Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flowmaster Rust?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster Rust?

I went to my local shop today to get a price quote for a Flowmaster 50 delta flow on my truck. He recommended a Magnaflow and said that Flowmasters rust out and are shit after 3 years. Any truth to this? I really like the sound of the 50 series, as it sounds the least ricey to me.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
all mufflers go to shit after a certain time, its just regular wear and tear.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
I have had mine for two years and there is some rust on the welds of the muffler but thats it. My old man has had the same flowmaster since 02 and it's still going strong.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
All mufflers that aren't fully stainless (EXPENSIVE) will rust.

Falling apart after 3 years? Doubtful....

I have a Flowmaster 50 and it's got typical rust on it after a year or so.

What was his price quotes?

If you're still interested in the Flowmaster 50 - you can get the dual exit kit online. There was a place online that had it for $310 but the price has since gone up to like $365. I know you can find it cheaper than that.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not to sure but I have had my 50 series installed for about 5 months now and I have also noticed some rust on it but it doesn't bother me. I will let you know after another 2 1/2 years if it goes to crap!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

If you're still interested in the Flowmaster 50 - you can get the dual exit kit online. There was a place online that had it for $310 but the price has since gone up to like $365. I know you can find it cheaper than that.
Yep, I've noticed this on my flowmaster 50 as well. It was mounted vertically for some reason too. So you can see the bottom half of it when you're looking at the passenger side of the truck. Is yours like this? Anybody?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
Yep, I've noticed this on my flowmaster 50 as well. It was mounted vertically for some reason too. So you can see the bottom half of it when you're looking at the passenger side of the truck. Is yours like this? Anybody?
The muffler should not have been installed vertically! Do you have the single in dual out 50 series?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think it's single in, single out. I guess the guy that welded it couldn't get it to fit flat up in there so one edge of it kinda hangs down. Haven't had any probs. with it though. I'd like to see a pic. of a correctly installed one so I can compare. Know of any on the site?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
I think it's single in, single out. I guess the guy that welded it couldn't get it to fit flat up in there so one edge of it kinda hangs down. Haven't had any probs. with it though. I'd like to see a pic. of a correctly installed one so I can compare. Know of any on the site?
No I don't. Everyone I know has a single in, dual out exhaust that you can't hang vertically, thats why I was just wondering!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #10

Does this look strange or what...
I'm gonna be pissed if this isn't the way it should have been installed. I've been driving it this way for four years now. I may be extremely naive.
Attached Thumbnails
Flowmaster Rust?-picture-001.jpg   Flowmaster Rust?-picture-002.jpg   Flowmaster Rust?-picture-003.jpg  
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
I'm gonna be pissed if this isn't the way it should have been installed. I've been driving it this way for four years now. I may be extremely naive.
Jeez. I can't say for sure. But if its been 4 years. It should be good to go!!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.

Here is my 50 series...

Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Jeez. I can't say for sure. But if its been 4 years. It should be good to go!!
x2 That isn't all that bad. Remember there is condensation in exhaust and it will collect in the muffler if there isn't a weap hole.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #14

Thanks man. I'm a bit concerned because it looks like the muffler could have been a dual out and one of the outlets was capped off. Even more concerning is that end with the possible "cap" is where the exhaust is coming IN which would mean it's backwards (I think).
Old 06-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Thanks man. I'm a bit concerned because it looks like the muffler could have been a dual out and one of the outlets was capped off. Even more concerning is that end with the possible "cap" is where the exhaust is coming IN which would mean it's backwards (I think).
Yeah you might be right on that one. That is what it looks like!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #16

Ha, ha it's a new mod!
Trying to stay positive here--At least it sounds and breathes better than that "trash can" of a muffler that came stock.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

I really don't wanna go w/ a dual exit, and don't have the $$ for a cat back right now. He told me he would weld it in for $50, plus the price of the muffler. Said if it sucked, he'd cut it out for free and put in the stock one again.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i dont really see anything wrong with mounting it vertically like that.. as long as you dont do constant short trips the exhaust gets hot enough to evaporate most all condensation. and those "caps" you are seeing are just how the flowmaster is made.. mines the same way. i'm really happy with mine...
Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #19

Yeah, thanks. I'm not concerned with the condensation issue at all, I was just a little panicked that the guy who installed it put it in backwards because all of the other Tacomas I've seen with the Flowmaster had theirs horizontally. Got any pictures of yours? I'd like to check it out.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i can take some.. i'll post them later.