Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD Sweetness

Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
URD Sweetness

I finally got some time to install my TCAI. Its been here for about 2 weeks, just sitting in the box. The install was relatively uneventful. I really diddnt like the idea of messing with the MAF wiring, but it went smooth as well. Funny how much crap you have to tear out of the engine compartment. Anyway, i have the stock pipes and no MAF calibrator as of yet (its on order), but the engine sounds awesome anyway. Well worth the $$.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
I've read that the URD intake isnt leagal in Cali. Thats the only reason im looking at the TRD. Do you think your gonna have trouble when your over 5 yrs old and have to have it smogged. I really want the URD I'm just worried about CA laws.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
SCMtaco is on a distinguished road
SCMtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've read that the TRD isn't legal in Ca either. I was looking at both intakes and want to put one in, but I'm not too sure about the laws and what not.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
I finally got some time to install my TCAI. Its been here for about 2 weeks, just sitting in the box. The install was relatively uneventful. I really diddnt like the idea of messing with the MAF wiring, but it went smooth as well. Funny how much crap you have to tear out of the engine compartment. Anyway, i have the stock pipes and no MAF calibrator as of yet (its on order), but the engine sounds awesome anyway. Well worth the $$.

hey man, how much of a difference as far as acceleration can you tell from stock to the urd intake??
Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Nitro_rc is on a distinguished road

Nitro_rc's Tacoma Gallery
When the 5 years is up put your OEM intake back on. Get it smog and after it pass the smog check, put back the URD intake. If it don't pass smog, sell your truck and get a new one and start over with the MODs again. We only live once....enjoy it as much as you can with your truck.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Question...Correct me if I am wrong, but the URD intake only comes for the V6 version correct? I've been to the website and it looks like they only make em for the V6. I want to see if there any hope out there for getting one for my I4 in the future.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
For now the URD CAI is only for the 4.0L V6 engine.

I spoke with the Owner of URD several months ago about the MAF Calibrator and the CAI. He said that they were looking into the plausibility of doing a CAI on the 2.7L, but at that time there were no definite plans.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
looks good i guess the rain wont hurt it
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I also installed mine recently after it sat around for 2 weeks. I'm definitely noticing the performance gains. I scared some old guy this morning that was trying to cut me off! I also did not have any problems installing the thing except for the MAF wire extensions. I had never soldered wires before. I found the best way to do this...strip about .75" insulation off, cross the bare wires in the middle to form an X, then wrap the loose end of the wire around the other wire, hold the soldering iron under the wire and feed the solder through the top. You didn't forget to put the heat shrink on there, did you? I think that I should be pretty well set when I go to install the calibrator.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
looks good i guess the rain wont hurt it
I live in Los Angeles. I cant remember the last time it rained. Regardless, I washed my truck last sunday and sprayed the hose directly through the grill. The truck ran fine right after.

The install was easy. Yeah I put the heat shrink on.

I was really surprised at the improvement in acceleration. This thing really moves now. My first thoughts upon accelerating onto the freeway was "this is how this truck should feel". Its very responsive, i love it. (My MPG is down cause i keep getting on the gas).

Im not worried about cal laws. Laws are for sissy la la's.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #12

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
Nice install man. I've seen this before somewhere awhile back. You have anymore pics detailing the installation process?
Its really not that hard. It took me around 2 hrs at a relaxed pace. You basically rip out the old air intake, etc., detatch the MAF and extend the MAF wire harness, cut a hole in the front of the engine compartment and install the pipes.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
It took me a while to do the install process because I check, re-check, hesitate, check and then finally get out the air saw. It probably took me about 3-4 hours to do the install. The instructions it came with were great. I couldn't have asked for much more...wait, did your intake tube go over one of the fluid reservoirs (maybe the power steering?)

I have posted some acceleration and mileage numbers over here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nce-tests.html The URD intake really helped out on the acceleration. I don't drive often, so it will take me a little while to get an accurate mileage number.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
RK-Taco is on a distinguished road
RK-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I also installed mine recently after it sat around for 2 weeks. I'm definitely noticing the performance gains. I scared some old guy this morning that was trying to cut me off! I also did not have any problems installing the thing except for the MAF wire extensions. I had never soldered wires before. I found the best way to do this...strip about .75" insulation off, cross the bare wires in the middle to form an X, then wrap the loose end of the wire around the other wire, hold the soldering iron under the wire and feed the solder through the top. You didn't forget to put the heat shrink on there, did you? I think that I should be pretty well set when I go to install the calibrator.
Did you use the supplied AFR map or use dyno/wide band to optimize the AFR? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't installed the maf calibrator yet. I requested the map on the calibrator to be the map for the intake. I've been very impressed even without the calibrator.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #16

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
So you can have them pre-program the MAF Cal for the intake? Their site is kinda hazy on this. I was gonna call them. I need to get one fast. My MPG is in the gutter.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, they can do that for you. They claimed that they did that on mine, but I have my doubts that they really did it. I just told them in the notes section on the ordering page. After I received it, I checked the invoice and it didn't say anything about the map that was loaded. I asked them and they said that they loaded it with whatever I asked for. I think that they forgot and didn't want to deal with returns. I don't know though.