Notices

Borla VS Magnaflow Catbacks

View Poll Results: Which is better
Borla 125 50.00%
Magnaflow 125 50.00%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Borla VS Magnaflow Catbacks

I'm trying to decide on which system I want and have been listening to countless videos but havent really been able to differentiate the sounds between the two. Is there a real difference?

Also, cheapest place to find each one of them?

Sorry, wasnt meant to be a poll.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Borla sounds better to me... plus I don't think Magnaflow makes catbacks for DC long beds.

Honestly, for the price I'm just gonna buy a universal Magnaflow for my rig and keep the stock piping. Sounds like all these cat-backs are giving you the same size piping, just a new muffler anyways.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
First of all, be careful with sound clips on the web - most of them do a very poor job of capturing the lower ranges, meaning they all sound ricier than they really are in person.

That said, I do find the sound of Borla to be genuinely ricey, and would go with a Magnaflow any day when picking between the two.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if borla is better or not but I really like the magnaflow in my truck. Good enough for me.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Riceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the rough
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Borla is more expensive. Both are the same stainless steel casing with steel wool packing. Magnaflow comes in several different sizes and shape, the larger the quieter. Borla doesn't have as many options.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Would the magnaflow muffler sound the same as the whole cat-back system?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Riceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the roughRiceman is a jewel in the rough
Riceman's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you just have money to blow, don't get the catback, just the muffler. Then have an exhaust shop either put it in the place of the stocker, or fab up a catback. Will probably save you at least $100.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
That said, I do find the sound of Borla to be genuinely ricey, and would go with a Magnaflow any day when picking between the two.
Ricey? Are you serious? (I would like to know how something sounds "ricey" btw)

Anyways, back to the OP. I would suggest you find some local people who have the two systems and listen to them yourself. You're going to get various answers here since everyone has a different taste for sound. I've had the Borla cat back on my truck from day 1 and love it. It sounds awesome IMO. Just remember...you get what you pay for.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Borla and i love the sound. My brother has a magnaflow on his 02 tacoma and to me both sound great but theres something about the sound of the Borla that makes it sounds awesome but its hard to explain
Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_X-SP View Post
Ricey? Are you serious? (I would like to know how something sounds "ricey" btw)
More buzz, less rumble, than other options I have heard. If you like it, power to you. It's not my preference, but we're not talking about my truck either.

In any event I agree - the OP needs to listen to his options IN PERSON, because recording devices and environments tend to do a very poor job of capturing the actual sound of these exhaust systems. I have not once heard an online sound clip of an exhaust system that sounded comparable to the same configuration in real life.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
More buzz, less rumble, than other options I have heard.
The point is there is no definition of "ricey" in the reference that you are using it. Its a vague term that everyone analyzes differently. You probably should have used "raspy" or something of the sort. I'm not picking or anything...just hate when that word is used loosely.

and no...the Borla exhaust is not raspy
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

If you like it, that's all that matters.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
I love my Borla set up:

But, in the future I will be changing to Magnaflow for a dual exhaust option... Nothing against Borla, just cheaper to do with a univeral Magnaflow single inlet/dual out...

And no Borla is niether Raspy, nor Ricey. The term ricey belongs to 4 bangers with large tin cans mounted on the rear that add like say
100hp LOL
Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i have a borla on my truck and its not loud enough for me at all. Almost sounds stock.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i have a borla on my truck and its not loud enough for me at all. Almost sounds stock.
Some DTLT Headers will wake that baby up

See post #30

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-thread-2.html

But after awhile I decided to make it quiet again LOL...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Some DTLT Headers will wake that baby up

See post #30

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-thread-2.html

But after awhile I decided to make it quiet again LOL...

im not geting involved in headers after 130K of living next to the ocean

and by listening to those clips, my trucks already louder then that. But its still not loud enough for me.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #18
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
im not geting involved in headers after 130K of living next to the ocean
Ouch, yeah great point... ...Im from Hawaii, I know what that salt air can do
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
First of all, be careful with sound clips on the web - most of them do a very poor job of capturing the lower ranges, meaning they all sound ricier than they really are in person.

LMFAO
Old 07-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm w/ this guy. What size Magnaflow would be similar to stock at idle and cruising, with no drone in cab? Looking for the ballsy growl when I get it up around 3000 rpms.