mph below posted speed limit.
    4. Employs moderate acceleration; always observes stoplight patterns and adjusts accordingly; always stays at 5 mph below posted speed limit.
    5. Employs moderate acceleration; often observes stoplight patterns and adjusts accordingly; usually stays within 5 mph of posted speed limit.
    6. Employs moderate acceleration; sometimes observes stoplight patterns and may adjust accordingly; stays within 5-10 mph above posted speed limit.
    7. Employs moderate-aggressive acceleration; rarely observes stoplight patterns and may adjust accordingly; usually 5-10 mph above posted speed limit.
    8. Employs aggressive acceleration; ignores stoplight patterns; usually 10+ mph above posted speed limit.
    9. Employs very aggressive acceleration; ignores stoplight patterns; usually 15+ mph above posted speed limit; sometimes leaves skids marks at stops.
    10. Beelzebub-sanctioned holeshots at every start :devil:; purposely approaches max rpm between stoplights/stop signs- feels observation of traffic light patterns are about as useless as a peephole in a nursing home; completely oblivious to posted speed limits; leaves skid marks at every stop- personally keeps local tire center in the black and busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest; seriously contemplating a drag chute mod. :burnrubber:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Biscuits and Spare Parts like this.
  2. Jan 29, 2015 at 3:16 PM
    andlours

andlours Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    Haha I love this. I'm definitely a 6 as well.

3. Jan 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    theallpowerfuljon

theallpowerfuljon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 15 T4R Limited
    7-8 depending on music and mood while alone.
    6 with my baby girl and/or wife.

I'm consistently 17mpg.

4. Jan 30, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I like it. It will make some folks think a little. Although the speed to speed limit consideration isn't quite as impactful as most folks think, unless you are excessive. RPM would be a closer consideration. (and it's 'braking', not 'breaking'. I hope)

I'm more of a 5, because I presume your 'within 5' can be on either side of the limit.

The 'modern' EPA estimates are pretty accurate stuff.

If your MPG varies more than a 2-3 over several tanks (up or down) you may want to evaluate what's happening.

I do keep records of every drop of fuel, always fill up, with a note if something was 'unique' during that tank. In Excel.

I do annual and lifetime averages.

Making this effort will show you how the vehicle responds to conditions, loads, speeds, etc etc. It is also a great indicator of the state of tune of things, as in you should notice if there is a significant drop off due to a problem.

When you've run a vehicle for 10 years, since new, it's nice to see the stable results. I even tracked my 12 years of my street driven autox car, and the new owner has continued that tradition. Some of my best MPG came on a tank that included a day of racing. :D

Thing is many folks never actually calculate a true MPG (more of a MPT from what I see) and rarely do they do that over a series of fill ups, which gives a nice average and will smooth out small variables like slight over/under fills.

Truth is, it doesn't matter what 'everyone else gets'. Because you don't know the conditions for everyone else. So, keep track of your own and compare it to the EPA standard.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Jan 30, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn [OP] Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    HaHa! thanks for the catch, corrected.

6. Jan 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    #6, easing into a #5 pattern of driving. Call me a 5.5- and I get about 17 around town. My speedo is about 4mph higher than actual speed according to those radar speed limit signs. So, I do 10 mph higher on the highways (making me only 6mph over the limits) and I do about 5mph above posted regular road limits. Schools and such, I'm on target- again, according to the speedo so I'm probably a little lower in reality.

7. Jan 30, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Im between 5-8 mostly 7-8. Accelerate aggressive, maintain at least 5 over speed limit, try to time light cycles, mixed with 60 mile trips on the freeway. Stock size tires, consistently between 18.5 and 19 mpgs year round.

8. Jan 30, 2015 at 7:46 PM
    MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pork Rind Extraordinaire

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied
    Haha! I'm totally a 4.

9. May 9, 2018 at 12:20 AM
    Xzyk

Xzyk (bochok)

Member:
    First Name:
    Tiano
    Palm Springs, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma AC 4x4 M/T 2.7L
    Access LE, Pop&Lock, Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX
    I can't quite fit my style to any of the numbers.
    • My RPM during acceleration does not go over 1,400
    • On a speed limit of 70, I go 55
    • I follow speed limits less than 55 or at 55
    • Approaches to stop lights/signs depend on situation while always trying to brake as light as possible
    MPG: Steady 22-24

10. Jun 28, 2018 at 9:01 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Probably between a 7 and 9 most days, 5 when I have my 5 year old with me.
    Around here it's not unusual for flow of traffic on the interstate to be 20+ over posted, when I'm working I'm constantly accelerating/braking, brakes typically last 3 months or less.

Products Discussed in

To Top