Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

ECO Systems VPE Test Results

Old 11-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Post ECO Systems VPE Test Results

Finally had to give up on the PDF format as it won't fit. Here is the final report on our observations...

Please Note: The 2.7L PreRunner numbers are not typical. I found out at the end of the test that my AFE oil/gauze air filter had fouled my MAF sensor.

Neither Adam, nor I work for ECO Systems. We were just curious. ECO Systems lent us VPEs for testing to share. The above report shows our observations.

Thanks to Adam (maverick491) for conducting the 4.0L test even though his Tacoma isn't his primary driver. He even threw in two extra runs at the end to compare the winter blend of fuel which adds Ethanol to the gasoline.

Thanks also to Ben with ECO Systems (ECOTAZ) for lending us the VPEs for testing. You can PM Ben for more information on the ECO Systems product.

We will be arranging a group buy with Ben soon. For those that are interested.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Thanks also to Manofs for bringing this to our attention. All of this is because of his thread...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-mileage.html

Thanks also to tcBob for letting such a thread go on.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
WOW that is one in depth test result you made there.

From those numbers it looks like it works which if it is the case sign me up.

Group buy
1. M3dragon
Old 11-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a ton Mav and 007, very thorough test and great presentation of all the data and results. Now you guys can kick back and enjoy the hoilday.

Group Buy
1. m3dragon
2. PatheticJoe
Old 11-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Just a few closing notes related to the 4.0L tests.

Most of the tanks reported on in my portion of the test were 92 octane from my favorite local gas station. The ones when I was away from home were whatever the super was at those stations. Never less than 91 octane, and never higher than 93.

Anything in my portion of the test labled as towing was with a 2006 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 197 in tow. It's wet and ready to camp weight is right around 3500 Lbs. It presents a frontal area of 7' 5" wide by 10' 9" high.

Based on that information I have concluded that towing is a wash more or less, I believe that there is just a point where the air resistance of the trailer does more to dictate fuel consumption than does the engine of the tow vehicle or any devices attached to it. Also, there are just too many variables in towing, such as head winds or tail winds, upgrades, or downgrades, not to mention the time spent with the engine idling while checking into the campground at the office, and backing into the campsite. So please if you tow regularly expect your towing mileage to remain roughly the same.

An important note about tanks 11 and 12. I intended to conclude my testing of the ECO-2 VPE with tank 11. However, that run took place after the change over to winter blended fuel, so just to make sure that I did a thorough job of it I removed the VPE and re-ran Tank 11. Tank 11 and Tank 12 are the exact same loop under as close to identical conditions as the New Jersey Turnpike would permit, and they were only done two days apart. My point is that I believe that these two tanks are closer in mileage than they really should be, because while I did wind up stuck in a roughly 2 minute longer traffic jam on tank 12 then on tank 11, the highway was much more crowded during the tank 12 run than it was during the tank 11 run. That means that I was forced to accept a little more drafting from semis and other automobiles on tank 12 while I was able to keep the truck’s nose into the wind much more on tank 11. While this is not as scientific as it could be I have spent $50.00 on fuel and $7.50 on turnpike tolls over 3 days for no reason other than trying to do my best to perform this test, so this is as good as it gets.

I have complete data on all the test tanks such as driving speed, max speed, and average speed as well as driving time and stopped time. If you want that information let me know and I'll send it directly to you, but I do not want to clog up this thread with it as there is already a huge amount of information here for you to digest.

I thank everyone for their support, and patience while we conducted this test, and I espescially want to thank 007Tacoma for getting the ball rolling on this as well as creating the final report file, Manofs for bringing this up in the first place, and EcoTaz for loaning us the units to test.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
pivitol is on a distinguished road

pivitol's Tacoma Gallery
I want to thank both Adam and Mark for taking the time, money, and effort to do this. But I have to say I am glad it is over I was getting really pissed at some posts on the other thread. Many times I had typed in a response in a blind fury and deleted it in fear of being banned from the forum. Great Job and thanks again!!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to both of you. Great presentation of the data. Would it be possible to get the details so I can run some analysis and use as a base for the data I'll start collecting on my truck. I'm a numbers dork.
Thanks again for all the work.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
From Michigan!!
boks will become famous soon enough
boks's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this report!! I've been a lurker on the "other" thread while skeptical but positive. Went with the can't hurt, might help theory and just ordered one. Even if it just improved emissions, I'll be happy.

Thanks again for the report.

Boks
Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the details. Like boks said, if it can't hurt... Just got an e-mail that it's on its way. Once I get a little time I'm going to get your data into a spreadsheet that I can start to populate with my own and see what kind of trends we can see between both vehicles.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
Just ordered mine with free shipping =)
Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Just ordered mine with free shipping =)
You didn't want to wait for a group buy? I'm sure the savings won't be substantial but you seemed pretty interested in it.

EDIT: Stupid me, I just now saw the group buy notice in the other thread.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i usually get better mpg than mavericks tanksa anyways...wonder what it'd do for me
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
You didn't want to wait for a group buy? I'm sure the savings won't be substantial but you seemed pretty interested in it.

EDIT: Stupid me, I just now saw the group buy notice in the other thread.
You are FIRED!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #14
Jackass to the masses

Data request

I'm trying to gather some specific data to really analyze the trends on gasmileage based on several factors (not just the VPE) and add to the report started by Mav and 007Taco. I'm hoping to get as many data points as possible so we can see some real trends and eliminate as many variables as possible. If you think you might be willing to track a tank or 2 check out this thread and help out.
Thanks
James

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-trending.html
Old 11-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
CiCCaTRiCe is on a distinguished road
CiCCaTRiCe's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds really great but is it legal in California. California has some wacky laws.. If it is count me in!!
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiCCaTRiCe View Post
Sounds really great but is it legal in California. California has some wacky laws.. If it is count me in!!
It should be legal as we have 4 cats on the car so don't worry. Mine is in route and I am in Sacramento
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
kalib0y is on a distinguished road
kalib0y's Tacoma Gallery
Any DIY steps for installation yet?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #20
jgunccrugby is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jgunccrugby's Tacoma Gallery
Can you quickly run a calculation on the cost recovery?
Just off the top of my head I am thinking it is about 60 tanks of gas, or 30,000 miles before you recoup the cost.