Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Grandpa-Gearhead 1-10 Driver Rating System for mpg reporting

Old 01-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!
TacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoGlenn's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Grandpa-Gearhead 1-10 Driver Rating System for mpg reporting

Several TW threads have “what's your mpg” for each Tacoma configuration; and often driving habits are cited as the number one factor affecting mpg performance. The problem is lack of a driving habit standard scale, so I've developed one. This number rating system can be noted when reporting mpg. At this stage in my life I'd say I'm usually a #5-6.

Grandpa-Gearhead 1-10 Driver Rating System for mpg reporting

1. Dead, doesn't drive.
2. Employs extremely sluggish acceleration; begins braking ¼ mile ahead of stoplights or stop signs; never exceeds 10 mph below posted speed limit; often passed by bicyclists and mopeds; rarely wears out a set of tires.
3. Employs sluggish acceleration; begins braking one whole block ahead of stoplights or stop signs; often passed by church buses and fully-laden dump trucks; stays at least 5-10 mph below posted speed limit.
4. Employs moderate acceleration; always observes stoplight patterns and adjusts accordingly; always stays at 5 mph below posted speed limit.
5. Employs moderate acceleration; often observes stoplight patterns and adjusts accordingly; usually stays within 5 mph of posted speed limit.
6. Employs moderate acceleration; sometimes observes stoplight patterns and may adjust accordingly; stays within 5-10 mph above posted speed limit.
7. Employs moderate-aggressive acceleration; rarely observes stoplight patterns and may adjust accordingly; usually 5-10 mph above posted speed limit.
8. Employs aggressive acceleration; ignores stoplight patterns; usually 10+ mph above posted speed limit.
9. Employs very aggressive acceleration; ignores stoplight patterns; usually 15+ mph above posted speed limit; sometimes leaves skids marks at stops.
10. Beelzebub-sanctioned holeshots at every start ; purposely approaches max rpm between stoplights/stop signs- feels observation of traffic light patterns are about as useless as a peephole in a nursing home; completely oblivious to posted speed limits; leaves skid marks at every stop- personally keeps local tire center in the black and busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest; seriously contemplating a drag chute mod.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
andlours is a splendid one to beholdandlours is a splendid one to beholdandlours is a splendid one to beholdandlours is a splendid one to beholdandlours is a splendid one to beholdandlours is a splendid one to beholdandlours is a splendid one to behold

Name: Andy
andlours's Tacoma Gallery
Haha I love this. I'm definitely a 6 as well.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
theallpowerfuljon is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
theallpowerfuljon's Tacoma Gallery
7-8 depending on music and mood while alone.
6 with my baby girl and/or wife.

I'm consistently 17mpg.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
I like it. It will make some folks think a little. Although the speed to speed limit consideration isn't quite as impactful as most folks think, unless you are excessive. RPM would be a closer consideration. (and it's 'braking', not 'breaking'. I hope)

I'm more of a 5, because I presume your 'within 5' can be on either side of the limit.

The 'modern' EPA estimates are pretty accurate stuff.

If your MPG varies more than a 2-3 over several tanks (up or down) you may want to evaluate what's happening.

I do keep records of every drop of fuel, always fill up, with a note if something was 'unique' during that tank. In Excel.

I do annual and lifetime averages.

Making this effort will show you how the vehicle responds to conditions, loads, speeds, etc etc. It is also a great indicator of the state of tune of things, as in you should notice if there is a significant drop off due to a problem.

When you've run a vehicle for 10 years, since new, it's nice to see the stable results. I even tracked my 12 years of my street driven autox car, and the new owner has continued that tradition. Some of my best MPG came on a tank that included a day of racing.

Thing is many folks never actually calculate a true MPG (more of a MPT from what I see) and rarely do they do that over a series of fill ups, which gives a nice average and will smooth out small variables like slight over/under fills.

Truth is, it doesn't matter what 'everyone else gets'. Because you don't know the conditions for everyone else. So, keep track of your own and compare it to the EPA standard.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!
TacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoGlenn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater Bill View Post
I like it. It will make some folks think a little. Although the speed to speed limit consideration isn't quite as impactful as most folks think, unless you are excessive. RPM would be a closer consideration. (and it's 'braking', not 'breaking'. I hope)

I'm more of a 5, because I presume your 'within 5' can be on either side of the limit.

The 'modern' EPA estimates are pretty accurate stuff.

If your MPG varies more than a 2-3 over several tanks (up or down) you may want to evaluate what's happening.

I do keep records of every drop of fuel, always fill up, with a note if something was 'unique' during that tank. In Excel.

I do annual and lifetime averages.

Making this effort will show you how the vehicle responds to conditions, loads, speeds, etc etc. It is also a great indicator of the state of tune of things, as in you should notice if there is a significant drop off due to a problem.

When you've run a vehicle for 10 years, since new, it's nice to see the stable results. I even tracked my 12 years of my street driven autox car, and the new owner has continued that tradition. Some of my best MPG came on a tank that included a day of racing.

Thing is many folks never actually calculate a true MPG (more of a MPT from what I see) and rarely do they do that over a series of fill ups, which gives a nice average and will smooth out small variables like slight over/under fills.

Truth is, it doesn't matter what 'everyone else gets'. Because you don't know the conditions for everyone else. So, keep track of your own and compare it to the EPA standard.
HaHa! thanks for the catch, corrected.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
If only it would snow here in Mass...
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
#6, easing into a #5 pattern of driving. Call me a 5.5- and I get about 17 around town. My speedo is about 4mph higher than actual speed according to those radar speed limit signs. So, I do 10 mph higher on the highways (making me only 6mph over the limits) and I do about 5mph above posted regular road limits. Schools and such, I'm on target- again, according to the speedo so I'm probably a little lower in reality.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Im between 5-8 mostly 7-8. Accelerate aggressive, maintain at least 5 over speed limit, try to time light cycles, mixed with 60 mile trips on the freeway. Stock size tires, consistently between 18.5 and 19 mpgs year round.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
MadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant futureMadDaddy has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
MadDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Haha! I'm totally a 4.