Volumized gas mileage trending

View Poll Results: Think you'll contribute
Absolutely! 23 58.97%
Eh... We'll see. 14 35.90%
Probably not. Just not my thing. 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Post Gas mileage data request for trending

I posted this in the wrong forum accidentally so here it is. Anyone want to tell me how to delete to other one?

I've mentioned that I'm a numbers junkie in another thread and that's no lie. It's an addiction really. After seeing the results of the Eco-VPE test that Mav and 007taco did I am really interested in taking these tests to a larger test group and expanding the data collected. Knowing that there are several of us that will end up buying the Eco device to try it out and that there are many more that won't spend the money, here's what I'd like to do if anyone is interested.

I've got a spreadsheet with all of the necessary data from Mav's test and will be getting the data from 007Taco's test in there shortly as well as starting to add my own. Using the theory of large numbers, the more data we get the better the information produced. To help you don't have to have the system (in fact, we'll need some that don't as a control group). Below is the list of data items I'm asking for. Simply send me periodic updates every tank or 2 with the info and I'll add it in. Then we can start to see the larger trends not only of the VPE, but of all sorts of mods.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone that helps out. I know this is not exact, but in real science you look for trends and that's what I'd like to do here. There are several variables but we have the chance to reduce their effect through volume.

Send data in any format you'd like but please include as much of this data as you can.

username
truck year
approximate miles on truck (i.e. 10K, 54K, 110K, etc)
engine size
cab
configuration (TRD-off-road, Pre-Runner, etc)
secondary air-filter removed (yes or no)
Stock airfilter or aftermarket (include manufacturer if aftermarket)
4x4 (yes or no)
Transmission (i.e. 5-spd manual, 4-speed auto, etc)
Eco VPE installed (yes or no)
Stock exhaust or aftermarket (include manufacturer for aftermarket)
Total miles for a given tank (tank 1 - 220.5 miles, tank 2 - 180 miles)
Gallons at fill-up (tank 1 - 17 gallons, tank 2 - 14 gallons)
Any accessories you have that may effect efficiency (i.e. roof rack, Running boards, bull bar, etc - please include manufacturer if possible)
Towing/hauling for this tank (yes or no)
Tire Size (265/70 R16, 31x10.50x15, etc)
Octane Rating
Date of fill-up

*Approximate average speed
*% highway miles
*Any assorted notes you care to include
*Differential Gearing (if different from stock, I can look up stock info)

* = not necessary, but helpful
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
Two things I think you might want to include are differential gearing and tire size. My experience has been that all else being approximately equal, the gearing is the difference between my 19.6 mpg and a friend's 25mpg on the highway. City driving we're about equal at 18.

I just threw out all the data I had been keeping over the past two months. I'll start collecting again and join in the fun.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenrie View Post
Two things I think you might want to include are differential gearing and tire size. My experience has been that all else being approximately equal, the gearing is the difference between my 19.6 mpg and a friend's 25mpg on the highway. City driving we're about equal at 18.

I just threw out all the data I had been keeping over the past two months. I'll start collecting again and join in the fun.
Thanks. That's the kind of stuff I need. Help deciding what data to include. I'm editing the original post to include suggestions like that. Good stuff!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
This looks like something most of the TW could do, count me in.

Jeff
06,V6,6spd,SR5, 4x4 Bone stock still
Old 11-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Jackass to the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
This looks like something most of the TW could do, count me in.

Jeff
06,V6,6spd,SR5, 4x4 Bone stock still
Exactly! That was what struck me as the real gain here. You don't have to have this or that to contribute and possibly gain some info. I'm planning on some basic reports with comparisons on the most popular variables (engine size, cab, bed covers, etc) and also providing more detailed reports by specific model as requested. I can easily see a report that gives info on a specific year, with particular options, as being helpful for buyers or just for fun. I'm twisted, I know.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in. I already follow my feul mileage evert tank.
I'll send you my info on my next fill-up.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in. I just sent it via email but I mistakenly put the username as RRJohnson (my username on a different forum) instead of RobRJohnson.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
Jackass to the masses

Got it. Thanks Rob
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sent you my info. E-mail.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 AM   #10
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Filled up the other day so some time next week I will pass on mileage features.

Jeff
06,V6,SR5,4x4, 6spd brillinat red
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
Jackass to the masses

Thanks to those that are willing to help out with this. I'm starting to get some data in now from here and some of the guys at TN. Hopefully I'll have enough to really do some analysis within a month or so if the pace keeps up.
Just thought I'd update.
Thanks
James
Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #12
gsm will become famous soon enough

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco is just hitting 1,000 miles and I've tracked it since new. I have a pda program for tracking fuel, cost, per tank and total mpg etc. I will send it in later tonight.

For right now, my stock reg. cab started at like 21.5 mpg new. Now on my 3rd tank had just over 25mpg. That's a 50/50 mix of city/hwy. She's breaking in and my Cruise Ctrl is in the mail. Working for 28+ hwy (wishfull thinking).

Thanks for collecting the data.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #13
Jackass to the masses

Just bumping to the top to get some more data.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?
Bueller?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have some more data that I'll send when I get home.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
If you want, I have a spreadsheet with nearly 2 yrs of data (~ 40,000 miles). Odometer readings, miles traveled, gallons used for fillup, mpg, cost/gal, cost/mile, and a notes column for oil changes, mods (bed cover, then canopy, oil changes, tire size change, actual numbers from SG after larger tires, etc).

Would probably just be easier to email the file than copy/paste it here.

I have a 2006 4x4 DC SB 6spd, stock intake and exhaust, 2nd air filter removed.

I live out in the country so my driving covers all types except towing. Hills, city streets, highways, and 65+ on non-highway main roads.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Jackass to the masses

Another thanks to those that keep sending in data. Here're the updated tables. If you've used Pivot tables before they're easy to understand. If not, I've posted a little more description below. Now that I've found a software that lets me create jpgs I should be able to send customized tables upon request.

I have to not that we still have only 458 tanks of data so all numbers are a little suspect and have been heavily influenced by the few contributors that have sent in dozens of tanks worth of data.

The "Average" tables show the average MPG for a given configuration by year.
The "Count" show the corresponding number of tanks that make up the average.
In the first jpg you have Cab and Engine configurations by year. The first data point in the far left colum is 29.69 average MPG for the 2005 Access Cab with 2.7 I4 engine. The second table tells you that there were 49 tanks of data that fit this configuration.
The higher the number of tanks, the less individual driving habits/circumstances effect the overall number (in theory).

The second jpg shows how exhaust and intake mods effect MPG on average.
The first data point on the left is for a 4.0 V6 engine with an Aftermarket Exhaust and an Aftermarker air filter and shows 22.6 mpg. The second table tells you that there was only one tank with this configuration.
The next data point (22.60) is the total of all Aftermarket exhausts. The next number (14.86) is the average for 4.0 V6 engines with a Stock Exhaust and Aftermarket air filter and is averaged on 26 tanks.

Having used these types of tables for many years now, I don't have a sense for how hard they are to read for others. Please provide some feedback so I can make them useful to as many people as possible.

Thanks
James
Attached Thumbnails
Volumized gas mileage trending-gas-mileage-1.jpg   Volumized gas mileage trending-gas-mileage-2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #18
Jackass to the masses

Just bumping back to the top so we can hopefully get a few more inputs.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
Just bumping back to the top so we can hopefully get a few more inputs.
I have another tankful for you. I'll get the numbers to you b4 the weekend is over. Missed 2 tanks through the holidays, sorry about that.