Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

new drop-in afe

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
new drop-in afe

I ordered the afe drop-in dry filter and WAS thinking of a magnaflow muff to replace the stocker. Then reading about how the flowmaster is actually MORE restrictive than the stock? WTF? Do I even need to replace the stock when I replace the air filter? Trying to optimize the flow through the whole system. I had used a magnaflow on my '07 DC with V6 and I saw about another mile per gallon but was using the same air filter. That truck with auto trans. Any thoughts on these changes as an optimization of the whole system?

Magnaflow was louder than stock but I wasn't just crazy about the sound...mainly did it for hopeful mpg improvements.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
If you want better air flow in your exhause, weld on a dynomax superturbo muffler
Old 05-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the afe drop-in today and was wondering how this compares to the trd cai?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
what engine do you have?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
tussery has a spectacular aura abouttussery has a spectacular aura about
tussery's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tussery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
If you want better air flow in your exhause, weld on a dynomax superturbo muffler
Wouldn't a Magnaflow flow better than a Dynomax since it is a straight through muffler and not a chamber muffler?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 l V6 with 6 spd manual. Not really detecting any difference with the drop-in filter installed. I may just leave the stock muffler in place for awhile. If I do change the muffler will probably go with another magnaflow or maybe a cat-back trd. I had a magnaflow on the '07 V6 so at least I know how it will sound. My main concern is reducing backpressure to maybe get a little better mileage. I got about another mile per gallon when I put the magnaflow on the DC with auto trans. Truck had 30000 miles on it at that time so the slight increase was not due to breaking in. I drive my current taco very easy mostly adhering to shifting at or before 2000 rpm etc.

The sound of the magnaflow was not real impressive but not too bad. Some drone in the cab but not too bad. Out of all the sound clips I have heard of all the different systems available I have not heard any that really sounded good to me. To me they all make the truck(s) sound like riceburners. I don't think there really is a way to make a V6 sound like a V8 no matter what you do to it. To each his own I guess. Still searching but doubt that the stocker on the '09 will get replaced any time soon.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Had a magnaflow welded in and it sounds good. More important is if will help reduce restriction in the exhaust a little. I think it does at least some...when I put the magnaflow on my '07 it got about a mpg better so it helps a little.

Products Discussed in this Thread