Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

uni chip

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
bobby7872 is on a distinguished road
bobby7872's Tacoma Gallery
uni chip

has anyone heard of uni chip? if you have what are they like?
www.unichip.us
Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
is expensive....
Old 10-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
pointless?????????
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
NOMAD
ANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the rough

ANDYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
yes pointless i could think of a hundred different ways to spend money
taken from: http://www.unichip.us/FJ-Cruiser.asp
Performance

Depending upon the intake and exhaust systems on a particular truck, the Unichip will produce up to 27 more bhp and 31 more lb-ft of torque on normally aspirated trucks and an additional 20 bhp and 20 lb-ft on engines with TRD SC kits. Additionally, whenever you’re working the truck hard whether off-road, hauling your toy to the beach, or loaded down with the kids and gear, your engine will be consuming less fuel while making better power.
Tuning options
The Unichip isn’t a “one size fits all” application, but a programmable tuning solution designed for your specific vehicle. Rather than a single FJ configuration, Unichip currently supports twenty-two different bolt-on intake and exhaust modifications combinations with unique calibrations to optimize those components… each of which is available in low-octane, mid-octane, or premium-octane fuel settings.
The calibration requirements for a K&N FIPK intake, for example, are very different from another type of intake system like, again for example, a Volant but most tuning products offer only a single calibration… which by definition will work on one, the other, or the stock vehicle but not all three. Unichip builds multiple calibrations for specific parts which can be loaded into the PnP kit as desired.
The basic Unichip kit includes a two position switch via which you can change between Map 1 and Map 2 and completely change the tuning effect on your engine. Typically, customers choose a low-octane program in Map 1 to get good power while saving fuel cost and a premium-octane fuel for when they want to get all of the power available. Alternatively, you could have a stock configuration calibration in Map 1 and a cold air, header, exhaust calibration in Map 2 so that when you purchase those parts, all you have to do to get “tuned” is flip a switch. Best of all, you can change what’s in the Unichip any time you desire; reprogramming is just a simple 30-second download.

so yes, I say pointless! Has anyone achieved any of these claimed values? Dyno? 1/4 mile times? any type of proof?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
If your looking for a performance calibrator look into the APR X-1. Here is proof of 30rwhp gains. And it was designed SPECIFICALLY for the 4.0L 1GRFE.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...71&postcount=1
Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
If your looking for a performance calibrator look into the APR X-1. Here is proof of 30rwhp gains. And it was designed SPECIFICALLY for the 4.0L 1GRFE.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...71&postcount=1
that's 30rwhp with a supercharger. I think you forgot that most people don't have one of those.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
that's 30rwhp with a supercharger. I think you forgot that most people don't have one of those.
For N/A vehicles the gains are around 20rwhp. Same kit on an N/A truck.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=17
Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
the x-1 looks nice, but damn over a grand.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
philinchains is on a distinguished road
Army: counter intel, medcom
Name: Mark
philinchains's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see why people diss the UniChip. It's been a great improvement on my truck. I did have it pogrammed too for a TRD supercharger, jut have to flick the switch on it when I get the cash to buy one. The biggest improvements were the rear cat delete by URD and the Unichip. Next would be the headers and cat back.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Oh, I do drive 17 miles each way to work every day. After the Unichip, I saw I could get 7-8 days out of a full tank instead of 6 days. NICE!! But, I love to punch it on the hwy, it's got a nice growl w/o the rear cats. LOL
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by philinchains View Post
I don't see why people diss the UniChip. It's been a great improvement on my truck. I did have it pogrammed too for a TRD supercharger, jut have to flick the switch on it when I get the cash to buy one. The biggest improvements were the rear cat delete by URD and the Unichip. Next would be the headers and cat back.
Butt dyno FTW
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Well, it's been a great upgrade on my truck. I did each upgrade one at a time to feel the difference. And the Chip and the Cat delete were the most impressive. But I did the Unichip last to have it programmed for all these upgrades. An who wouldn't love an extra day of driveing out of a tank of gas?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
The APR guy lives near me. I'm in San Antonio. I've contacted him. He's in New Braunfels, TX......30 min drive. I'd like to check that garage out!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The Unichip unit is an actual piggyback computer that works well. Just because it has the word chip in the name doesn't mean it is your typical ebay chip.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
The only reason I went with JBA headers is to keep the stock Air flow sensors. I do know that the Thorley longs are better. But, with the rear cats off of mine, I'm happy. Sounds great too.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
No...the Unichip is a a rather large chip with an OEM plug in to piggyback the mother harness. Was 45 min install. Just get it programmed with ALL of your upgrades to get the most out of it. Like I said before, not impressive on my Infiniti G35 but way impressive on the Taco.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Can't answer that for you. But the "chip" part is like 6 inches long, 3-4 inches wide, and mabe 1 inch thick. Then there's 2 wire harnesses on each end. One is for the options (3 settings or MAPS). THe other plugs into the mother board harness.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Well, what I did was called them. I told them EVERY upgrade I had done. Even the aluminum throtle body spacer( minimal at best). But, they pre program in house and try to match everything you have. If they dont have a catback name brand you have, they pick another. I did have the revlimiter removed and it caused problems. That's why I mentioned their customer service is great. Over the phone, he told me which wires to cut and it fixed it. That was the only problem I had. If you don't have any after market stuff, I would wait. The UniChip brings all those parts out to their fullest.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
They are reprogramable too. So...find a used one and mail it in to get it set up for you!