Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Any Upgrades Needed after Installing a Supercharger?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
perogie2328 is on a distinguished road
perogie2328's Tacoma Gallery
Any Upgrades Needed after Installing a Supercharger?

I want to install a Trd supercharger on my 4L v6, but does anyone know if i would have to upgrade my clutch? Will i have Transmission Problems? will my stock drive train handle the extra power?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
I'm still running the stock clutch on my xrunner. With lots of extra power over just the TRD blower.

You should be fine, but a small note, the OEM clutch is a hit or miss. Some work well, others will blow out on an N/A vehicle.

If it blows out (not wear out), it is most likely a catastrophic failure, and you can have that replaced under warranty
Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Marazzito will become famous soon enough

Marazzito's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marazzito Send a message via Yahoo to Marazzito
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
You should be fine, but a small note, the OEM clutch is a hit or miss. Some work well, others will blow out on an N/A vehicle.

If it blows out (not wear out), it is most likely a catastrophic failure, and you can have that replaced under warranty
There are two different clutches for the Tacoma. Some are sourced from a German company and others from a Chinese company. If you get a truck with a German clutch, it will fail. The Chinese clutches are much better and shifting is significantly smoother. My truck came with a German sourced clutch, started showing the early signs and my dealer swapped it out for the Chinese sourced clutch. My truck shifts much better and the clutch engagement is way better.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marazzito View Post
There are two different clutches for the Tacoma. Some are sourced from a German company and others from a Chinese company. If you get a truck with a German clutch, it will fail. The Chinese clutches are much better and shifting is significantly smoother. My truck came with a German sourced clutch, started showing the early signs and my dealer swapped it out for the Chinese sourced clutch. My truck shifts much better and the clutch engagement is way better.
Is there a way to tell which clutch installed? Part number? Manf Label? anything like that?

Do you have any other info about those (comp name, etc)?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Marazzito will become famous soon enough

Marazzito's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marazzito Send a message via Yahoo to Marazzito
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
Is there a way to tell which clutch installed? Part number? Manf Label? anything like that?

Do you have any other info about those (comp name, etc)?

I honestly don't know, but when I brought my truck to my service department with the first signs he new exactly what it was and explained the difference between the German sourced and Chinese sourced clutches. He was able to confirm that I had a German clutch but I am not sure how, maybe VIN, maybe when he pulled my tranny and looked at it. When he ordered the Chinese clutch it was on back order (show's how much of a problem it is). He also said this is one of the most known problems with the 6-speed Tacoma's.

On a side note, I brought it to another dealership before and they were clueless and greased my u-joints (which did nothing).