Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

turbo kit for 3rz 2000

Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
TheTicosTaco is on a distinguished road
TheTicosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
turbo kit for 3rz 2000

hey guys i thinking of turbo kit for my 3rz 2000 . 4x4 .. is it worth it .. and is not California smog a provable .. ??
its a t3 ... .42 ar compressor .48 ar tubrine wet float bearing

what u guys think .. is it worth it ???

thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
check out KO racing amongst many others and find a good one for you
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
There's ALOT more that "slapping a turbo" on the truck.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
what i mean is .. puting a turbo on my toyota is wrth the money ima spend into it..
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
What are your goals? What are you looking to do with the truck? How much money are you willing to spend? Im almost 4k into my build....
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
The Green Machine
MiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MiikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
im thinking about putting a turbo on my 02 3rz also. i think it would be a good investment since it is only an i4 and i4s only push about 150 or around there. im not sure what the stock hp is. I want to get a turbo so I have more power to push my truck through steeper inclines and around in the sand. I guess it all depends on what you plan to do with your truck. like dually said it all depends on how much you want to drop into your truck.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, and its a ton of work and a lot of commitment.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
well for towing power i though it would help ,and for also 4 wheeling in the sand ... . well im lookin @ a turbo for $1700 . and shop like 1200.
is it true @ 20.000 ima hav to get the turbo change or reconditioned .. ?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
So just the turbo is 1700? There is a lot more than just the turbo, you have the manifold, upgraded fuel system, some sort of engine management system, internal upgrades, instruments and the list goes on...

A turbo will be needed to be rebuilt whenever it goes out. hard to say when. You should really pick up the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, and read up on this subject.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
aite for sure ima check it out @ borders .. thnks man i forgot about fuel up grades .. yea its for all @ tht price its blow off val , t3 and manifold turbo side mount and . intercool. and bolts nuts, alll thm goodies
Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Mean Green Machine
98yota is on a distinguished road

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
So just the turbo is 1700? There is a lot more than just the turbo, you have the manifold, upgraded fuel system, some sort of engine management system, internal upgrades, instruments and the list goes on...
well, not exactly. i have chatted with people that run their 2/3rz's with 4-6 lbs of boost on stock ECU and fuel system...no problems at all. it's def. a good idea to have all that you listed, but for a low boost setup it will be fine. i have a friend from knoxville, tennessee with a 3rz turbo running 5 lbs that ran a 15.3 @ 89 mph. he popped the clutch off the line, all he did was spin. i think its easily a good mid 14 second truck. he stayed on the bumper of a nearly stock SRT-4 on the interstate from 40-~90...so i think thats pretty accurate. 2/3rz's love boost
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you 'can' run stock fuel system, but would rather have the re-assurance you're getting enough fuel?

And yes the rz motors LOVE boost, mine wants more!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Mean Green Machine
98yota is on a distinguished road

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Yes, you 'can' run stock fuel system, but would rather have the re-assurance you're getting enough fuel?

And yes the rz motors LOVE boost, mine wants more!
yeah man, i def. agree that you need the re-assurance of having an upgraded fuel system. He has his cat gutted, so before he even put the turbo on there, it was already running a little rich b/c of that, so it worked out pretty good haha
Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
great southern la is on a distinguished road
Name: Trent
great southern la's Tacoma Gallery
hi just wondering how you go running the stock ecu on the turboed 3rz? mine keeps stalling when it returns to idle??/??
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by great southern la View Post
hi just wondering how you go running the stock ecu on the turboed 3rz? mine keeps stalling when it returns to idle??/??
It is an issue with the MAF and an overrich mixture. Where is your maf located? Are you recirculating your bov?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #18
great southern la is on a distinguished road
Name: Trent
great southern la's Tacoma Gallery
I am not running a bov, only running 5psi boost the maf sensor is located between the air box and turbo.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Can't turbo any n/a vehicle and get it to pass smog in California unless the vehicle came with some sort of factory turbo.

Only way around it is to register your vehicle in a smog exempt area.