1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed supercharger low boost?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Hp4Play, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Mar 28, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    Hp4Play

Hp4Play [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
    Ok so I bought my supercharger used. I purchased the check valve from trd and have it blowing air into the motor is that the correct way to have it flow? It didn't have the black line. So it's all installed lines are as they should be on the diagram. How ever it's seems to be only boosting in first gear and not very much. All other gears feel stock. I'm pretty sure there is a vaccum leak but maybe I'm missing something so I'm reaching out to you guys for a little help. Anyone ever have this issue with a manual trans Tacoma? If so maybe you could give some pointers? Thanks for your help.

2. Mar 28, 2015 at 8:08 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Which s/c do you have?

Edit. Never mind. Saw which year model yours is. How much psi is it showing on the gauge?

3. Mar 28, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    Hp4Play

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
    I don't have a gauge yet still hasn't come in the mail. So unfortunately I don't know the pressure. I do know it doesn't start to whine until about 4k rpms. It feels like only 1st gear has boost. I'm gonna try to disconnect the bypass and see if that helps. It also feels like the pedal has quite a bit of play before it pulls the throttle body open so maybe I need to play with that a little?

4. Mar 28, 2015 at 8:39 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Make certain that the s/c belt has plenty of tension on it as well. It is known to slip and cause erratic or low boost.

5. Mar 28, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    Hp4Play

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
    Ok I fixed the play in the pedal seemed to help but still kinda wimpy outside of first gear. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be? Belt has plenty of tension. I don't think I can make it any tighter. Is there a spec for belt play?

6. Mar 28, 2015 at 9:28 PM
    Hp4Play

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
    I also put the bigger injectors on it and the cooler plugs. so maybe it's just feels like this because it normal. I'll have to wait for the gauge to see what it's actually pushing out.

7. Apr 1, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Just an fyi, playing the boost levels and a/f mixtures when you can't monitor them has blown up more than 1 engine.

8. Apr 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    You put on bigger injectors? Wut? I assume you mean the injectors that came with the TRD s/c kit along with the factory tune for the ECU, right?

9. Apr 15, 2015 at 8:26 PM
    Hp4Play

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
    its the 3.4 s/c which didn't come with the bigger injectors. i did some reading and it seems the stock injectors aren't quite big enough. considering the new 4.0 kits come with the bigger injectors i thought it would be a good idea to do them while i had the access to them. there is no pinging or anything. i did however find that the bypass valve is leaking air so I ordered up a new one of those. I pulled the plugs they dont seem to be running lean so thats a good sign and they aren't overly black. as far as the 3.4's I heard those aren't reprogrammable ecu's from what I have been reading.

10. Apr 15, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    What are you doing for fuel management if you increased the size of the injectors?

11. Apr 15, 2015 at 8:51 PM
    Hp4Play

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
    from what i have red is that when you hook the fuel pressure regulator hose to the boost port it creates a 1 to 1 ratio for fuel. this essentially makes a free fuel management unit. I got this information from the gadgetonline.com website. there was a lot to read. i'm kinda going slow as I figure it out and asking questions as I go along.

12. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:59 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    A lot of owners on your gen Tacoma, OP, install slightly larger injectors without any tuning, when adding in boost. Primarily on turbo setups, the similarities are close enough. They have done that for years and without issue. I believe they are "green tip" or another color perhaps? Correct me if I am wrong.

13. Apr 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM
    Hp4Play

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
  14. Apr 18, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    Hp4Play

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    double stuffed taco
    Ok finally got my gauge hooked up the max boost is 6 pounds. That normal? What are the normal numbers?

15. Apr 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Usually 6psi, depending on elevation.

Products Discussed in

To Top