Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Performance Upgrades Help

Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #21
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Okay. Well now I have a line through NST Pulleys.

So...
DTLTH

What else? Is there anything or should I start saving lol?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #22
white+Peal has a spectacular aura aboutwhite+Peal has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kris
white+Peal's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to white+Peal
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
At the risk of sounding retarded... what's a test pipe?
it replaces your cat.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
white+Peal has a spectacular aura aboutwhite+Peal has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kris
white+Peal's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to white+Peal
or u can go for a HIGH FLOW CAT, the test pipes won't pass smog.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
what about tuning it. take it to a dyno and maybe have them mess with the fuel/air ratio.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #25
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white+Peal View Post
I don't believe there is a high flow cat for the 2nd gen yet, but I may be mistakened.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #26
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Can your mother's highlander keep up with you towing, offroad, and cargo capacity?

When someone complains about their trucks racing performance, most of me just wants to say "you bought the wrong kind of vehicle".
Old 06-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation

Quote:
But I just don't know if you get much gain out of them.
You will have a quicker rev through the RPM band which will get you to that much needed HP faster. So yes for accelleration, you will feel a slight increase. Easy to install, and price for the full set is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
They reduce the parasitic drag created from turning other components. Not a big gain, and it comes at the expense of underdriving you alternator, water pump, etc....
Chris, you are the Guru on this forum, and your statement is somewhat acurate, but my concern is that the NST pulleys are light weight, and not underdrive pullies.

Please correct me if im mistaken, but underdrive pullies change the size of the actuall pulley that is needing to be underdriven. And LW pulleys just reduce weight, allowing for the same performance increase as running an E-Fan vs stock.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by white+Peal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTycoon View Post
I don't believe there is a high flow cat for the 2nd gen yet, but I may be mistakened.
Universal HF Cats welded in the same spot as stock would work
Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #29
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Chris, you are the Guru on this forum, and your statement is somewhat acurate, but my concern is that the NST pulleys are light weight, and not underdrive pullies.

Please correct me if im mistaken, but underdrive pullies change the size of the actuall pulley that is needing to be underdriven. And LW pulleys just reduce weight, allowing for the same performance increase as running an E-Fan vs stock.
Thanks, for the kind words, but I dont think Im a guru....I have been wrong in the past on things. ....That being said, yes, they are light weight. I was thinking they also had underdrive pullies. Reducing rotating mass is a good way to get performance, but it comes with a price. Much like the lighter flywheels use in raceing vehicles, they help, but in a street application, they can cause an engine to be more prone to stalling out. I dont think the affects of a light weight pully, or underdrive pullies, are worth the very little performance gain they give on a street vehicle. If going for absolute max hp, then sure, they should be considered, but if looking for a decent hp per dollar gain, then I think FI is the best way. Im not certain they even give as much gain as an E-fan conversion would give, though I havent tested these types of pullies on a dyno.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #30
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You will have a quicker rev through the RPM band which will get you to that much needed HP faster. So yes for accelleration, you will feel a slight increase. Easy to install, and price for the full set is worth it.
Cool thanks. Can you send me the links to the full set?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #32
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Yea I know about the DTLTH. I was talking about the NST Pulleys. I was wondering where I can read up on the full set of pulleys rox was talking about.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #33
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You wanna play, you gotta pay.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #34
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well concerning the high flow cat issue: Toyota has since replaced all 05+ tacomas with high flow cats. the first generation tacomas did not have hi-flo. but 05+ do have them
Old 06-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #35
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thanks, for the kind words, but I dont think Im a guru....I have been wrong in the past on things. ....That being said, yes, they are light weight. I was thinking they also had underdrive pullies. Reducing rotating mass is a good way to get performance, but it comes with a price. Much like the lighter flywheels use in raceing vehicles, they help, but in a street application, they can cause an engine to be more prone to stalling out. I dont think the affects of a light weight pully, or underdrive pullies, are worth the very little performance gain they give on a street vehicle. If going for absolute max hp, then sure, they should be considered, but if looking for a decent hp per dollar gain, then I think FI is the best way. Im not certain they even give as much gain as an E-fan conversion would give, though I havent tested these types of pullies on a dyno.
Very True. I totally agree, and as far as F/I, Look out for my updated Build's page

Quote:
Cool thanks. Can you send me the links to the full set?
No prob:
http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToyXR.htm

Here is my write up on the crank pulley:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...nk-pulley.html

And one on the WP & Alt pulley:
http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...hlight=pulleys

Enjoy...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #36
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very True. I totally agree, and as far as F/I, Look out for my updated Build's page
If you are implying that you are soon to be force induced, you will do nothing but increase my envy for your long list of engine mods
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #37
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTycoon View Post
If you are implying that you are soon to be force induced, you will do nothing but increase my envy for your long list of engine mods
LOL... It will take a while. Looking like next summer. But it's all a work in progress
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #38
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Horsepower costs money. the more power you want, the more you gotta spend.

You buy $5 movies for $100, or you can buy 50 movies for $250. When you buy in bulk, the $/HP is cheaper.

S/C or Turbo is the best bang for your buck 90% of the time.

The APR X-1 is 2nd best (better then some FI products as well).

The headers are a great mid range gain. Being N/A you'll trade some low end torque for some high RPM hp. You will enjoy the headers.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #39
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
Apr x-1...
Old 07-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #40
09WhiteTaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

09WhiteTaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My disclaimer: all of my aftermarket performance parts experience has been with my previous trucks (F-150, Ranger) but I believe some things are pretty similar no matter what vehicle you run them on, so here is my insight.

I bought underdrive pulley's for my F-150 and dollar for dollar, I noticed a nice seat of the pants gain. The truck rev'd much quicker through the rpm band and the throttle response was much improved. It did come at a cost, however, since the alternator (among other components) were now underdriven as the name implies. When I was at idle with my heater on and stereo going (I had two amplifiers) it was a little unnerving at times. For a daily driver, I would never do it again. The payoff was not worth the price. If you have a weekend toy that you're fixing up and you don't care about the auxiliary components (stereo, hvac, power windows, etc.) then sure, they're a great bang for the buck mod. But I wouldn't do it for a daily driver.