Notices

built up 4.0l

Old 02-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
NoPo Taco
zkdawg is on a distinguished road
Name: zach
zkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Question built up 4.0l

I was wondering if any one has built( after market ) there 4.0l v6 and if so, what did u do ( in detail ).
I was just pondering the idea instead of a s/c.
Is there a better power to price ratio compared between them?
I searched for this stuff on here with no luck and that's the reason for this post.
Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone interested.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by built? If you go with internals you are going to spend a lot more than the cost of a supercharger.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Forced induction is the only way to get noticeable gains man.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
NoPo Taco
zkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
So, if I was to bore out the motor and get digger pistons then there won't be much diff?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Banned
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Your Mom
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Tor's and Cliff's thread will give you all the info you need. Cliff just sold his long block stroker not too long ago. Believe he stroked out to 4.7 or 4.8.... Stroked motor with s/c would be nice. But at the price point to build its cheaper to go LS3 or LSX....
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdawg View Post
So, if I was to bore out the motor and get digger pistons then there won't be much diff?
Sure but it would probably in the $10K range for all that. XRU has more people into serious engine mods for the 4.0. Most people on this site just have intakes and very few such as myself have forced induction.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Banned
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Your Mom
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
I think long block was somewhere in the 5 to 6k range for Cliff, tor is on a playing field all to himself with the amount of money he has in his motor.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd guess that if you have to ask this question (because you aren't familiar with the engineering/calculations required; lots of on line calculators are available), you don't need to undertake the project.

Not being mean here, just seen it too many times before, across all marquees.

Even if you figure it out, be sure to do a $/hp calculation as well. You will likely find that a full transplant of something with more grunt and more aftermarket support would be much more feasible.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #11
It wasn't a rock...

Crower stroker kit: $5557

Darton sleeves: $1319

SuperTech intake valves: $19 x 24

SuperTech exhaust valves: $20 X 24

SuperTech titanium retainers and SS valve springs: $550

Don't forget bearings, hardware, machine work, engine building labor and other miscellaneous items.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #12
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Tor's and Cliff's thread will give you all the info you need. Cliff just sold his long block stroker not too long ago. Believe he stroked out to 4.7 or 4.8.... Stroked motor with s/c would be nice. But at the price point to build its cheaper to go LS3 or LSX....
His is a 4.3L.

Poor tuning methods did his blew his head gasket. Good thing though, with all of that built hardware in there, it is easily rebuild-able.

There have been others to buy built engines from URD and LC Engineering. Those are all running strong, as long as they have been properly tuned.

I have only one component in mine that others in the States don't have. Nothing to special, except that they are almost harder to find than a unicorn. My custom Kelford Cams.

If you are going to get an engine built, either send yours in, or have them do all of the sourcing and work for you. It will save you loads of headache.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
NoPo Taco
zkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Thx for all the info guys.
I'm not saying I am going for it, just curious as to what it would cost.
I have a guy In my area that has bored out some stuff and decked some stuff before and he is cheap so I was thinking of maybe some pistons and a cam.
Probably nothing more.
Just a thought.
Thanks though
Old 02-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Only one place sells completely new cams. Another uses your stock cams. Both are about the same price. ~$1400.
I don't recommend the cams,unless you thoroughly discuss them with a company like LC Engineering. Due to the technical nature of it with the VVT-I. Otherwise you could end up with pistons pistons valve damage.

You can get one set through LC Engineering.

If you're changing pistons, do the rods too.

Molnar rods are the cheapest cost wise. On up to CP Carrillo. www.Dezod.com carries both.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #15
11 Tacoma is on a distinguished road
11 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was wondering if any one has built( after market ) there 4.0l v6 and if so, what did u do ( in detail ).
I was just pondering the idea instead of a s/c.
Is there a better power to price ratio compared between them?
I searched for this stuff on here with no luck and that's the reason for this post.
Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone interested.
For the price ratio to power I don't think you can beat a SC. Although I don't understand why you would SC a tacoma. Put a SC on a tacoma and you get 60 HP?? Put a SC on a sports car and you get 200hp
Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
NfiniteZERO is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police, 116 CBCT, IDARNG
Name: Matthew
NfiniteZERO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 Tacoma View Post
For the price ratio to power I don't think you can beat a SC. Although I don't understand why you would SC a tacoma. Put a SC on a tacoma and you get 60 HP?? Put a SC on a sports car and you get 200hp
Depends on the SC, tune, and any supporting mods. TRD's Roots blower was designed to be run on the factory engine block with only a ECU reflash and to be reliable enough to stick a warranty on it.

URD's Rotrex makes a lot more power and is a better built, more reliable kit. Especially if you add the supporting mods. Gadget's truck (Gadget@URD) was just dyno'd at 539HP and 441 ft/lb of torque on 93 ocatane. His 1GR is built, sleeved, and stroked.

I'm going with the URD kit in due time.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 Tacoma View Post
Efficiency. TRD is solid, good, and easy. No TRD kit ever puts out high numbers. Rotrex or turbo kit will gain you exactly that at ~ 8psi, to the wheels. Going past that safely and reliably, and internals are strongly recommended.