1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.0 V6 Exhaust FAQ

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by judd94, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jun 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    judd94

judd94 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    **Disclaimer** There are a million threads about exhaust setups so I thought I would put it all together. Please add pics, videos, and specs and opinions on your setups but please don't put a bunch of questions and useless jarble. All info may not be entirely 100% accurate. Either PM me and I will edit it or just add-on below. Thanks. Moving On....

OK So you wanna upgrade your exhaust.
    There are 3 different sections that are upgradeable. They are Headers/ Manifolds, Y-Pipe, and "Cat-Back" Exhaust.

Headers/ Manifolds- This is the first section of the exhaust where it exits the engine and starts its journey down the pipes. There are 2 types of upgrades.
    Short Tube-have to be welded on, keep OEM O2 sensors, they are smog legal, these have decent power gains
    Long Tube- direct bolt-on replacement, have to have O2 simulators, are NOT smog legal, the most power gain
    Brands: Doug Thorley- long and short; JBA- only short
    Summary: If you want the most power gains, get the Doug Thorley Long Headers; if you want decent power and stay fully legal, get the short headers

Y-Pipe- I don't know much about this other than to make the merging of the exhausts flow better.
    URD- This is stock size with a 2.25" pipe and removes the catalytic converters.
    Doug Thorley "Pipe Bomb" removes the cats and replaces with resonators.

Cat-Back Exhaust- This is the most popular exhaust upgrade and there are lots of choices out there. This replaces the entire setup behind the catalytic converters. Pretty much every setup has Mandrel Bent piping which means no pipe narrowing at the bends. This helps with reducing flow restrictions. There are 2 different styles: single-side exit and dual side exit. There are also different sized pipe depending on what performance changes you want.
    Size/ Exit-
    Single-Side Exit 2.5" Pipe- Slightly larger than stock. You will not lose any low end HP/ Torque, but do not gain as much in the top end. I believe this size gives you the most overall power gains on a dyno test. The peformance changes of the different brands are all similar and its really a matter of which sound/ brand you want.
    TRD- single welded unit, so no clamps or having to weld. Its not really much louder than stock and has a nice throaty purr.
    Magnaflow, JBA, Borla, Dynomax, Gibson- sectional pieces that are clamped or can be welded. They all sound a little different. Listen to the sound clips and go from there.
    Single-Side Exit 3" pipe- This will give you a small lose of HP/ Torque in the low end, but more gain in the top end. This would be good if you go into the higher rpm range more often.
    Banks and URD are this size.
    Dual Side Exit 2.5" Pipe- These look and sound awesome but they also lose a little power in the low end.
    Flowmaster and MBRP make these.

Popularity: TRD, Flowmaster, and Magnaflow are the most popular choices for cat-backs

Muffler/ Custom setup- There are a lot of people who also just swap out the actual muffler. And there are those who make a custom setup at the local muffler shop. This tends to be $100-$200 less than a brand name full cat-back setup and they are usually happy with it.
    Magnaflow and Flowmaster are the popular choices for mufflers

Regardless of the power gains/ loses, generally everybody is happy with whatever setup they get. Usually sound or fitment of a particular setup seem to be the typical reason people don't like what they chose and switched to something else. Any power loses you get from a larger exhaust should be countered by the gains of a good CAI.

Factory Websites:
    TRDUSA.com
    FLOWMASTERMUFFLERS.com
    MAGNAFLOW.com
    URDUSA.com
    BORLA.com
    DYNOMAX.com
    DOUGTHORLEYHEADERS.com
    JBAHEADERS.com
    BANKSPOWER.com
    GIBSONEXHAUST.com
    MBRP.com

2. Jun 6, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Doug Thorly makes the "Pipe Bomb", which is a "Y" pipe for the 4.0. :)

3. Jun 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
  4. Jun 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Did Toyota redesign the TRD exhaust system recently? I see some posts saying it's just a muffler change and others, including some with info from Toyota, stating 8-10 hp improvements and maybe a slight bump in mileage...assuming you don't drive like the sound makes you want to.

5. Jul 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    Sooo, possibly a dumb question. 07 SR5 DC LB, stock exhaust size is 2.25"?

J

6. Jul 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Its about 2.5"

7. Jul 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    So If I wanted to order a flowmaster 40 series, I need 2.5", offset/center. Any specific length? I see 18-19" thrown around alot. does it matter?

Great FAQ BTW

J

8. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    If your exhaust piping is the same as the XR's, then yes. Piping is 2.25" ID.

From what I've seen the only difference between the two is the muffler and exhaust tip.

9. Jul 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Can anyone tell me if the stock Y-pipe for an XR is same as the 4x4...

10. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    It is not. The 4x4 y pipe has a bend that drops the piping down about 3-4" lower (to clear the transfer case).

Just the same the URD y-pipe is different for both the XR and for the 4x4 models.

11. Jul 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Thought so...

Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top